Old 11-10-2010, 07:37 PM
Benyamin Dvoskin

Default Colors of the USE flags in emerge --pretend

Hi ,

When running emerge -p for some package , one gets for each dependency and package a list of USE flags at the end of the line.

some are colored in red , some blue

what are the differences ?

Thanks,
Benny

Old 11-10-2010, 07:54 PM
KH

Am 10.11.2010 21:37, schrieb Benyamin Dvoskin:
> Hi ,
>
> When running emerge -p for some package , one gets for each dependency
> and package a list of USE flags at the end of the line.
> some are colored in red , some blue
>
> what are the differences ?
>
> Thanks,
> Benny

Hi,

for me red is enabled and blue disabled.

_
ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
against HTML e-mail X
/

ascii ribbon campaign - stop html mail - www.asciiribbon.org

Regards

kh

Old 11-10-2010, 08:13 PM
Dale

Benyamin Dvoskin wrote:

Hi ,

When running emerge -p for some package , one gets for each dependency
and package a list of USE flags at the end of the line.

some are colored in red , some blue

what are the differences ?

Thanks,

Benny

From the emerge man page:

****** [ebuild U ] sys-devel/distcc-2.16 [2.13-r1] USE="ipv6* -gtk -qt%"

************* Here we see that the make.conf variable USE affects how
this package is built.* In* this* example,

************* ipv6 optional support is enabled and both gtk and qt
support are disabled.* The asterisk following

************* ipv6 indicates that ipv6 support was disabled the last
time this packages was installed.* The per-

************* cent* sign* following* qt* indicates that the qt option
has been added to the package since it was

************* last installed.* For information about all USE symbols,
see* the* --verbose* option* documentation

************* above.

************* *Note:* Flags* that* haven't* changed* since* the last
install are only displayed when you use the

************* --pretend and --verbose options.* Using the --quiet
option will prevent all information from being

************* displayed.

The colors tend to follow what is being changed to make it more
noticeable.* I think red is disabled or something to that effect.* I
don't pay to much attention to the colors, I look for the percent sign
for changes.* Keep in mind that you can change or disable those colors
locally too.

Dale

:-)* :-)*

Old 11-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Paul Hartman

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 2:37 PM, Benyamin Dvoskin
<benyamin.dvoskin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> When running emerge -p for some package , one gets for each dependency and
> package a list of USE flags at the end of the line.
> some are colored in red , some blue
>
> what are the differences ?

It's a little confusing but you can see the the portage colors by doing:
man color.map

Old 11-10-2010, 08:58 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 22:37 on Wednesday 10 November 2010, Benyamin
Dvoskin did opine thusly:

> Hi ,
>
> When running emerge -p for some package , one gets for each dependency and
> package a list of USE flags at the end of the line.
> some are colored in red , some blue
>
> what are the differences ?
>
> Thanks,
> Benny

You got three correct answers, so I won't repeat them here.

I would like to ask you to switch HTML mail OFF please. Folks on this mailing
list prefer good old simple plaintext only.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 11-10-2010, 09:01 PM
Benyamin Dvoskin

sure
sorry about the HTML ...

Old 11-11-2010, 02:12 PM
Bill Longman

On 11/10/2010 12:54 PM, KH wrote:
> Am 10.11.2010 21:37, schrieb Benyamin Dvoskin:
>> Hi ,
>>
>> When running emerge -p for some package , one gets for each dependency
>> and package a list of USE flags at the end of the line.
>> some are colored in red , some blue
>>
>> what are the differences ?

Yellow means that a use flag has changed. Sometimes they get added,
sometimes they're removed, so these will trigger an update if you use
"emerge -N". For example, the radeonhd flag just went away, so mesa came
up as "(-radeonhd%)". It was in parenthesis because, in essence, I have
no control over it -- it's gone for good -- and it's "-" because it was
removed. The "%" just tells you it's a flag change.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:39 PM
Mick

On Wednesday 10 November 2010 22:01:33 Benyamin Dvoskin wrote:
> sure
> sorry about the HTML ...

<aheam!> and no top posting ...

Mick