Old 11-09-2010, 01:45 AM
Allan Gottlieb

Default wicd problem -- gnome panel applet has gone

Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> writes:

> Apparently, though unproven, at 01:48 on Tuesday 09 November 2010, Allan
> Gottlieb did opine thusly:
>
>> I am a happy user of wicd, but recently a problem has arisen.
>>
>> The daemon starts and runs and at home it connects me to the wireless
>> network.
>>
>> The problem is that the applet icon no longer appears in my gnome panel.
>>
>> As I result I have no easy way to connect to another network.
>>
>> I checked main-menu-->system-->startup-applications
>> and Wicd Network Manager Tray is checked.
>>
>> I looked in /var/log and see no errors or warnings but also do not see
>> any indication that the Manager tray is started.
>

> How lucky for you I ran into this this morning and found the fix :-)
>
> Lemme guess, you have pygobject installed with USE="-introspection?" wicd-gtk
> is segfaulting, you'll see it in dmesg

Not quite. I have +introspection and there is no mention of wicd-gtk
in dmesg ... however

> Sync and update to pygobject-2.26.0-r1.

Fixes the problem.

Thank you.
allan

Old 11-09-2010, 01:49 AM
Allan Gottlieb

Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> writes:

> On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 18:48:09 -0500, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
>
>> I am a happy user of wicd, but recently a problem has arisen.
>>
>> The daemon starts and runs and at home it connects me to the wireless
>> network.
>>
>> The problem is that the applet icon no longer appears in my gnome
>> panel.
>
> Try running wicd-gtk from a terminal and you'll see the pygobject errors.
> This occurs with 2.26.0 but is fixed with the -r1 release.

The -r1 does indeed fix the problem. However I had run wicd-gtk and did
not see any pygobject errors. Just deprecation warning that are still
there with the -r1 version.

Thank you and alan very much for your prompt reply, which sent me to the
-r1 version and a return of the wicd applet.

allan