Old 11-04-2010, 05:44 PM
Peter Humphrey

Default Command-line wicd?

On Thursday 04 November 2010 17:22:28 Neil Bothwick wrote:

> Wicd also has an X use flag. I've just tried emerge -p wicd on a
> headless (and Xless) box and it didn't try to pull in any X related
> packages. You'll have to try
>
> USE="-X -gtk -qt4" emerge -pvt wicd
>
> see what is pulling in X, add USE flags to the command, rinse and
> repeat.
>
> That it can be done is not in doubt, whether it is worth the effort
> is.
>
> Personally, I USE="eth0" when installing Gentoo on a laptop.

I see what you mean. I'll do that. Thanks all.

--
Rgds
Peter. Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 19:40 on Thursday 04 November 2010, Willie
Wong did opine thusly:

> On Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 07:06:18PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > Apparently, though unproven, at 18:55 on Thursday 04 November 2010, Peter
> >
> > Humphrey did opine thusly:
> > > I'm installing Gentoo on a Thinkpad laptop
> >
> > wicd is designed for laptops and mobile computers.
>
> Alan: time for new reading glasses?

Funny you say that. I just "fixed" mine after the dog chewed them and then I
stood on them. "fixed" because they're not right and still wonky.

Damn, now I feel like a chop.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 11-11-2010, 01:35 AM
Jake Moe

On 05/11/10 04:44, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Thursday 04 November 2010 17:22:28 Neil Bothwick wrote:
>
>> Wicd also has an X use flag. I've just tried emerge -p wicd on a
>> headless (and Xless) box and it didn't try to pull in any X related
>> packages. You'll have to try
>>
>> USE="-X -gtk -qt4" emerge -pvt wicd
>>
>> see what is pulling in X, add USE flags to the command, rinse and
>> repeat.
>>
>> That it can be done is not in doubt, whether it is worth the effort
>> is.
>>
>> Personally, I USE="eth0" when installing Gentoo on a laptop.
> I see what you mean. I'll do that. Thanks all.
jmoe@aus10224 ~ $ equery hasuse eth0
* Searching for USE flag eth0 ...
jmoe@aus10224 ~ $

Am I missing something here? I never heard of that use flag before.

Jake Moe

Old 11-11-2010, 01:46 AM
Peter Humphrey

On Thursday 11 November 2010 02:35:21 Jake Moe wrote:
> On 05/11/10 04:44, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > On Thursday 04 November 2010 17:22:28 Neil Bothwick wrote:
[...]
> >> Personally, I USE="eth0" when installing Gentoo on a laptop.
> >
> > I see what you mean. I'll do that. Thanks all.
>
> jmoe@aus10224 ~ $ equery hasuse eth0
> * Searching for USE flag eth0 ...
> jmoe@aus10224 ~ $
>
> Am I missing something here? I never heard of that use flag before.

It isn't a USE flag; it's a way of connecting to the network. You know:
set the Ethernet connection up in /etc/conf.d/net as described in the
installation handbook. (I think Neil's caps-lock key stayed on a bit too
long.)