Old 11-14-2010, 09:43 AM
Benyamin Dvoskin

Default Gnome related questions

Hi Everyone ,
I'm not sure if this is the right list , so , if its not I apologize ,
but please refer me to the correct one.

anyway , I've just installed gentoo on my asus eeepc 1005ha
and i'm trying to make it look like something I actually want to work
with ( i've installed gnome )
so I've got several questions :

1 - what should i use for a gui manager for the network ? ( especially
for wireless ? )

2 - is there a way to configure the panels in a way that the upper
pane of any window ( the one with the quit and minimize , etc ) would
actually be a part of the panel of gnome ? and not waste additional
line of space ?
its configured that way on ubuntu for netbooks edition , i just dont
know how they did it there

thanks
Benny

Old 11-14-2010, 10:13 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 12:43:36 +0200, Benyamin Dvoskin wrote:

> 1 - what should i use for a gui manager for the network ? ( especially
> for wireless ? )

Wicd - no question.

--
Neil Bothwick

Top Oxymorons Number 42: Airline Food

Old 11-14-2010, 02:30 PM
walt

2 - is there a way to configure the panels in a way that the upper
pane of any window ( the one with the quit and minimize , etc ) would
actually be a part of the panel of gnome ? and not waste additional
line of space ?

Does this look like the right thing? It mentions notebooks:

Old 11-14-2010, 02:58 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 13:13 on Sunday 14 November 2010, Neil
Bothwick did opine thusly:

> On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 12:43:36 +0200, Benyamin Dvoskin wrote:
> > 1 - what should i use for a gui manager for the network ? ( especially
> > for wireless ? )
>
> Wicd - no question.

Seconded.

wicd completely, totally, awesomely JustWorks(tm) in much the same way that
NetworkManager doesn't work.

wicd now has gtk and kde frontends as well as curses and plain old cli. You
will have to remove all existing networking stuff in /etc/conf.d/net* (except
net.lo)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com