Old 02-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Dan Farrell

Default Postfix problem

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 12:58:32 +0100
Mateusz Mierzwinski <mateuszmierzwinski@o2.pl> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have problem with postfix. I just want to send email to other mail
> server from my new postfix/courier server.

Could you elaborate on your configuration? Are you...
- relaying mail to a specific domain (or group of domains)?
- forwarding all mail the box receives to another computer
(a bad idea) ?
- sending local mail as an MX Host / Mail Hub for a local network?
- something else?

> Every time I write address
> different then local server (postfix) returns info "5.7.1 (some
> address): Relay access denied". What should I do? I don't know is it
> forwarding or relaying. What is wrong?

It sounds like a fixable problem, but I'm not sure what you're trying
to achieve. Want to post your main.cf?

Old 10-15-2008, 10:34 AM
Paolo Supino

Hi

I have a CentOS 4.2 server with postfix. The problem I'm having is
that postfix insists on using $myhostname in the from field even if I
instruct it to use $mydomain in /etc/postfix/main.cf or even if I hard
code the domain name into $myorigin. What am I missing?

BTW: postconf shows output shows that $myorigin is configured to use
$mydomain, or the domain name itself ...

--
ttyl
Paolo

Old 10-15-2008, 10:53 AM
"Brian"

On Wed, October 15, 2008 6:34 am, Paolo Supino wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a CentOS 4.2 server with postfix. The problem I'm having is
> that postfix insists on using $myhostname in the from field even if I
> instruct it to use $mydomain in /etc/postfix/main.cf or even if I hard
> code the domain name into $myorigin. What am I missing?
>

> BTW: postconf shows output shows that $myorigin is configured to use
> $mydomain, or the domain name itself ...
>

> --
> ttyl
> Paolo

Could you post output of # postconf -n

Brian

Old 10-15-2008, 12:38 PM
John Plemons

Try installing WebMin and configure Postfix using their interface and
see if that works for you...* It is menu driven and a quick and easy
way to configure your server...

john

CentOS@centos.org

Old 10-15-2008, 12:44 PM
mouss

Paolo Supino a écrit :
> Hi
>
> I have a CentOS 4.2 server with postfix. The problem I'm having is
> that postfix insists on using $myhostname in the from field even if I

Prove that it is postfix that does so, and not Sendmail. show logs.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:49 PM
Paolo Supino

John Plemons wrote:
> Try installing WebMin and configure Postfix using their interface and
> see if that works for you... It is menu driven and a quick and easy way
> to configure your server...
>
> john
>

> Paolo Supino wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I have a CentOS 4.2 server with postfix. The problem I'm having is
>> that postfix insists on using $myhostname in the from field even if I
>> instruct it to use $mydomain in /etc/postfix/main.cf or even if I hard
>> code the domain name into $myorigin. What am I missing?
>>

>> BTW: postconf shows output shows that $myorigin is configured to use
>> $mydomain, or the domain name itself ...
>>

>> --
>> ttyl
>> Paolo

Hi
Webmin is installed and the changes were initially carried out through
webmin, but after I noticed that there is no change in the from field I
checked to see if webmin changes the right file (it did) and also tried
to set main.cf manually (which didn't help).

--
TIA
Paolo

Old 10-15-2008, 07:51 PM
Paolo Supino

mouss wrote:
> Paolo Supino a écrit :
>> Hi
>>
>> I have a CentOS 4.2 server with postfix. The problem I'm having is
>> that postfix insists on using $myhostname in the from field even if I
>
> Prove that it is postfix that does so, and not Sendmail. show logs.
>
>> instruct it to use $mydomain in /etc/postfix/main.cf or even if I hard
>> code the domain name into $myorigin. What am I missing?
>>

>> BTW: postconf shows output shows that $myorigin is configured to use
>> $mydomain, or the domain name itself ...

Hi
I didn't think of checking if Sendmail is the one sending the email or
not. I will have to check this out.
I will only have access to this server next Wednesday. So until then I
can't check anything or post anything ...

==
TIA
Paolo

Old 10-16-2008, 03:34 PM
mouss

Paolo Supino a écrit :

> Hi
> I didn't think of checking if Sendmail is the one sending the email or
> not. I will have to check this out.
> I will only have access to this server next Wednesday. So until then I
> can't check anything or post anything ...

If you find that it's sendmail, use alternatives to set the MTA to
postfix instead (and stop Sendmail as you don't need it anymore, and
having two different MTAs on a box generally results in surprises).

if that's not the problem, ask on the postfix-users list. There show the
output of 'postconf -n' and relevant logs. you can hide private domains
and IPs but do so coherently (use example.com, example.org, example.net
or whateveryouwant.example for domains, and use 192.0.2.* for "public"
IPs. but make your substitution a "one to one" mapping).