Old 11-09-2010, 02:56 PM
Mick

Default Suspect fs, or suspect disk, or something else?

Hi All,

I've had at least 3 fs corruptions on a Reiser4 fs, in as many months.

I understand that the fs type is experimental, but am wondering if it
is the fs at fault here or Dell's hard drive:

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family: Seagate Momentus 7200.4 series
Device Model: ST9500420ASG
Serial Number: 5VJ377P2
Firmware Version: 0004SDM1
User Capacity: 500,107,862,016 bytes
Device is: In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is: 8
ATA Standard is: ATA-8-ACS revision 4
Local Time is: Tue Nov 9 15:42:19 2010 GMT

I've run a short and long test with smartmontools and it passed both.

I need to mention here that the machine is a laptop which I use
regularly on train journeys (bumpy ride). The drive has a Seagate
G-Force Protection™ which is meant to park the head in case of a fall.
Could this be causing the problems I'm experiencing?

Shall I abandon this fs and opt for another?
Mick

Old 11-09-2010, 03:04 PM
Alex Schuster

Mick writes:

> I've had at least 3 fs corruptions on a Reiser4 fs, in as many months.
>
> I understand that the fs type is experimental, but am wondering if it
> is the fs at fault here or Dell's hard drive:
[...]
> I've run a short and long test with smartmontools and it passed both.

You could also try badblocks [-n].

> I need to mention here that the machine is a laptop which I use
> regularly on train journeys (bumpy ride). The drive has a Seagate
> G-Force Protection™ which is meant to park the head in case of a fall.

Which probably would not help in the train, unless you drop it there.

Wonko

Old 11-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Maciej Grela

2010/11/9 Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com>:
> Hi All,
>
> I've had at least 3 fs corruptions on a Reiser4 fs, in as many months.
>
> I understand that the fs type is experimental, but am wondering if it
> is the fs at fault here or Dell's hard drive:

Check your RAM using memtest86.

--
Maciej Grela

Old 11-09-2010, 10:30 PM
Stroller

On 9/11/2010, at 4:04pm, Alex Schuster wrote:
>> I need to mention here that the machine is a laptop which I use
>> regularly on train journeys (bumpy ride). The drive has a Seagate
>> G-Force Protection™ which is meant to park the head in case of a fall.
>
> Which probably would not help in the train, unless you drop it there.

Further to Alex's comment: the G-Force Protection™ probably parks the head in the event that the laptop goes weightless (a cheap sensor built into the drive would be quite adequate to detect that), but it probably takes half a second to do so. In the case of up and down jolts I'm not sure that it would detect those the same way - maybe it is indeed clever enough to do so, but would it have time to park the head?

aB.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:07 PM
Mick

On 9 November 2010 23:30, Stroller <stroller@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> On 9/11/2010, at 4:04pm, Alex Schuster wrote:
>>> I need to mention here that the machine is a laptop which I use
>>> regularly on train journeys (bumpy ride). *The drive has a Seagate
>>> G-Force Protection™ which is meant to park the head in case of a fall.
>>
>> Which probably would not help in the train, unless you drop it there.
>
> Further to Alex's comment: the G-Force Protection™ probably parks the head in the event that the laptop goes weightless (a cheap sensor built into the drive would be quite adequate to detect that), but it probably takes half a second to do so. In the case of up and down jolts I'm not sure that it would detect those the same way - maybe it is indeed clever enough to do so, but would it have time to park the head?

Thank you all, I have now completed exhaustive (and exhausting) tests
with memtest86+, memtester and badblocks. They did not show errors.
So if I am to believe all the results I have gathered the disk and
memory should be OK.

Have you had any problems with this Seagate Momentus 7200?

Have you had any fs corruptions with Reiser4?
Mick