Old 11-09-2010, 01:04 PM
Benyamin Dvoskin

Default Problem with upgrading portage

Hi Everyone ,
I am actually quite new to Gentoo , so give me a break if my question is a newbie one.
anyway , while installing Gentoo , I got to the point where I want to compile the kernel , and for that I've done the following :

emerge --sync

it did the sync , but stated at the end that I must upgrade portage using "emerge portage"

so I tried that , and it doesn't seem to work , but giving out the following output :

"--- Invalid atom in /etc/portage/package.keywords: dev-perl/Locale-gettext-1.05-r1

Calculating dependencies /!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "dev-perl/Locale-gettext" have been masked.

!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:- dev-perl/Locale-gettext-1.05-r1 (masked by: EAPI 2)

The current version of portage supports EAPI '1'. You must upgrade to a

newer version of portage before EAPI masked packages can be installed.

For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man page orrefer to the Gentoo Handbook.

(dependency required by "sys-apps/help2man-1.37.1" [ebuild])
"

What should I do to solve this ?
I've googled it , yet haven't found a solution ... ( found some stuff about it , but couldn't make it work )

please help ...

Thanks a lot
Benny

Old 11-09-2010, 01:11 PM
Bill Longman

On 11/09/2010 06:04 AM, Benyamin Dvoskin wrote:
> Hi Everyone ,
> I am actually quite new to Gentoo , so give me a break if my question is
> a newbie one.
> anyway , while installing Gentoo , I got to the point where I want to
> compile the kernel , and for that I've done the following :
>
> emerge --sync
>
> it did the sync , but stated at the end that I must upgrade portage
> using "emerge portage"
>
> so I tried that , and it doesn't seem to work , but giving out the
> following output :
> /
> "
> --- Invalid atom in /etc/portage/package.keywords:
> dev-perl/Locale-gettext-1.05-r1
> Calculating dependencies /
> !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "dev-perl/Locale-gettext" have been
> masked.
> !!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your
> request:
> - dev-perl/Locale-gettext-1.05-r1 (masked by: EAPI 2)
>
> The current version of portage supports EAPI '1'. You must upgrade to a
> newer version of portage before EAPI masked packages can be installed.
>
> For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man page or
> refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
> (dependency required by "sys-apps/help2man-1.37.1" [ebuild])
> "
>
> /What should I do to solve this ?
> I've googled it , yet haven't found a solution ... ( found some stuff
> about it , but couldn't make it work )
> please help ...

Benny, welcome to the club.

Try "env-update" then source /etc/profile.

The env-update command straightens out all the /etc/env.d directories
for the new software that you installed.

You're at the hard part, here, so keep going.

After that, just post for us the output from "emerge --info" and a
little basic info about the machine you're running.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 16:04 on Tuesday 09 November 2010, Benyamin
Dvoskin did opine thusly:

> Hi Everyone ,
> I am actually quite new to Gentoo , so give me a break if my question is a
> newbie one.
> anyway , while installing Gentoo , I got to the point where I want to
> compile the kernel , and for that I've done the following :
>
> emerge --sync
>
> it did the sync , but stated at the end that I must upgrade portage using
> "emerge portage"
>
> so I tried that , and it doesn't seem to work , but giving out the
> following output :
> *
> "
> --- Invalid atom in /etc/portage/package.keywords:
> dev-perl/Locale-gettext-1.05-r1

This syntax needs an operator before it, something like <, =, >
This is true for any line in any of those files with a version number.

In this case, you can delete the line entirely. That package and version is
marked stable and is always available so there is no need to keyword it at
all.

> Calculating dependencies /
> !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "dev-perl/Locale-gettext" have been
> masked.
> !!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your
> request:
> - dev-perl/Locale-gettext-1.05-r1 (masked by: EAPI 2)

You are getting this because of the above incorrect line in the keywords file

For more info, read the keywords and masking sections of the Gentoo Install
Doc, and the portage man pages - all of them. Actually, just read them all
several times.

emerge(1)
ebuild(5)
make.conf(5)
portage(5)

There's no easy way round this. To drive Gentoo effectively, you MUST read and
study the man pages in depth.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com