Old 02-02-2008, 03:15 PM
Iain Buchanan

Default emerge -uD world: another obstacle FIXED

On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 07:47 -0800, maxim wexler wrote:

> > I would emerge Qt-3. You may continue your world
> > update with
> > emerge --resume afterwards.
> >

> That did it! Seven days, one hour and 28 minutes after
> I started, -uD world is complete!

7 days? Time to emerge --sync, and update world again!

Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
-- W. C. Fields

Old 02-02-2008, 04:39 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Saturday 02 February 2008, Iain Buchanan wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 07:47 -0800, maxim wexler wrote:
> > > I would emerge Qt-3. You may continue your world
> > > update with
> > > emerge --resume afterwards.
> >
> > That did it! Seven days, one hour and 28 minutes after
> > I started, -uD world is complete!
>
> 7 days? Time to emerge --sync, and update world again!

hehehehe, only a true gentooite would get that one :-)

on reflection, it would probably have been easier for maxim to just
reinstall the box. But then again he learned a heap of stuff that's
hard to learn any other way

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 02-02-2008, 08:28 PM
Dale

Alan McKinnon wrote:

>>> That did it! Seven days, one hour and 28 minutes after
>>> I started, -uD world is complete!
>>>
>> 7 days? Time to emerge --sync, and update world again!
>>

> hehehehe, only a true gentooite would get that one :-)
>
> on reflection, it would probably have been easier for maxim to just
> reinstall the box. But then again he learned a heap of stuff that's
> hard to learn any other way

Yea, if it breaks again, he's going to have a lot more ammo to work with.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 02-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Saturday 02 February 2008, Dale wrote:
> > on reflection, it would probably have been easier for maxim to just
> > reinstall the box. But then again he learned a heap of stuff that's
> > hard to learn any other way
> >
> Yea, if it breaks again, he's going to have a lot more ammo to work
> with.

Or, in the tried and trusted Unix tradition of 37 years, when he breaks
it himself next time he gets to keep both pieces AND have the glue that
puts them back together :-)

Sometimes I find myself deliberately breaking stuff just to see if I can
fix it. Try this one, it's not as easy as it looks:

emerge busybox to / on a machine in use without making symlinks
Now emerge something. You get an impressive error message.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:18 PM
Dale

Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Saturday 02 February 2008, Dale wrote:
>
>>> on reflection, it would probably have been easier for maxim to just
>>> reinstall the box. But then again he learned a heap of stuff that's
>>> hard to learn any other way
>>>

>> Yea, if it breaks again, he's going to have a lot more ammo to work
>> with.
>>

> Or, in the tried and trusted Unix tradition of 37 years, when he breaks
> it himself next time he gets to keep both pieces AND have the glue that
> puts them back together :-)

Yea but you know we will all help again. :-)

> Sometimes I find myself deliberately breaking stuff just to see if I can
> fix it.

I break enough by mistake than to do that on purpose.

> Try this one, it's not as easy as it looks:
>
> emerge busybox to / on a machine in use without making symlinks
> Now emerge something. You get an impressive error message.

I'll take your word for it. ;-) Does sound . . . interesting tho. LOL

Dale

:-) :-)