Old 11-06-2010, 08:19 AM
Philip Webb

Default Fluxbox + Bbpager : weird problem

I'm a happy user of Fluxbox & recently thought it mb nice to have a pager
to jump quickly to another desktop; Bbpager seems adequate & works well.
However, I can't get it to start directly after (re-)booting,
but have to do 'startx' twice, after which it appears in the slit.
I put it in the 'startup' file, where Gkrellm resides & starts properly;
putting it in '.xinitrc' doesn't seem to get it to start at all.

Can anyone offer an explanation ?

BTW is there any way to get it (or Fbpager) to start in the toolbar ?

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 11-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Mick

On Saturday 06 November 2010 09:19:49 Philip Webb wrote:
> I'm a happy user of Fluxbox & recently thought it mb nice to have a pager
> to jump quickly to another desktop; Bbpager seems adequate & works well.
> However, I can't get it to start directly after (re-)booting,
> but have to do 'startx' twice, after which it appears in the slit.
> I put it in the 'startup' file, where Gkrellm resides & starts properly;
> putting it in '.xinitrc' doesn't seem to get it to start at all.
>
> Can anyone offer an explanation ?
>
> BTW is there any way to get it (or Fbpager) to start in the toolbar ?

I can't answer your question because I have never used a pager with FB. I
usually scroll on the screen with my mouse to change desktops. Can't recall
if Alt+arrow will also flick between desktops, but I'm sure there's a shortcut
to it.

I have found that FB is a bit temperamental with how it displays docapps. The
order can be random at times. It may be that Bbpager/Fbpager show up but are
rendered underneath the Gkrellm and therefore you can't see them. When you
restart they may be already in memory or their config file is cached and they
start faster. I know that they should be stacked, but I have seen some odd
behaviour with apps in the slit over the years.

HTH.
Mick

Old 11-07-2010, 04:46 AM
Philip Webb

101106 Mick wrote:
> On Saturday 06 November 2010 09:19:49 Philip Webb wrote:
>> I'm a happy user of Fluxbox & Bbpager works well with it.
>> However, I can't get it to start directly after (re-)booting,
>> but have to do 'startx' twice, after which it appears in the slit.
>> I put it in the 'startup' file, where Gkrellm resides & starts properly;
>> putting it in '.xinitrc' doesn't seem to get it to start at all.
> I can't answer your question because I have never used a pager with FB.
> I usually scroll on the screen with my mouse to change desktops.

Yes, I have mouse-scroll set to change desktop on background or titlebar.

> I have found that FB is a bit temperamental with how it displays docapps.
> The order can be random at times. It may be that Bbpager/Fbpager show up
> but are rendered underneath the Gkrellm and therefore you can't see them.
> When you restart they may be already in memory
> or their config file is cached and they start faster.
> I know that they should be stacked,
> but I've seen some odd behaviour with apps in the slit over the years.

Thanks: at least it's good to know I'm not alone (wry smile).

Putting Bbpager 1st in the list above Gkrellm makes no difference.
I tried increasing the 'sleep' line in 'startup' to 5 sec
& that causes a blank slit bar to appear across the screen bottom.

Any further thoughts from anyone are welcome.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb