FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-03-2008, 10:08 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"
 
Default Belated switchover to pidgin from gaim, fails silently

I just got around to noticing that my "gaim" IM client is deprecated.
I emerged pidgin and it shows up in the menus, but all attempts to start it silently fail.
I tried looking in /var/log/*, for instance, and get nothing.* Grepping there for 'pidgin' and still nothing.

Does anybody want to help me guess?

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD
 
Old 02-03-2008, 10:15 PM
Mateusz Mierzwinski
 
Default Belated switchover to pidgin from gaim, fails silently

Kevin O'Gorman pisze:

I just got around to noticing that my "gaim" IM client is deprecated.
I emerged pidgin and it shows up in the menus, but all attempts to
start it silently fail.
I tried looking in /var/log/*, for instance, and get nothing.
Grepping there for 'pidgin' and still nothing.

Does anybody want to help me guess?


--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD
Try to change name of directory in Your home - .gaim to someelse. Next
try to start pidgin. If it fails, then run emerge --sync && emerge
pidgin -va (set flags for things you need) and next try to run again. If
renaming of .gaim catalog help's then this is incompatibility of
configure files or some archives. Try to experiment. IF somethings
happend, wrote here.


Mateusz M.
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 02-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Brian Marshall
 
Default Belated switchover to pidgin from gaim, fails silently

On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 15:08:34 -0800
"Kevin O'Gorman" <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just got around to noticing that my "gaim" IM client is deprecated.
> I emerged pidgin and it shows up in the menus, but all attempts to
> start it silently fail.
> I tried looking in /var/log/*, for instance, and get nothing.
> Grepping there for 'pidgin' and still nothing.
> Does anybody want to help me guess?
>
>
You aren't going to get any /var/logs for a failed program like Pidgin.
Try starting it from a terminal, where you should get output.


Brian
 
Old 02-03-2008, 11:16 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"
 
Default Belated switchover to pidgin from gaim, fails silently

On Feb 3, 2008 3:26 PM, Brian Marshall <snail@beyondboredom.net> wrote:

On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 15:08:34 -0800
"Kevin O'Gorman" <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just got around to noticing that my "gaim" IM client is deprecated.

> I emerged pidgin and it shows up in the menus, but all attempts to
> start it silently fail.
> I tried looking in /var/log/*, for instance, and get nothing.
> Grepping there for 'pidgin' and still nothing.

> Does anybody want to help me guess?
>
>
You aren't going to get any /var/logs for a failed program like Pidgin.
Try starting it from a terminal, where you should get output.



* * * *Brian

Starting from a terminal also dies silently.

I tried running it under strace(1), and it appears that it's doing a poll(6, ...) followed by a read(6, ...)
on a socket, and the read errors out with EAGAIN.* Pidgin promptly dies without a message.* Pidgin

had written to this socket, but it was binary and I don't recongnze the contents.* The last few:

writev(6, [{"l4114%w11o36/im/pidg"..., 136}, {"35", 4}], 2) = 140

munmap(0xb69c2000, 16944)************** = 0
writev(6, [{"l4114&w11o36/im/pidg"..., 136}, {"36", 4}], 2) = 140
writev(6, [{"l4114'w11o36/im/pidg"..., 136}, {"37", 4}], 2) = 140

munmap(0xb69b5000, 8400)*************** = 0
munmap(0xb69b2000, 8364)*************** = 0
writev(6, [{"l4114(w11o36/im/pidg"..., 136}, {"!", 4}], 2) = 140

munmap(0xb69ae000, 12772)************** = 0
munmap(0xb69aa000, 12616)************** = 0
writev(6, [{"l4114)w11o36/im/pidg"..., 136}, {"#", 4}], 2) = 140

munmap(0xb6819000, 96672)************** = 0
munmap(0xb69a6000, 12552)************** = 0
munmap(0xb69a2000, 12616)************** = 0
munmap(0xb6810000, 33468)************** = 0
munmap(0xb699e000, 12584)************** = 0

munmap(0xb680d000, 8396)*************** = 0
writev(6, [{"l4114*w11o36/im/pidg"..., 136}, {")", 4}], 2) = 140
munmap(0xb67fa000, 76400)************** = 0

writev(6, [{"l4114+w11o36/im/pidg"..., 136}, {"*", 4}], 2) = 140
munmap(0xb67e6000, 79420)************** = 0
writev(6, [{"l4114,w11o36/im/pidg"..., 136}, {"+", 4}], 2) = 140

munmap(0xb67e2000, 12836)************** = 0
munmap(0xb67ac000, 218892)************* = 0
writev(6, [{"l4114-w11o36/im/pidg"..., 136}, {",", 4}], 2) = 140

munmap(0xb6791000, 107488)************* = 0
munmap(0xb678d000, 12592)************** = 0
writev(6, [{"l4114.w11o36/im/pidg"..., 136}, {"/", 4}], 2) = 140

munmap(0xb678a000, 8676)*************** = 0
munmap(0xb6831000, 250056)************* = 0

...


gettimeofday({1202082681, 583620}, NULL) = 0
gettimeofday({1202082681, 584464}, NULL) = 0
writev(6, [{"l11#/17711o25/org/fre"..., 144}, {"36im.pidgin.purple.PurpleServi"..., 35}], 2) = 179

gettimeofday({1202082681, 585299}, NULL) = 0
poll([{fd=6, events=POLLIN, revents=POLLIN}], 1, 25000) = 1
read(6, "l21144=61s4:1.3"..., 2048) = 84


++ kevin


--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD
 
Old 02-03-2008, 11:17 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"
 
Default Belated switchover to pidgin from gaim, fails silently

On Feb 3, 2008 4:16 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:



On Feb 3, 2008 3:26 PM, Brian Marshall <snail@beyondboredom.net> wrote:


On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 15:08:34 -0800
"Kevin O'Gorman" <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just got around to noticing that my "gaim" IM client is deprecated.


> I emerged pidgin and it shows up in the menus, but all attempts to
> start it silently fail.
> I tried looking in /var/log/*, for instance, and get nothing.
> Grepping there for 'pidgin' and still nothing.


> Does anybody want to help me guess?
>
>
You aren't going to get any /var/logs for a failed program like Pidgin.
Try starting it from a terminal, where you should get output.




* * * *Brian

Starting from a terminal also dies silently.

I tried running it under strace(1), and it appears that it's doing a poll(6, ...) followed by a read(6, ...)

on a socket, and the read errors out with EAGAIN.* Pidgin promptly dies without a message.* Pidgin

had written to this socket, but it was binary and I don't recongnze the contents.* The last few:

writev(6, [{"l4114%w11o36/im/pidg"..., 136}, {"35", 4}], 2) = 140


munmap(0xb69c2000, 16944)************** = 0
writev(6, [{"l4114&w11o36/im/pidg"..., 136}, {"36", 4}], 2) = 140
writev(6, [{"l4114'w11o36/im/pidg"..., 136}, {"37", 4}], 2) = 140


munmap(0xb69b5000, 8400)*************** = 0
munmap(0xb69b2000, 8364)*************** = 0
writev(6, [{"l4114(w11o36/im/pidg"..., 136}, {"!", 4}], 2) = 140


munmap(0xb69ae000, 12772)************** = 0
munmap(0xb69aa000, 12616)************** = 0
writev(6, [{"l4114)w11o36/im/pidg"..., 136}, {"#", 4}], 2) = 140


munmap(0xb6819000, 96672)************** = 0
munmap(0xb69a6000, 12552)************** = 0
munmap(0xb69a2000, 12616)************** = 0
munmap(0xb6810000, 33468)************** = 0
munmap(0xb699e000, 12584)************** = 0


munmap(0xb680d000, 8396)*************** = 0
writev(6, [{"l4114*w11o36/im/pidg"..., 136}, {")", 4}], 2) = 140
munmap(0xb67fa000, 76400)************** = 0


writev(6, [{"l4114+w11o36/im/pidg"..., 136}, {"*", 4}], 2) = 140
munmap(0xb67e6000, 79420)************** = 0
writev(6, [{"l4114,w11o36/im/pidg"..., 136}, {"+", 4}], 2) = 140


munmap(0xb67e2000, 12836)************** = 0
munmap(0xb67ac000, 218892)************* = 0
writev(6, [{"l4114-w11o36/im/pidg"..., 136}, {",", 4}], 2) = 140


munmap(0xb6791000, 107488)************* = 0
munmap(0xb678d000, 12592)************** = 0
writev(6, [{"l4114.w11o36/im/pidg"..., 136}, {"/", 4}], 2) = 140


munmap(0xb678a000, 8676)*************** = 0
munmap(0xb6831000, 250056)************* = 0

...


gettimeofday({1202082681, 583620}, NULL) = 0
gettimeofday({1202082681, 584464}, NULL) = 0
writev(6, [{"l11#/17711o25/org/fre"..., 144}, {"36im.pidgin.purple.PurpleServi"..., 35}], 2) = 179


gettimeofday({1202082681, 585299}, NULL) = 0
poll([{fd=6, events=POLLIN, revents=POLLIN}], 1, 25000) = 1
read(6, "l21144=61s4:1.3"..., 2048) = 84


++ kevin



--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD


More info: pidgin works fine if I'm the root user.* How that fits in with socket ops I do not know.
--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD
 
Old 02-03-2008, 11:19 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"
 
Default Belated switchover to pidgin from gaim, fails silently

On Feb 3, 2008 3:15 PM, Mateusz Mierzwinski <mateuszmierzwinski@o2.pl> wrote:

Kevin O'Gorman pisze:
> I just got around to noticing that my "gaim" IM client is deprecated.
> I emerged pidgin and it shows up in the menus, but all attempts to

> start it silently fail.
> I tried looking in /var/log/*, for instance, and get nothing.
> Grepping there for 'pidgin' and still nothing.
> Does anybody want to help me guess?
>
>

> --
> Kevin O'Gorman, PhD
Try to change name of directory in Your home - .gaim to someelse. Next
try to start pidgin. If it fails, then run emerge --sync && emerge
pidgin -va (set flags for things you need) and next try to run again. If

renaming of .gaim catalog help's then this is incompatibility of
configure files or some archives. Try to experiment. IF somethings
happend, wrote here.

Mateusz M.
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list


renaming .gaim to "dot.gaim" makes no difference.

I did not re-emerge it, but found that it works if I'm the root user.

++ kevin



--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD
 
Old 02-04-2008, 07:50 AM
Mateusz Mierzwinski
 
Default Belated switchover to pidgin from gaim, fails silently

Kevin O'Gorman pisze:
On Feb 3, 2008 3:15 PM, Mateusz Mierzwinski <mateuszmierzwinski@o2.pl
<mailto:mateuszmierzwinski@o2.pl>> wrote:


Kevin O'Gorman pisze:
> I just got around to noticing that my "gaim" IM client is
deprecated.
> I emerged pidgin and it shows up in the menus, but all attempts to
> start it silently fail.
> I tried looking in /var/log/*, for instance, and get nothing.
> Grepping there for 'pidgin' and still nothing.
> Does anybody want to help me guess?
>
>
> --
> Kevin O'Gorman, PhD
Try to change name of directory in Your home - .gaim to someelse. Next
try to start pidgin. If it fails, then run emerge --sync && emerge
pidgin -va (set flags for things you need) and next try to run
again. If
renaming of .gaim catalog help's then this is incompatibility of
configure files or some archives. Try to experiment. IF somethings
happend, wrote here.

Mateusz M.
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org <mailto:gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org>
mailing list


renaming .gaim to "dot.gaim" makes no difference.

I did not re-emerge it, but found that it works if I'm the root user.

++ kevin



--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

You should get pidgin in Your group. Set correct rights to app and libs.
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 02-05-2008, 04:17 AM
"Kevin O'Gorman"
 
Default Belated switchover to pidgin from gaim, fails silently

On Feb 4, 2008 12:50 AM, Mateusz Mierzwinski <mateuszmierzwinski@o2.pl> wrote:

Kevin O'Gorman pisze:
> On Feb 3, 2008 3:15 PM, Mateusz Mierzwinski <mateuszmierzwinski@o2.pl
> <mailto:mateuszmierzwinski@o2.pl>> wrote:

>
> * * Kevin O'Gorman pisze:
> * * > I just got around to noticing that my "gaim" IM client is
> * * deprecated.
> * * > I emerged pidgin and it shows up in the menus, but all attempts to

> * * > start it silently fail.
> * * > I tried looking in /var/log/*, for instance, and get nothing.
> * * > Grepping there for 'pidgin' and still nothing.
> * * > Does anybody want to help me guess?

> * * >
> * * >
> * * > --
> * * > Kevin O'Gorman, PhD
> * * Try to change name of directory in Your home - .gaim to someelse. Next
> * * try to start pidgin. If it fails, then run emerge --sync && emerge

> * * pidgin -va (set flags for things you need) and next try to run
> * * again. If
> * * renaming of .gaim catalog help's then this is incompatibility of
> * * configure files or some archives. Try to experiment. IF somethings

> * * happend, wrote here.
>
> * * Mateusz M.
> * * --
> * * gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org <mailto:gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org>

> * * mailing list
>
>
> renaming .gaim to "dot.gaim" makes no difference.
>
> I did not re-emerge it, but found that it works if I'm the root user.
>

> ++ kevin
>
>
>
> --
> Kevin O'Gorman, PhD
You should get pidgin in Your group. Set correct rights to app and libs.
--

gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list


I'm not clear on what that means.* I don't think I'm going to fool around with file permissions on an installed package.


In any event, it turns out that after I ran pidgin as root, it started to work for me as a user too.* Go figure.* I'm not gonna mess with it.* I'm going on to the other things that still don't work.


++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:14 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org