Old 02-04-2008, 07:14 AM
Mick

Default Portage behaviour with Masked packages - Gaim

Hi All,

Kevin's previous message alerted me to the fact that Gaim has been deprecated.
Sure enough I see this:

[D] net-im/gaim
Available versions:
[M] 1.5.0 [cjk debug eds gnutls krb4 nas nls perl silc
spell tcl tk]
Installed versions: 1.5.0(00:46:02 08/15/07)(nls perl
spell -cjk -debug -eds -gnutls -krb4 -nas -silc -tcl -tk)
Homepage: http://gaim.sourceforge.net/

However, when I try to update world nothing comes up to tell me that Gaim is
no more:

# emerge -upDv world

Calculating world dependencies... done!

Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 kB

Last I recall, portage would tell you that a particular package is no longer
in the tree and ask you to unmerge it. What's up here?

Some additional info:
# less /etc/portage/package.keywords | grep net-im/gaim
#
# less /etc/portage/package.mask | grep -i net-im/gaim
#
# emerge -pDv gaim

Calculating dependencies -
!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "gaim" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- net-im/gaim-1.5.0 (masked by: package.mask)
/usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
# Olivier Crete <tester@gentoo.org> (08 Dec 2007)
# Remove gaim and its plugins (now its called pidgin)

For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man page or
refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

# emerge -pDv pidgin

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild N ] dev-python/pyrex-0.9.4.1 0 kB
[ebuild N ] dev-python/dbus-python-0.80.2 USE="-test" 443 kB
[ebuild N ] media-libs/gst-plugins-good-0.10.6 USE="-debug" 0 kB
[ebuild N ] net-im/pidgin-2.2.1 USE="dbus gstreamer ncurses nls perl
spell -bonjour -debug -doc -eds -gadu -gnutls -groupwise -gtk -meanwhile
(-networkmanager) -prediction -qq -sasl -silc -tcl -tk -zephyr" 8,674 kB

Total: 4 packages (4 new), Size of downloads: 9,117 kB
Mick

Old 02-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Michael Sullivan

Old 02-04-2008, 01:12 PM
Michael Schmarck

Michael Sullivan <michael@espersunited.com> wrote:

> Why is gaim no longer in portage? *Is it dead upstream?

It has been renamed to Pidgin in 2007 to prevent some legal
issues with AOL and their AIM product.

Michael

Old 02-04-2008, 02:11 PM
Mick

On Monday 04 February 2008, Michael Schmarck wrote:
> Michael Sullivan <michael@espersunited.com> wrote:
> > Why is gaim no longer in portage? *Is it dead upstream?
>
> It has been renamed to Pidgin in 2007 to prevent some legal
> issues with AOL and their AIM product.

From Michael Sullivan's comment shall I assume that you also did not see the
portage warning about Gaim-over (pun intended) or perhaps you never had Gaim
installed?

Anyone else who can confirm that they have Gaim installed but not seen the
portage warning?
Mick

Old 02-04-2008, 02:15 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Monday 04 February 2008, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> Why is gaim no longer in portage? *Is it dead upstream?

It's been dead for some time since AOL had a hissy fit over the name.

The new gaim is now called pidgin. It's not a new product really, just a
version bump that is a name change.

It was hard masked in portage very recently. Unfortunately for gaim
users, the upgrade consists of unmerge gaim, merge pidgin, import
settings.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 02-04-2008, 02:47 PM
Mick

On Monday 04 February 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Monday 04 February 2008, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> > Why is gaim no longer in portage? *Is it dead upstream?
>
> It's been dead for some time since AOL had a hissy fit over the name.
>
> The new gaim is now called pidgin. It's not a new product really, just a
> version bump that is a name change.
>
> It was hard masked in portage very recently. Unfortunately for gaim
> users, the upgrade consists of unmerge gaim, merge pidgin, import
> settings.

OK, I can surely do that, but shouldn't portage warn me about Gaim being hard
masked? Is my portage borked, or is this behaviour no longer valid/expected?
Mick

Old 02-04-2008, 02:55 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On 2/4/08, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
On Monday 04 February 2008, Michael Schmarck wrote:
> Michael Sullivan <michael@espersunited.com> wrote:
> > Why is gaim no longer in portage?**Is it dead upstream?

> It has been renamed to Pidgin in 2007 to prevent some legal
> issues with AOL and their AIM product.

From Michael Sullivan's comment shall I assume that you also did not see the
portage warning about Gaim-over (pun intended) or perhaps you never had Gaim

installed?

Anyone else who can confirm that they have Gaim installed but not seen the
portage warning?
--
I can; and I'm the OP.*

I don't know where the warning would have been seen; generally there's so much stuff

that any particular item has to really push to be noticed.* But at that time, all ewarn and einfo
messages were being mailed to me, but I don't remember seeing this.

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 02-04-2008, 02:59 PM
Willie Wong

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 03:11:55PM +0000, Mick wrote:
> From Michael Sullivan's comment shall I assume that you also did not see the
> portage warning about Gaim-over (pun intended) or perhaps you never had Gaim
> installed?
>
> Anyone else who can confirm that they have Gaim installed but not seen the
> portage warning?

Yes, I can confirm that. emerge --search gaim brings up

* net-im/gaim [ Masked ]
Latest version available: 1.5.0
Latest version installed: 1.5.0
Size of files: 5,979 kB
Homepage: http://gaim.sourceforge.net/
License: GPL-2

I do know about the pidgin/gaim thing from reading this mailing list.
But even in my recent emerge --update --deep world the fact that gaim
is hardmasked was not mentioned. For example, emerge --pretend
--update --deep world only mentions the following

[10:55 AM]wwong ~ $ emerge --pretend --update --deep world

Calculating world dependencies... done!
[ebuild U ] sys-libs/db-1.85-r3 [1.85-r2]
[ebuild U ] mail-client/mutt-1.5.16 [1.5.13-r1] USE="-qdbm% -sidebar% -smtp%"
[ebuild U ] app-emulation/wine-0.9.46 [0.9.8-r1] USE="xml%* -dbus% -hal%"
[ebuild U ] media-video/mplayer-1.0_rc2_p24929-r1 [1.0_rc1-r2] USE="a52%* mp3%* pnm%* quicktime%* srt%* -amrnb% -amrwb% -cddb% -cdio% -ftp% -ladspa% -md5sum% -mp2% -nemesi% -pulseaudio% -radio% -rar% (-ssse3) -teletext% -tivo% -vidix% -zoran%" VIDEO_CARDS="-mga% -s3virge% -tdfx% -vesa%"
[ebuild U ] media-sound/lilypond-2.10.33 [2.5.2] USE="-debug% -emacs% -profile%"
[ebuild U ] x11-wm/enlightenment-0.16.8.10 [0.16.8.8]

Only if I directly specify emerge gaim or emerge --emptytree world
will it show the warning that "All ebuilds that could satisfy gaim
have been masked".

Willie W. Wong wwong@math.princeton.edu
408 Fine Hall, Department of Mathematics, Princeton University, Princeton
A mathematician's reputation rests on the number of bad proofs he has given.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:01 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On 2/4/08, Michael Sullivan <michael@espersunited.com> wrote:

On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 15:11 +0000, Mick wrote:
> On Monday 04 February 2008, Michael Schmarck wrote:
> > Michael Sullivan <michael@espersunited.com> wrote:

> > > Why is gaim no longer in portage?**Is it dead upstream?
> >
> > It has been renamed to Pidgin in 2007 to prevent some legal
> > issues with AOL and their AIM product.
>

> From Michael Sullivan's comment shall I assume that you also did not see the

> portage warning about Gaim-over (pun intended) or perhaps you never had Gaim
> installed?
>
> Anyone else who can confirm that they have Gaim installed but not seen the
> portage warning?

I have gaim installed, and I use it every day, but I haven't seen any
warnings from portage.**Will pidgin**be able to read my ~/.gaim/* files?
Yes.* But be aware that if you keep logs of your IM and chat traffic, that the first time pidgin starts will take a LONG time.* But when it's over, you will have everything, or at least I did.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 02-04-2008, 03:07 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Monday 04 February 2008, Mick wrote:
> On Monday 04 February 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > On Monday 04 February 2008, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> > > Why is gaim no longer in portage? *Is it dead upstream?
> >
> > It's been dead for some time since AOL had a hissy fit over the
> > name.
> >
> > The new gaim is now called pidgin. It's not a new product really,
> > just a version bump that is a name change.
> >
> > It was hard masked in portage very recently. Unfortunately for gaim
> > users, the upgrade consists of unmerge gaim, merge pidgin, import
> > settings.
>
> OK, I can surely do that, but shouldn't portage warn me about Gaim
> being hard masked? Is my portage borked, or is this behaviour no
> longer valid/expected?

No, there's nothing wrong with your system. Portage will allow you to
have an installed package that isn't in the tree anymore as a copy of
the ebuild is in /var somewhere. Maybe if you set verbose logging it
will alert you but this isn't an error. If it were, people would be
forced to remove stuff everytime some dev masked a package on a whim.

Remerging gaim is another story, then portage will correctly tell you
that it can't do the update.

In short, your gentoo is working correctly as designed.