Old 11-06-2010, 03:38 AM
Andrew Lowe

Default Mystery square under KDE

Hi all,
I've got KDE set up in a twin head configuration with the menu/task
manager thingy set for autohide on the top edge of the LHS monitor. When
I move the mouse up to the top of the screen to display the task
manager/kicker, as well as the menu displaying, I also get a large
translucent rectangle showing. The task manager shows and it is of the
depth you would expect, the height of a character plus appropriate
padding, but as well as this I get this translucent rectangle showing
which is about 2/3 screen depth and 2/3 screen width in size. This is
displayed as long as the task manager is displayed - move the mouse away
from the task manager and the task manager disappears, and so does the
mystery rectangle, move the mouse back to display the task manager and
the rectangle comes back.

There is a screen grab here www.wht.com.au/dodgyMenu.png. Has anyone any
thoughts on how to get rid of the mystery rectangle?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated,

Andrew

Old 11-06-2010, 09:16 AM
Sebastian Beßler

Am 06.11.2010 05:38, schrieb Andrew Lowe:
> Hi all,
> I've got KDE set up in a twin head configuration with the menu/task

Are both heads running at the same resolution or is the second smaller?
Whenever I tried to setup a dualhead-setup (xaphod-style not a big
screen with xrender) I had a similar problem when the second screen was
smaller then the main-screen.

Looks much like a bug to me.
Could you give more information about your twin head configuration?

Greetings

Sebastian Beßler

Old 11-06-2010, 11:48 AM
Mark Knecht

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 9:38 PM, Andrew Lowe <agl@wht.com.au> wrote:
> Hi all,
> * * * *I've got KDE set up in a twin head configuration with the menu/task
> manager thingy set for autohide on the top edge of the LHS monitor. When I
> move the mouse up to the top of the screen to display the task
> manager/kicker, as well as the menu displaying, I also get a large
> translucent rectangle showing. The task manager shows and it is of the depth
> you would expect, the height of a character plus appropriate padding, but as
> well as this I get this translucent rectangle showing which is about 2/3
> screen depth and 2/3 screen width in size. This is displayed as long as the
> task manager is displayed - move the mouse away from the task manager and
> the task manager disappears, and so does the mystery rectangle, move the
> mouse back to display the task manager and the rectangle comes back.
>
> There is a screen grab here www.wht.com.au/dodgyMenu.png. Has anyone any
> thoughts on how to get rid of the mystery rectangle?
>
> * * * *Any thoughts greatly appreciated,
>
> * * * * * * * *Andrew

I have a machine with an ATI 5770 in it. It does a few things like
this with the default KDE theme. It does fewer things with other
themes. (It's not perfect with any theme!)

Try another theme?

- Mark

Old 11-07-2010, 05:10 AM
John Campbell

On 11/05/2010 09:38 PM, Andrew Lowe wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've got KDE set up in a twin head configuration with the menu/task
> manager thingy set for autohide on the top edge of the LHS monitor. When
> I move the mouse up to the top of the screen to display the task
> manager/kicker, as well as the menu displaying, I also get a large
> translucent rectangle showing. The task manager shows and it is of the
> depth you would expect, the height of a character plus appropriate
> padding, but as well as this I get this translucent rectangle showing
> which is about 2/3 screen depth and 2/3 screen width in size. This is
> displayed as long as the task manager is displayed - move the mouse away
> from the task manager and the task manager disappears, and so does the
> mystery rectangle, move the mouse back to display the task manager and
> the rectangle comes back.

I seem to remember that rectangle. It went away when I switched to
"Folder View" and created a Desktop folder like I had in KDE3.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:14 AM
ich bins

Am 06.11.2010 13:48, schrieb Mark Knecht:
> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 9:38 PM, Andrew Lowe <agl@wht.com.au> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I've got KDE set up in a twin head configuration with the menu/task
>> manager thingy set for autohide on the top edge of the LHS monitor. When I
>> move the mouse up to the top of the screen to display the task
>> manager/kicker, as well as the menu displaying, I also get a large
>> translucent rectangle showing. The task manager shows and it is of the depth
>> you would expect, the height of a character plus appropriate padding, but as
>> well as this I get this translucent rectangle showing which is about 2/3
>> screen depth and 2/3 screen width in size. This is displayed as long as the
>> task manager is displayed - move the mouse away from the task manager and
>> the task manager disappears, and so does the mystery rectangle, move the
>> mouse back to display the task manager and the rectangle comes back.
>>
>> There is a screen grab here www.wht.com.au/dodgyMenu.png. Has anyone any
>> thoughts on how to get rid of the mystery rectangle?
>>
>> Any thoughts greatly appreciated,
>>
>> Andrew
>
> I have a machine with an ATI 5770 in it. It does a few things like
> this with the default KDE theme. It does fewer things with other
> themes. (It's not perfect with any theme!)
>
> Try another theme?
>
> - Mark

Which version ati-drivers you use? Im using ati-drivers-10.10 without
any Problems with a HD5750 and 3 Screens