Old 11-10-2010, 06:24 PM

Default Swing !

Hi,

I am a little confused.
I am compiled SuperCollider3 from source.
When started, it complains of not finding "swing".
As far as I know, Swing is part of the java sdk.
Is it? Or what can trigger this message?
Best regards,
mcc

Old 11-11-2010, 07:40 PM
pk

On 2010-11-10 20:24, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:

> I am a little confused.
> I am compiled SuperCollider3 from source.
> When started, it complains of not finding "swing".
> As far as I know, Swing is part of the java sdk.
> Is it? Or what can trigger this message?

If I remember correctly, "swing" is the gui package of (sun?) java. Not
sure if it gets installed by default (I haven't done any java coding for
quite a while). Or it may be that your java path needs updating...

HTH

Best regards

Peter K

Old 11-11-2010, 10:58 PM

pk <peterk2@coolmail.se> [10-11-12 00:50]:
> On 2010-11-10 20:24, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
>
> > I am a little confused.
> > I am compiled SuperCollider3 from source.
> > When started, it complains of not finding "swing".
> > As far as I know, Swing is part of the java sdk.
> > Is it? Or what can trigger this message?
>
> If I remember correctly, "swing" is the gui package of (sun?) java. Not
> sure if it gets installed by default (I haven't done any java coding for
> quite a while). Or it may be that your java path needs updating...
>
> HTH
>
> Best regards
>
> Peter K

Hi Peter,

thanks for your reply!

Unfortunately I have no knowledge about java.

I would be very happy, if someone could me a hint,
how to make SuperCollider finding an using Swing.

How can I make Swing accessible for SuperCollider?

Best regards
mcc

Old 11-11-2010, 11:15 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

I am compiled SuperCollider3 from source.
When started, it complains of not finding "swing".
As far as I know, Swing is part of the java sdk.
Is it? Or what can trigger this message?
Best regards,
mcc

There's a media-sound/supercollider package in the pro-audio overlay.
You can add the overlay with layman and emerge that package.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:05 AM

Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@arcor.de> [10-11-12 01:20]:
> On 11/10/2010 09:24 PM, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I am a little confused.
> >I am compiled SuperCollider3 from source.
> >When started, it complains of not finding "swing".
> >As far as I know, Swing is part of the java sdk.
> >Is it? Or what can trigger this message?
> >Best regards,
> >mcc
>
> There's a media-sound/supercollider package in the pro-audio overlay.
> You can add the overlay with layman and emerge that package.

Does it install Swing / make Swing available on my box ?

Best regards,
mcc

Old 11-12-2010, 02:37 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

I am compiled SuperCollider3 from source.
When started, it complains of not finding "swing".
As far as I know, Swing is part of the java sdk.
Is it? Or what can trigger this message?
Best regards,
mcc

There's a media-sound/supercollider package in the pro-audio overlay.
You can add the overlay with layman and emerge that package.

Does it install Swing / make Swing available on my box ?

I've no idea. I once had to write a small Java app that uses Swing, and
I was able to use it without anything special, as long as
dev-java/sun-jdk was installed.

So in other words, either there's a bug in SC, or it needs an
older/newer JDK than the one you have installed.

Anyway, I thought the point of Java was to not having to compile
anything; doesn't SC provide ready to run binaries? Do those work?

Old 11-12-2010, 02:59 AM

Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@arcor.de> [10-11-12 04:40]:
> On 11/12/2010 05:05 AM, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> >Nikos Chantziaras<realnc@arcor.de> [10-11-12 01:20]:

> >>There's a media-sound/supercollider package in the pro-audio overlay.
> >>You can add the overlay with layman and emerge that package.
> >>

> >Does it install Swing / make Swing available on my box ?
>
> I've no idea. I once had to write a small Java app that uses Swing,
> and I was able to use it without anything special, as long as
> dev-java/sun-jdk was installed.
>
> So in other words, either there's a bug in SC, or it needs an
> older/newer JDK than the one you have installed.
>
> Anyway, I thought the point of Java was to not having to compile
> anything; doesn't SC provide ready to run binaries? Do those work?

I installed the dev-java/sun-jdk and logout/login but it does not
change anything.
Will check binaries of SC if available...

Best regards,
mcc

Old 11-12-2010, 09:40 AM
Crístian Viana

are you sure this Swing is Java's? I don't see any reference to Java on SuperCollider's website. and Swing is always installed in any JRE since version 1.2.

--
stop talking.
start doing.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:46 AM
"Arttu V."

On 11/12/10, Crístian Viana <cristiandeives@gmail.com> wrote:
> are you sure this Swing is Java's? I don't see any reference to Java on
> SuperCollider's website. and Swing is always installed in any JRE since
> version 1.2.

It has mostly cpp files so I'd wager its written in c++. But there
seems to be some (optional?) GUI component which is written in Java.
Or something. It also has some .py files (some python code?) among its
sources.

This swing-thing it needs seems to be called SwingOSC, which is not
your regular java Swing. SwingOSC claims to be a framework built on
top of Java's Swing.

--
Arttu V.