Old 11-04-2010, 03:34 PM
dhk

Default kernel panic on manually built kernel

I've always used the genkernel, but now am trying to make a manual one.
I think the kernel is alright since all the default setting seemed
reasonable and the build was easy enough. However, when I boot to it I
get a kernel panic and it complains about the root device /dev/hda3. So
I think the problem has to do with my parameters or syntax in grub.conf.
Below are three grub menu options. The first two have the problem and
the third is the genkernel that works fine. Is there something wrong
with the way the first two are? Thanks.

# This is a Manually built kernel with default settings. kernel panic
title Gentoo Linux x86 2.6.34-r12
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.34-gentoo-r12 root=/dev/hda3

# This is a Manually built kernel with default settings. kernel panic
title Gentoo Linux x86 2.6.34-r12
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.34-gentoo-r12 root=/dev/hda3 vga=791
splash=verbose video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap udev
# From Documentation: video=uvesafb:mtrr:3,ywrap,1024x768-32@85

# This a genkernel and works
title Gentoo Linux x86 2.6.34-r6
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.34-gentoo-r6 init=/linuxrc
ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hda3 vga=791 splash=verbose
video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap udev
initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.34-gentoo-r6

--dhk

Old 11-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Dale

dhk wrote:

[...]

When I get a kernel panic, it's usually because I'm pointing to the
wrong partition or I forgot to include the file system that the root
partition uses. Since the one you made and the genkernel match up, I
would check to make sure you included the correct file system and it is
BUILT IN not a module.

Hope that helps or someone else comes up with another idea.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 11-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 18:34 on Thursday 04 November 2010, dhk did
opine thusly:

> I've always used the genkernel, but now am trying to make a manual one.
> I think the kernel is alright since all the default setting seemed
> reasonable and the build was easy enough. However, when I boot to it I
> get a kernel panic and it complains about the root device /dev/hda3. So
> I think the problem has to do with my parameters or syntax in grub.conf.
> Below are three grub menu options. The first two have the problem and
> the third is the genkernel that works fine. Is there something wrong
> with the way the first two are? Thanks.

Why did you think it a good idea to NOT post the *actual* error?

Your grub entries are correct.

I'll bet money that you built one or more of your chipset drivers, libata, or
root filesystem driver as a module.

These must not be modules, they must be built-in (otherwise you need an
initrd)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 11-04-2010, 04:00 PM
dhk

On 11/04/2010 12:52 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> Apparently, though unproven, at 18:34 on Thursday 04 November 2010, dhk did
> opine thusly:
>
>> I've always used the genkernel, but now am trying to make a manual one.
>> I think the kernel is alright since all the default setting seemed
>> reasonable and the build was easy enough. However, when I boot to it I
>> get a kernel panic and it complains about the root device /dev/hda3. So
>> I think the problem has to do with my parameters or syntax in grub.conf.
>> Below are three grub menu options. The first two have the problem and
>> the third is the genkernel that works fine. Is there something wrong
>> with the way the first two are? Thanks.
>
> Why did you think it a good idea to NOT post the *actual* error?
>
> Your grub entries are correct.
>
> I'll bet money that you built one or more of your chipset drivers, libata, or
> root filesystem driver as a module.
>
> These must not be modules, they must be built-in (otherwise you need an
> initrd)
>

>> # This is a Manually built kernel with default settings. kernel panic
>> title Gentoo Linux x86 2.6.34-r12
>> root (hd0,0)
>> kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.34-gentoo-r12 root=/dev/hda3
>>
>> # This is a Manually built kernel with default settings. kernel panic
>> title Gentoo Linux x86 2.6.34-r12
>> root (hd0,0)
>> kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.34-gentoo-r12 root=/dev/hda3 vga=791
>> splash=verbose video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap udev
>> # From Documentation: video=uvesafb:mtrr:3,ywrap,1024x768-32@85
>>
>> # This a genkernel and works
>> title Gentoo Linux x86 2.6.34-r6
>> root (hd0,0)
>> kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.34-gentoo-r6 init=/linuxrc
>> ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hda3 vga=791 splash=verbose
>> video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap udev
>> initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.34-gentoo-r6
>>
>> --dhk

Thanks all, I check those suggestions and get back to you.

The reason I didn't include the exact error is that I can't capture it.
I'd have to write it on paper and then reboot to the working kernel.
By then it doesn't seem to be in any of the logs. I'll see what I can
do about that.

Thanks again.

--dhk

Old 11-04-2010, 04:08 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 13:00:21 -0400, dhk wrote:

> The reason I didn't include the exact error is that I can't capture it.
> I'd have to write it on paper and then reboot to the working kernel.

Which is a lot less work than trying to fix the problem by guesswork.

--
Neil Bothwick

Velilind's Laws of Experimentation:
1. If reproducibility may be a problem, conduct the test only once.
2. If a straight line fit is required, obtain only two data points.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:36 PM
dhk

On 11/04/2010 01:08 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 13:00:21 -0400, dhk wrote:
>
>> The reason I didn't include the exact error is that I can't capture it.
>> I'd have to write it on paper and then reboot to the working kernel.
>
> Which is a lot less work than trying to fix the problem by guesswork.

I have /boot as ext2 and the rest ext3 with lvm2.

$ df -k
/dev/hda3 8262068 712028 7130344 10% /
udev 10240 336 9904 4% /dev
/dev/mapper/vg-usr 15481840 12867912 1827496 88% /usr
/dev/mapper/vg-home 51606140 42781428 6203272 88% /home
/dev/mapper/vg-opt 5160576 2635064 2263368 54% /opt
/dev/mapper/vg-var 15481840 2387500 12307908 17% /var
/dev/mapper/vg-tmp 2064208 68708 1890644 4% /tmp
shm 512572 0 512572 0% /dev/shm

The ext2 wasn't compiled in, so I compiled it in and rebooted. I got
the same error.

"kernel panic - not syncing : VFS: unable to mount root FS on
unknown-block (2,0)"

This is what I had.
< > Second extended fs support │ │
│ │ <*> Ext3 journalling file system support
│ │
│ │ [ ] Default to 'data=ordered' in ext3
│ │
│ │[*] Ext3 extended attributes
│ │
│ │[*] Ext3 POSIX Access Control Lists
│ │
│ │[*] Ext3 Security Labels

This is what I added.
<*> Second extended fs support │ │
│ │ [ ] Ext2 extended attributes (NEW)
│ │
│ │ [ ] Ext2 execute in place support (NEW)
│ │

Old 11-04-2010, 05:12 PM

Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

> dhk wrote:
> > I've always used the genkernel, but now am trying to make a manual one.
> > I think the kernel is alright since all the default setting seemed
> > reasonable and the build was easy enough. However, when I boot to it I
> > get a kernel panic and it complains about the root device /dev/hda3. So
> > I think the problem has to do with my parameters or syntax in grub.conf.
> > Below are three grub menu options. The first two have the problem and
> > the third is the genkernel that works fine. Is there something wrong
> > with the way the first two are? Thanks.
> >
> > # This is a Manually built kernel with default settings. kernel panic
> > title Gentoo Linux x86 2.6.34-r12
> > root (hd0,0)
> > kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.34-gentoo-r12 root=/dev/hda3
> >
> > # This is a Manually built kernel with default settings. kernel panic
> > title Gentoo Linux x86 2.6.34-r12
> > root (hd0,0)
> > kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.34-gentoo-r12 root=/dev/hda3 vga=791
> > splash=verbose video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap udev
> > # From Documentation: video=uvesafb:mtrr:3,ywrap,1024x768-32@85
> >
> > # This a genkernel and works
> > title Gentoo Linux x86 2.6.34-r6
> > root (hd0,0)
> > kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.34-gentoo-r6 init=/linuxrc
> > ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hda3 vga=791 splash=verbose
> > video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap udev
> > initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.34-gentoo-r6
> >
> > --dhk
> >

> When I get a kernel panic, it's usually because I'm pointing to the
> wrong partition or I forgot to include the file system that the root
> partition uses. Since the one you made and the genkernel match up, I
> would check to make sure you included the correct file system and it
> is BUILT IN not a module.
>
> Hope that helps or someone else comes up with another idea.
He does not have the ramdisk or initrd in his manual ones. That would
do it right there. Be sure to generate the ramdisk as well.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

Old 11-04-2010, 05:19 PM
dhk

On 11/04/2010 02:12 PM, covici@ccs.covici.com wrote:
> Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> dhk wrote:
>>> I've always used the genkernel, but now am trying to make a manual one.
>>> I think the kernel is alright since all the default setting seemed
>>> reasonable and the build was easy enough. However, when I boot to it I
>>> get a kernel panic and it complains about the root device /dev/hda3. So
>>> I think the problem has to do with my parameters or syntax in grub.conf.
>>> Below are three grub menu options. The first two have the problem and
>>> the third is the genkernel that works fine. Is there something wrong
>>> with the way the first two are? Thanks.
>>>
>>> # This is a Manually built kernel with default settings. kernel panic
>>> title Gentoo Linux x86 2.6.34-r12
>>> root (hd0,0)
>>> kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.34-gentoo-r12 root=/dev/hda3
>>>
>>> # This is a Manually built kernel with default settings. kernel panic
>>> title Gentoo Linux x86 2.6.34-r12
>>> root (hd0,0)
>>> kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.34-gentoo-r12 root=/dev/hda3 vga=791
>>> splash=verbose video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap udev
>>> # From Documentation: video=uvesafb:mtrr:3,ywrap,1024x768-32@85
>>>
>>> # This a genkernel and works
>>> title Gentoo Linux x86 2.6.34-r6
>>> root (hd0,0)
>>> kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.34-gentoo-r6 init=/linuxrc
>>> ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hda3 vga=791 splash=verbose
>>> video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap udev
>>> initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.34-gentoo-r6
>>>
>>> --dhk
>>>

>> When I get a kernel panic, it's usually because I'm pointing to the
>> wrong partition or I forgot to include the file system that the root
>> partition uses. Since the one you made and the genkernel match up, I
>> would check to make sure you included the correct file system and it
>> is BUILT IN not a module.
>>
>> Hope that helps or someone else comes up with another idea.
> He does not have the ramdisk or initrd in his manual ones. That would
> do it right there. Be sure to generate the ramdisk as well.

The documentation doesn't say to use ramdisk or initrd for a manual
kernel, only the genkernel.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Yohan Pereira

On Thursday 04 November 2010 11:49:07 pm dhk wrote:

stupid queston but did you select the appropriate sata drivers ?

i ran into a similar problem just about an hr back becuase i forgot to include
those .

--
- Yohan Pereira.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:39 PM

dhk <dhkuhl@optonline.net> wrote:

> On 11/04/2010 02:12 PM, covici@ccs.covici.com wrote:
> > Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> When I get a kernel panic, it's usually because I'm pointing to the
> >> wrong partition or I forgot to include the file system that the root
> >> partition uses. Since the one you made and the genkernel match up, I
> >> would check to make sure you included the correct file system and it
> >> is BUILT IN not a module.
> >>
> >> Hope that helps or someone else comes up with another idea.
> > He does not have the ramdisk or initrd in his manual ones. That would
> > do it right there. Be sure to generate the ramdisk as well.
> >

> The documentation doesn't say to use ramdisk or initrd for a manual
> kernel, only the genkernel.
But if the configs are the same, you need to do the same things, so
generate your ramdisk and see what happens. I do this all the time,
just use genkernel to generate the ramdisk and do all other things
manually. I just make oldconfig when I upgrade and do make Bzimage and
make modules and make modules_install and copy the kernel to the right
place and update my lilo.conf.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici