Old 02-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Dan Farrell

Default network setup

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 18:50:51 +0000
Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday 28 January 2008, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 11:10:18 +0100, Stefán István wrote:
> > > can I set up the network startup so that eth0 first tries to get
> > > address from a dhcp server, and if it doesn't get any, it sets up
> > > with a fixed address? How can I set up this in the /etc/con.d/net?
> >
> > config_eth0=( "dhcp" )
> > fallback_eth0=( "aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd" )
> > fallback_route_eth0=( "blah" )
> >
> > See /etc/conf.d/net.example
>
> As I understand it this only allows for one fallback type of address
> (e.g. 192.168.0.0). If you connect to different routers which have
> different LAN address (192.168.0.0, 192.168.2.0, 10.10.10.0, etc.)
> then I guess you'll need some sort of additional script?

That appears to be correct, according to net.example only one fallback
route can be accepted.

You might try a postup function that checks to see whether dhcp is
successful and, if not, sets your additional routes manually.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:57 PM
Joe Bissett

I am a VERY new user.

I struggled setting up a network between a Ubuntu 10.10 box, and XP box
and a W98 box using a NetGear router. I was successful connecting the
two Windows boxes, but the Ubuntu box would not join the network.

Three days ago after installing a large number of Ubuntu automatic
updates, the Ubuntu box started showing the Microsoft Network icon, but
nothing actually showed up within it.

I went into Accessories / smb4k and the network name MSHOME was shown.
When I double clicked on MSHOME, a KDE Wallet user name / password
screen appeared, which expected the information for the host XP box.

I screwed up the password, and I received an error message. I no longer
can get to that sign in screen in KDE Wallet to put in the proper
information. I have even done a cold shutdown / restart, but now when I
double click on MSHOME, I get the same error message.

I need some NEWBIE type help to be able to get back to that User Name /
Password screen. I am comfortable with Command Line (from Windows
experience) but am very lame so far on the Linux commands.

Thanks in advance, Joe

Old 01-28-2011, 11:37 PM
NoOp

On 01/25/2011 05:57 AM, Joe Bissett wrote:
> I am a VERY new user.
>
> I struggled setting up a network between a Ubuntu 10.10 box, and XP box
> and a W98 box using a NetGear router. I was successful connecting the
> two Windows boxes, but the Ubuntu box would not join the network.
>
> Three days ago after installing a large number of Ubuntu automatic
> updates, the Ubuntu box started showing the Microsoft Network icon, but
> nothing actually showed up within it.
>
> I went into Accessories / smb4k and the network name MSHOME was shown.
> When I double clicked on MSHOME, a KDE Wallet user name / password
> screen appeared, which expected the information for the host XP box.
>
> I screwed up the password, and I received an error message. I no longer
> can get to that sign in screen in KDE Wallet to put in the proper
> information. I have even done a cold shutdown / restart, but now when I
> double click on MSHOME, I get the same error message.
>
> I need some NEWBIE type help to be able to get back to that User Name /
> Password screen. I am comfortable with Command Line (from Windows
> experience) but am very lame so far on the Linux commands.

Joe, did you get this sorted out or do you still need help?

Old 01-29-2011, 03:10 PM
Joe Bissett