FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-03-2008, 08:27 PM
"Mark Knecht"
 
Default ext3 for Windows XP/Vista?

With an eye toward sharing some directories on my Gentoo machines with
either Windows machines across my network or just making ext3
partitions available when I'm forced to dual boot and find I want
something for my trip to the dark side I'm wondering if there are any
'better' ext2/3 drivers for Windows XP and Vista?

I'm looking at this one

http://www.fs-driver.org/download.html

but don't feel I know what makes one good or bad so maybe someone here
has experience they could share?

I'd really like to share my ext3 file server with my Windows machines
without being forced to use windows file systems.

Thanks,
Mark
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 02-03-2008, 11:00 PM
Pupino
 
Default ext3 for Windows XP/Vista?

2008/2/3, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>:
> With an eye toward sharing some directories on my Gentoo machines with
> either Windows machines across my network or just making ext3
> partitions available when I'm forced to dual boot and find I want
> something for my trip to the dark side I'm wondering if there are any
> 'better' ext2/3 drivers for Windows XP and Vista?
>
> I'm looking at this one
>
> http://www.fs-driver.org/download.html
>
> but don't feel I know what makes one good or bad so maybe someone here
> has experience they could share?
>
> I'd really like to share my ext3 file server with my Windows machines
> without being forced to use windows file systems.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark
> --
> gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
>
>

Hi Mark,
I'm using that driver on windows vista from some weeks ago till now
and it seems to give no trouble... You can see your linux partition
just as an ordinary windows partition...

Apart this i don't know if this could be considered a good/bad driver...
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 02-03-2008, 11:13 PM
"Mark Knecht"
 
Default ext3 for Windows XP/Vista?

On Feb 3, 2008 4:00 PM, Pupino <pupinux@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/2/3, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>:
>
> > With an eye toward sharing some directories on my Gentoo machines with
> > either Windows machines across my network or just making ext3
> > partitions available when I'm forced to dual boot and find I want
> > something for my trip to the dark side I'm wondering if there are any
> > 'better' ext2/3 drivers for Windows XP and Vista?
> >
> > I'm looking at this one
> >
> > http://www.fs-driver.org/download.html
> >
> > but don't feel I know what makes one good or bad so maybe someone here
> > has experience they could share?
> >
> > I'd really like to share my ext3 file server with my Windows machines
> > without being forced to use windows file systems.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mark
> > --
> > gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
> >
> >
>
> Hi Mark,
> I'm using that driver on windows vista from some weeks ago till now
> and it seems to give no trouble... You can see your linux partition
> just as an ordinary windows partition...
>
> Apart this i don't know if this could be considered a good/bad driver...
> --
> gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
>
>

Thank you sir. I shall consider that a good enough recommendation to
give it a try.

Cheers,
Mark
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 02-03-2008, 11:19 PM
"Mark Knecht"
 
Default ext3 for Windows XP/Vista?

On Feb 3, 2008 4:13 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Feb 3, 2008 4:00 PM, Pupino <pupinux@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Mark,
> > I'm using that driver on windows vista from some weeks ago till now
> > and it seems to give no trouble... You can see your linux partition
> > just as an ordinary windows partition...
> >
> > Apart this i don't know if this could be considered a good/bad driver...
> > --
>
> Thank you sir. I shall consider that a good enough recommendation to
> give it a try.
>

Hey, nice. Less than 2 minutes later I'm listening to music under
Windows playing off of my ext3 music partition on this machine. I set
up the driver as read only until I get more confidence with it.

Cheers,
Mark
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 02-04-2008, 05:19 AM
Dan Farrell
 
Default ext3 for Windows XP/Vista?

On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 13:27:50 -0800
"Mark Knecht" <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd really like to share my ext3 file server with my Windows machines
> without being forced to use windows file systems.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

If you want to get files to windows hosts that aren't running
(dual-boot), you can do so with ntfs-3g which is a FUSE filesystem that
can write to NTFS.

If the systems are running alongside the linux, use SMB/CIFS -- serve
on windows if you don't want those 'filesystems' to access your
linux. I don't trust SMB shares either, but putting data from linux
onto them is no different than putting files on there with a flash
drive or disc.

--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 02-04-2008, 06:33 AM
"Liviu Andronic"
 
Default ext3 for Windows XP/Vista?

On 2/3/08, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> With an eye toward sharing some directories on my Gentoo machines with
> either Windows machines across my network or just making ext3
> partitions available when I'm forced to dual boot and find I want
> something for my trip to the dark side I'm wondering if there are any
> 'better' ext2/3 drivers for Windows XP and Vista?

This will not give you information much different to that already
presented, but could still take a look here [1].

Liviu

[1] http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Lightweight_package_selection_(using_Xfce_an d_suitable_for_office_usage)#Choosing_the_filesyst em
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:58 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org