Old 11-08-2010, 09:34 PM
Dale

Default kernel panic on manually built kernel

Stroller wrote:

On 8/11/2010, at 9:34pm, Dale wrote:

Wouldn't happen to have LABELS in your grub.conf file would you?

Nope.

I believe this requires an initramfs - see the February 2009 thread, `Using "root=LABEL=xxxx" in grub.conf` for more details of that. I seem to rather have an aversion to initramfses.

Stroller.

Yea, I don't like those either. I think grub2 supports it but I'm not
sure. I think that is what I read but it may be just on a todo list or
something. Maybe one day.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 11-08-2010, 09:39 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 15:34:08 -0600, Dale wrote:

> Well, it does work since it booted as recent as last night when I
> updated my kernel. I found that somewhere and just copied that to
> mine. It may be the long way but it does work. I may edit it and try
> it your way but since mine works and I don't move things to much, not
> sure it really matters.

Labels are stored in the filesystem, so LABEL= should always work.

/dev/disk/by-label/ is created by udev rules, so it won't work if
anything goes wrong with your udev rules or if you have to boot with
init=/bin/sh.

--
Neil Bothwick

Tagline stealing is the sincerest form of flattery.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:47 PM
Dale

Neil Bothwick wrote:

Well, it does work since it booted as recent as last night when I
updated my kernel. I found that somewhere and just copied that to
mine. It may be the long way but it does work. I may edit it and try
it your way but since mine works and I don't move things to much, not
sure it really matters.

Labels are stored in the filesystem, so LABEL= should always work.

/dev/disk/by-label/ is created by udev rules, so it won't work if
anything goes wrong with your udev rules or if you have to boot with
init=/bin/sh.

Guess I better change that soon then. While udev has been working
pretty good here lately, we never know what may happen tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 11-08-2010, 11:05 PM
Stroller

On 8/11/2010, at 10:39pm, Neil Bothwick wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 15:34:08 -0600, Dale wrote:
>
>> Well, it does work since it booted as recent as last night when I
>> updated my kernel. I found that somewhere and just copied that to
>> mine. It may be the long way but it does work. I may edit it and try
>> it your way but since mine works and I don't move things to much, not
>> sure it really matters.
>
> Labels are stored in the filesystem, so LABEL= should always work.
>
> /dev/disk/by-label/ is created by udev rules, so it won't work if
> anything goes wrong with your udev rules or if you have to boot with
> init=/bin/sh.

Thanks! I approximately figured this when I made my original posting, but don't really feel confident enough about /dev and udev rules to express it properly. That's why I just said "I'm not sure the configuration is even supposed to work".

Stroller.