Old 11-11-2010, 12:31 AM
James

Default netbook

Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:

> This isn't such a problem with 10" netbooks where the keyboards tend to
> be around 92% of full size. On the other hand, my old Eee PC 900 didn't
> work well with my fat fingers (the fat fingers are on both hands, not
> just the other one).

Thanks for all the good view pionts on hardware.

I'll post back when I find potential hardware.
I do like the idea of SSD, but I am leaning towards
a HD for now, but in a 10" screen for small size.
Web and email are most it is for, but, I do
want the kid to be able to boot W7 and Gentoo,
as the teachers at school want windoze......

His pals all like Ubuntoo, so I figured I'd set
up Gentoo on his box (or show him the manual) and
help him with the install.....He's been using
Gentoo for a couple of years. Now it's time to
deepen the learning curve.........

cheers!

James

Old 11-11-2010, 02:33 AM
"Walter Dnes"

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 01:31:08AM +0000, James wrote

> Thanks for all the good view pionts on hardware.

Do *NOT* get a machine with a Poulsbo video chip. It "supported" one
version of the linux kernel at release time, with a proprietary blob.
No updates since. And as we all know, kernel upgrades and Xorg upgrades
kill compatability with binary blob video drivers every so often.

What was sold as a 1366x768 Windows machine with decent video speed is
now a 1024x768 VESA-driven display that sucks at Youtube video playback.
It works for general browsing+email, but I could use some extra screen
pixels. Poulsbo is a 3rd-party that Intel subcontracted for the video
chip. Intel doesn't own, and cannot release the Poulsbo api.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 11-11-2010, 07:56 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 22:33:13 -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:

> Do *NOT* get a machine with a Poulsbo video chip.

Seconded. I bought a Dell Mini 10 - lovely keyboard and display but
the GMA500 video chip sucked, as did the Broadcom wireless that needed
out of kernel drivers. It wasn't just the inconvenience, the thing kept
locking up. I believe later Dell Minis, like the 10v, have the GMA950
chip, which is a proper Intel chip, but still Broadcom wireless.

--
Neil Bothwick

Pepperami. Its a bit of an animal.
What animal & what bit?

Old 11-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Daniel da Veiga

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 06:56, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 22:33:13 -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:

> * Do *NOT* get a machine with a Poulsbo video chip.

Seconded. I bought a Dell Mini 10 - lovely keyboard and display but

the GMA500 video chip sucked, as did the Broadcom wireless that needed

out of kernel drivers. It wasn't just the inconvenience, the thing kept

locking up. I believe later Dell Minis, like the 10v, have the GMA950

chip, which is a proper Intel chip, but still Broadcom wireless.

Had problems with such hardware (some MSI netbooks) like Graphics and Wireless.
An Asus EEE solved most issues, the only one remaining is the battery that reports remaining capacity in percentage instead of mwh, everything else works great. I had an old EEE 701, switched to a 900, and so far, I don't see a reson to upgrade.

I like SSDs mostly cause I can (and have) drop my netbook from a certain height, or thrown my bag in the sofa (forgetting it was inside, and on) and never worry about my HDD failing. Also, less power, noise, heat, and some (not very big) read speed improve. Besides, its a netbook, its supposed to be a small storage, fast and simple device. I carry a backup of the whole system (Dual boot XP and Ubuntu NR) with me in a pendrive. I used to run Gentoo on it, worked great, I'm planning on installing Gentoo and ditching UNR, but that will take some time.

Anyway, my brother have an 1000H, and that works great too with Linux.
--
Daniel da Veiga

Old 06-18-2012, 10:31 AM
tolv

Hallo to all netbook-user,

to be fast with your netbook which programms do you use for
- e-mails
- calendar
- contacts?

best regards, tolv