Old 11-04-2010, 03:55 PM
Peter Humphrey

Default Command-line wicd?

Hello list,

I'm installing Gentoo on a Thinkpad laptop and I want to install wicd in
place of the manually configured network, rather than installing the
standard network setup and then ripping it out again to put wicd in its
place.

The problem is that wicd insists* on a gtk interface, which would force
me to install X etc. before the first boot, so that wicd could enable me
to fetch all the sources.

Is there any way to get a CLI version of wicd installed?

* It really insists: even USE=-gtk emerge -pv wicd still throws the same
error about missing config parameters in some X package.

--
Rgds
Peter. Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:06 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 18:55 on Thursday 04 November 2010, Peter
Humphrey did opine thusly:

> Hello list,
>
> I'm installing Gentoo on a Thinkpad laptop and I want to install wicd in
> place of the manually configured network, rather than installing the
> standard network setup and then ripping it out again to put wicd in its
> place.
>
> The problem is that wicd insists* on a gtk interface, which would force
> me to install X etc. before the first boot, so that wicd could enable me
> to fetch all the sources.
>
> Is there any way to get a CLI version of wicd installed?
>
> * It really insists: even USE=-gtk emerge -pv wicd still throws the same
> error about missing config parameters in some X package.

wicd is designed for laptops and mobile computers.

Once you see that it's features are quite overkill for desktops (and complete
overkill for servers), then this is apparent.

Instead, why don't you just let baselayout get on with adding the 20 extra
characters that go into /etc/conf.d/net to get you a working interface, build
stuff, then add wicd later? wicd is not in any sane @system or default @world,
it's simply a very useful tool for laptops. But by no means required and
easily left till last.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 11-04-2010, 04:22 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 16:55:25 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:

> The problem is that wicd insists* on a gtk interface, which would force
> me to install X etc. before the first boot, so that wicd could enable
> me to fetch all the sources.
>
> Is there any way to get a CLI version of wicd installed?
>
> * It really insists: even USE=-gtk emerge -pv wicd still throws the
> same error about missing config parameters in some X package.

Wicd also has an X use flag. I've just tried emerge -p wicd on a headless
(and Xless) box and it didn't try to pull in any X related packages.
You'll have to try

USE="-X -gtk -qt4" emerge -pvt wicd

see what is pulling in X, add USE flags to the command, rinse and repeat.

That it can be done is not in doubt, whether it is worth the effort is.

Personally, I USE="eth0" when installing Gentoo on a laptop.

--
Neil Bothwick

WinErr 01F: Reserved for future mistakes of our developers.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:40 PM
Willie Wong

On Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 07:06:18PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> Apparently, though unproven, at 18:55 on Thursday 04 November 2010, Peter
> Humphrey did opine thusly:
>
> > I'm installing Gentoo on a Thinkpad laptop

> wicd is designed for laptops and mobile computers.

Alan: time for new reading glasses?

Peter: I am pretty sure on my laptop I disabled the wicd gtk/X
interface (and only use the curses interface). Check the list of USE
for wicd again? Maybe you need to also issue -X?

Best,

Willie W. Wong wwong@math.princeton.edu
et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton