Old 02-02-2008, 09:07 PM
Mick

Default VNC viewer in listening mode

Hi All,

Would you know if krdc can work in listening mode (like the traditional
vncviewer can?).

If krdc won't cut it, then should I emerge vnc or tightvnc? Which is better?
I'm only interested on the viewer part to connect to a remote WinXP machine
which is seating behind a firewall.
Mick

Old 02-04-2008, 08:05 AM
Etaoin Shrdlu

On Saturday 2 February 2008, Mick wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Would you know if krdc can work in listening mode (like the
> traditional vncviewer can?).
>
> If krdc won't cut it, then should I emerge vnc or tightvnc? Which is
> better? I'm only interested on the viewer part to connect to a remote
> WinXP machine which is seating behind a firewall.

AFAIK, both realvnc and tightvnc clients can run in listen mode.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:17 AM
Etaoin Shrdlu

On Monday 4 February 2008, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:

> AFAIK, both realvnc and tightvnc clients can run in listen mode.

I must add that, depending on the VNC server installed on the windows
box, listening mode might not work correctly.

For example, I remember that, with both realvnc > 4 and ultravnc on the
server, the listening client on linux was not working. I had to use
realvnc 3.3.7 both for the server (windows) and the client (linux).
However, that was some time ago, and things hopefully have changed now.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Mick

On Monday 04 February 2008, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
> On Monday 4 February 2008, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
> > AFAIK, both realvnc and tightvnc clients can run in listen mode.
>
> I must add that, depending on the VNC server installed on the windows
> box, listening mode might not work correctly.
>
> For example, I remember that, with both realvnc > 4 and ultravnc on the
> server, the listening client on linux was not working. I had to use
> realvnc 3.3.7 both for the server (windows) and the client (linux).
> However, that was some time ago, and things hopefully have changed now.

Hmm tried it with vncviewer -listen from a Knoppix 5.0 DVD and could not
connect from the remote MSWindows machine. It could well be incompatible
versions I guess.

Thanks for pointing this out.
Mick