Old 11-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Alex Schuster

Default Problem with upgrading portage

Benyamin Dvoskin writes:

> Hi Everyone ,
> I am actually quite new to Gentoo , so give me a break if my question
> is a newbie one.

Welcome

> anyway , while installing Gentoo , I got to the point where I want to
> compile the kernel , and for that I've done the following :
>
> emerge --sync
>
> it did the sync , but stated at the end that I must upgrade portage
> using "emerge portage"

This is a suggestion, but not really necessary. You can probably also just
emerge your kernel if you like to continue with this, and deal with the
portage update later.

> so I tried that , and it doesn't seem to work , but giving out the
> following output :
> *
> "
> --- Invalid atom in /etc/portage/package.keywords:
> dev-perl/Locale-gettext-1.05-r1

The format in this file is either <category</<package>, or something like
=<category</<package>-<version>. The '=' may also be something like '>' or
'<='. So this line is being ignored, and the package is still masked.

I'd add a '=', or change it like this:
~dev-perl/Locale-gettext-1.05

This means that you want version 1.05, including all r-<something>
versions which usually are small (probably security) updates you want to
have.

> Calculating dependencies /
> !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "dev-perl/Locale-gettext" have been
> masked.
> !!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your
> request:
> - dev-perl/Locale-gettext-1.05-r1 (masked by: EAPI 2)
>
> The current version of portage supports EAPI '1'. You must upgrade to a
> newer version of portage before EAPI masked packages can be installed.

Oky, it seems this package needs a newer portage than you have, but you
cannot install this portage because it needs the package... strange, btu
these things hapen from time to time. Is your install CD an old one?

If you have gentoolkit installed, you can use the equery command to find
out what a package depends on:

wonko@weird ~ $ equery depends Locale-gettext
* These packages depend on Locale-gettext:
games-arcade/frozen-bubble-2.2.0 (dev-perl/Locale-gettext)
sys-apps/help2man-1.38.2 (nls ? dev-perl/Locale-gettext)

So, I have it too, because frozen-bubble needs it. And help2man, if the
nls USE flag is set. Try this:

USE=-nls emerge portage

So you install portage and dependencies temporarily without nls support.
Once you have the new portage, you can emerge it again, and this time
Locale-gettext will be included as a dependency.

Good luck,

Wonko

Old 11-09-2010, 02:41 PM
Benyamin Dvoskin

Hi ,

Thanks for the suggestions.
In the proccess of trying to understand my possible mistake
I'm wondering ,
which stage3 file should I use ? the i686 or the i486 ?

I'm trying to install it on an Asus EEEPC 1005ha netbook

which stage should I use ? ( and I suppose i'll have to use the same with the CFLAGS .. ? )

Thanks,
Benny

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 4:11 PM, Bill Longman <bill.longman@gmail.com> wrote:

On 11/09/2010 06:04 AM, Benyamin Dvoskin wrote:

> Hi Everyone ,

> I am actually quite new to Gentoo , so give me a break if my question is

> a newbie one.

> anyway , while installing Gentoo , I got to the point where I want to

> compile the kernel , and for that I've done the following :

> emerge --sync

> it did the sync , but stated at the end that I must upgrade portage

> using "emerge portage"

> so I tried that , and it doesn't seem to work , but giving out the

> following output :

> /

> "

> --- Invalid atom in /etc/portage/package.keywords:

> dev-perl/Locale-gettext-1.05-r1

> Calculating dependencies /

> !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "dev-perl/Locale-gettext" have been

> masked.

> !!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your

> request:

> - dev-perl/Locale-gettext-1.05-r1 (masked by: EAPI 2)

> The current version of portage supports EAPI '1'. You must upgrade to a

> newer version of portage before EAPI masked packages can be installed.

> For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man page or

> refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

> (dependency required by "sys-apps/help2man-1.37.1" [ebuild])

> "

> /What should I do to solve this ?

> I've googled it , yet haven't found a solution ... ( found some stuff

> about it , but couldn't make it work )

> please help ...

Benny, welcome to the club.

Try "env-update" then source /etc/profile.

The env-update command straightens out all the /etc/env.d directories

for the new software that you installed.

You're at the hard part, here, so keep going.

After that, just post for us the output from "emerge --info" and a

little basic info about the machine you're running.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:00 PM
Alex Schuster

Benyamin Dvoskin writes:

> In the proccess of trying to understand my possible mistake
> I'm wondering ,
> which stage3 file should I use ? the i686 or the i486 ?
>
> I'm trying to install it on an Asus EEEPC 1005ha netbook

i686 if you want a 32 bit OS, x86_64 for 64 bit.

> which stage should I use ? ( and I suppose i'll have to use the same
> with the CFLAGS .. ? )

Have a look here:
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Safe_Cflags
http://en.gentoo-
wiki.com/wiki/Safe_Cflags/Intel#Atom_230.2C_Atom_330.2C_Atom_N-Series

Or use -march=native, if you compile locally.

Wonko

Old 11-09-2010, 03:10 PM
Benyamin Dvoskin

whats the i468 for ?

Old 11-09-2010, 03:54 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 17:00:01 +0100, Alex Schuster wrote:

> > I'm trying to install it on an Asus EEEPC 1005ha netbook
>
> i686 if you want a 32 bit OS, x86_64 for 64 bit.

The 1005HA has a 32 bit CPU.

CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=prescott -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
MAKEOPTS="-j3"

works for me, or you could use -march=native.

--
Neil Bothwick

PC DOS Error #03: Windows not found: (C)heer (P)arty (D)ance