Old 11-08-2010, 03:54 PM
Mick

Default Perl update = emerge cannot create executables

On Monday 08 November 2010 15:20:45 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> Apparently, though unproven, at 17:13 on Monday 08 November 2010, Pau Peris
>
> did opine thusly:
> > I'm starting to think the erroris not related to perl package, so i'm
> > totally lost as i think /etc/make.conf is ok.
>
> Correct. Your configure scripts cannot find header directories - nothing to
> do with perl at all.
>
> I assume the directories and their contents do still exist?
>
> If not, do you have buildpkg's of packages in @system? I'd start by
> unpacking the entire toolchain, something is missing or corrupt.

You may find this link handy:

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/portage/doc/manually-fixing-portage.xml
Mick

Old 11-08-2010, 05:08 PM
Pau Peris

Hi, i do not have buildpkg's of packages in @system so i don't know
how to proceed. It's very strange cause i was emerging sometrivial
packages without problems, last one was perl and then i was taking a
look at /etc/make.conf when tried to re-emerge php and start getting
errors (no reboot, no errors before, no deleting anything, really
strange).

At this point i'm starting to hate computers

Old 11-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Pau Peris

Please, is there any developer/geek who can help to solve the
situation? Why do i get :
Code:
/usr/bin/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc: Exec format error
I did nothing than updating the system, also /etc/make.conf (which i
took a look before getting errors) seems ok. I've tried with a simple
make.conf as follows with no luck:
Code:
# These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically
# built this stage.
# Please consult /etc/make.conf.example for a more detailed example.

CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"

# WARNING: Changing your CHOST is not something that should be done lightly.
# Please consult http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/change-chost.xml before changing.

#CHOST="ia64-unknown-linux-gnu"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"

Old 11-08-2010, 06:17 PM
Mick

On Monday 08 November 2010 18:28:58 Pau Peris wrote:
> Please, is there any developer/geek who can help to solve the
> situation? Why do i get :

Code:
/usr/bin/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc: Exec format error
> I did nothing than updating the system, also /etc/make.conf (which i
> took a look before getting errors) seems ok.

I can't say why you *suddenly* started getting problems, but it may indicate
that there is some hardware problem which caused a fs corruption. So, check
the obvious for errors like hard drive (smartmontools) and memory
(memtest86+).

If I were you I would follow the instructions in the previous link I sent you,
and use that to rebuild portage and tool chain before you finish off
rebuilding the packages that were giving you errors.
Mick

Old 11-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Pau Peris

After fixinf fs errors with fsck emerge stopped working so i fixed
with http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/portage/doc/manually-fixing-portage.xml
Then downloaded a stage3, chrooted, compiled gcc, created a binpkg and
emerged it on the broken system with emerge -K
Now i'm rebuilding the whole system.
Thanks for all

2010/11/8 Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com>:
> On Monday 08 November 2010 18:28:58 Pau Peris wrote:
>> Please, is there any developer/geek who can help to solve the
>> situation? Why do i get :

Code:
/usr/bin/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc: Exec format error
>> I did nothing than updating the system, also /etc/make.conf (which i
>> took a look before getting errors) seems ok.
>
> I can't say why you *suddenly* started getting problems, but it may indicate
> that there is some hardware problem which caused a fs corruption. *So, check
> the obvious for errors like hard drive (smartmontools) and memory
> (memtest86+).
>
> If I were you I would follow the instructions in the previous link I sent you,
> and use that to rebuild portage and tool chain before you finish off
> rebuilding the packages that were giving you errors.
> --
> Regards,
> Mick

Tue Nov 9 23:30:02 2010