Old 11-12-2010, 02:51 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Default which NIC is which?

Maybe stupid question:

How to find out which physical NIC is for example eth0 ?

If I have 2 NICs in the box, for example one e1000 and one from 3com,
how to find out which one is eth0 ?

I looked up /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules where the MAC is
determining the devicefile ...

Is there another way? on non-udev-systems?
Just curious!

Thanks, Stefan

Old 11-12-2010, 02:57 PM
Colt Jones

I usually do one of two things. Depending on the situation.

If both NICs are from the same vendor I install mii-tool and only plug in one port. mii-tool will show link state. This when it negotiates it will show output like:

eth0: negotiated 1000baseT-FD flow-control, link ok
eth1: no link

If the NICs are from different vendors I usally just do a ifconfig and grab the MAC addresses of the cards. Then I Google for a mac lookup tool. The first 6 digits of a MAC are vendor specific.

Hope this helps!

Colt