Old 11-05-2010, 02:52 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Default kernel panic on manually built kernel

On Thursday 04 November 2010, dhk wrote:
> I've always used the genkernel, but now am trying to make a manual one.
> I think the kernel is alright since all the default setting seemed
> reasonable and the build was easy enough. However, when I boot to it I
> get a kernel panic and it complains about the root device /dev/hda3. So
> I think the problem has to do with my parameters or syntax in grub.conf.
> Below are three grub menu options. The first two have the problem and
> the third is the genkernel that works fine. Is there something wrong
> with the way the first two are? Thanks.
>
> # This is a Manually built kernel with default settings. kernel panic
> title Gentoo Linux x86 2.6.34-r12
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.34-gentoo-r12 root=/dev/hda3
>
> # This is a Manually built kernel with default settings. kernel panic
> title Gentoo Linux x86 2.6.34-r12
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.34-gentoo-r12 root=/dev/hda3 vga=791
> splash=verbose video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap udev
> # From Documentation: video=uvesafb:mtrr:3,ywrap,1024x768-32@85
>
> # This a genkernel and works
> title Gentoo Linux x86 2.6.34-r6
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.34-gentoo-r6 init=/linuxrc
> ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hda3 vga=791 splash=verbose
> video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap udev
> initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.34-gentoo-r6
>
> --dhk

grub must point to sda3 not hda3

Old 11-05-2010, 06:31 PM
walt

On 11/05/2010 04:36 AM, dhk wrote:

I think this may be the missing one(s). I can't find it in the
list, but the AMD64/PATA is selected to be compiled in.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
00:08.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK8S Parallel ATA Controller
(v2.5) (rev a2)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. K8N-E
Kernel driver in use: AMD_IDE
Kernel modules: pata_acpi, ata_generic, pata_amd
00:0a.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation nForce3 Serial ATA Controller
(rev a2)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. K8N-E
Kernel driver in use: sata_nv
Kernel modules: sata_nv, pata_acpi, ata_generic
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The sata_nv driver is driver 'in use' and it's compiled as a module.
Try changing that to compiled-in.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:28 AM
Coert Waagmeester

Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

[...]

Yes, I had a similar problem.
The device names are different on my machine between genkernel and my
own kernel.

Make sure to change that in your /etc/fstab as well.

Dont know if this is always the case though.

Regards,
Coert Waagmeester

Old 11-08-2010, 09:48 AM
dhk

On 11/08/2010 05:28 AM, Coert Waagmeester wrote:
> Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
>> On Thursday 04 November 2010, dhk wrote:
>>> I've always used the genkernel, but now am trying to make a manual one.
>>> I think the kernel is alright since all the default setting seemed
>>> reasonable and the build was easy enough. However, when I boot to it I
>>> get a kernel panic and it complains about the root device /dev/hda3. So
>>> I think the problem has to do with my parameters or syntax in grub.conf.
>>> Below are three grub menu options. The first two have the problem and
>>> the third is the genkernel that works fine. Is there something wrong
>>> with the way the first two are? Thanks.
>>>
>>> # This is a Manually built kernel with default settings. kernel panic
>>> title Gentoo Linux x86 2.6.34-r12
>>> root (hd0,0)
>>> kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.34-gentoo-r12 root=/dev/hda3
>>>
>>> # This is a Manually built kernel with default settings. kernel panic
>>> title Gentoo Linux x86 2.6.34-r12
>>> root (hd0,0)
>>> kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.34-gentoo-r12 root=/dev/hda3 vga=791
>>> splash=verbose video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap udev
>>> # From Documentation: video=uvesafb:mtrr:3,ywrap,1024x768-32@85
>>>
>>> # This a genkernel and works
>>> title Gentoo Linux x86 2.6.34-r6
>>> root (hd0,0)
>>> kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.34-gentoo-r6 init=/linuxrc
>>> ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hda3 vga=791 splash=verbose
>>> video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap udev
>>> initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.34-gentoo-r6
>>>
>>> --dhk
>>
>> grub must point to sda3 not hda3
>>

> Yes, I had a similar problem.
> The device names are different on my machine between genkernel and my
> own kernel.
> Make sure to change that in your /etc/fstab as well.
>
> Dont know if this is always the case though.
>
> Regards,
> Coert Waagmeester

I'm booting to an IDE hard disk. Are you say the device name should
change from /dev/hda3 to /dev/sda3? If I change it in /etc/fstab and it
doesn't work, I'll have problems, I'll probably have to boot to the livecd.

Thanks,

--dhk

Old 11-08-2010, 10:05 AM
Coert Waagmeester

dhk wrote:

[...]

It has indeed happened to me with an IDE PATA disk.
Try first only to change only your grub config.
Then if you see that the kernel boots fine, you can change /etc/fstab.

If you want you can even use LABELs in fstab.

give your ext{2,3} partitions labels with e2label

and change the device node eg /dev/hda1 in fstab to LABEL=yournewlabel

Regards,
Coert Waagmeester

Old 11-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Monday 08 November 2010, dhk wrote:
> On 11/08/2010 05:28 AM, Coert Waagmeester wrote:
> > Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> >> grub must point to sda3 not hda3
> >
> > Yes, I had a similar problem.
> > The device names are different on my machine between genkernel and my
> > own kernel.
> > Make sure to change that in your /etc/fstab as well.
> >
> > Dont know if this is always the case though.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Coert Waagmeester
>
> I'm booting to an IDE hard disk. Are you say the device name should
> change from /dev/hda3 to /dev/sda3? If I change it in /etc/fstab and it
> doesn't work, I'll have problems, I'll probably have to boot to the livecd.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --dhk

if you are using libata, you have sdX device names.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:56 PM
Dale

Coert Waagmeester wrote:

It has indeed happened to me with an IDE PATA disk.
Try first only to change only your grub config.
Then if you see that the kernel boots fine, you can change /etc/fstab.

If you want you can even use LABELs in fstab.

give your ext{2,3} partitions labels with e2label

and change the device node eg /dev/hda1 in fstab to LABEL=yournewlabel

Regards,
Coert Waagmeester

I agree with this 100%. I switched mine to the new PATA drivers and I
couldn't figure out what the drive order was. I used LABELS and it has
worked ever since. The funny thing is, I have a card to hook a SATA
drive up to and it puts it first instead of the drives that are hooked
directly to the mobo. I wasn't expecting that and that was why I could
not get mine to boot with the PATA drives. Bad thing is, the CD/DVD's I
have still use the old IDE drivers so I couldn't even test it by booting
that.

I have not been able to get grub to see the LABELS yet but I'm going to
post fstab so that you have a example that is known to work and not from
a guide:

/dev/disk/by-label/boot /boot ext2 noatime 1 2
/dev/disk/by-label/root / reiserfs defaults 0 1
/dev/disk/by-label/swap none swap sw 0 0
/dev/disk/by-label/portage /usr/portage ext3 defaults 0 1
/dev/disk/by-label/home /home reiserfs defaults 1 1
/dev/disk/by-label/data /data reiserfs defaults 0 1

Now someone post their grub.conf for us both. I just can't get mine to
work with grub at all. I can't even use tab to find the drives in the
boot menu.

Hope that helps.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 11-08-2010, 08:15 PM
Stroller

On 8/11/2010, at 5:56pm, Dale wrote:
> I have not been able to get grub to see the LABELS yet but I'm going to post fstab so that you have a example that is known to work and not from a guide:
>
> /dev/disk/by-label/boot /boot ext2 noatime 1 2
> /dev/disk/by-label/root / reiserfs defaults 0 1
> /dev/disk/by-label/swap none swap sw 0 0
> /dev/disk/by-label/portage /usr/portage ext3 defaults 0 1
> /dev/disk/by-label/home /home reiserfs defaults 1 1
> /dev/disk/by-label/data /data reiserfs defaults 0 1

I'm not paying enough attention to know whether your above fastab works or not, but /dev/disk/by-label/* seems a relatively ugly way of doing things. I'm pretty sure it's not intended that you use that format, and I have no idea whether it's supposed to work that way.

All the guides say to use the word "LABEL". That's not a variable or anything - it's the literal word you're supposed to use.

I have no idea why a guide should be considered unreliable, but the below is not fabricated - it is from an actual working system:

$ grep -ve ^# /etc/fstab

LABEL=boot /boot ext2 noauto,noatime 1 2
LABEL=/ / ext4 noatime 0 1
LABEL=swap none swap sw 0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,ro,users 0 0

LABEL=space /mnt/space ext4 noatime 0 3

shm /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0
$

To me this seems cleaner than your format, and it's certainly fewer characters!

Stroller.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:34 PM
Dale

Stroller wrote:

[...]

Well, it does work since it booted as recent as last night when I
updated my kernel. I found that somewhere and just copied that to
mine. It may be the long way but it does work. I may edit it and try
it your way but since mine works and I don't move things to much, not
sure it really matters.

I sometimes like to get things from a working system, such as what you
posted that you use, because sometimes what is in a guide somewhere may
not apply to what I am using or even my OS. May be some subtle
difference that causes me grief. Since you use Gentoo, yours is a good
example to go by. Should have had that a few months ago when I was
changing mine over. ;-) It would have saved me some typing as you
pointed out. lol

Wouldn't happen to have LABELS in your grub.conf file would you?

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 11-08-2010, 08:43 PM
Stroller

On 8/11/2010, at 9:34pm, Dale wrote:
> Wouldn't happen to have LABELS in your grub.conf file would you?

Nope.

I believe this requires an initramfs - see the February 2009 thread, `Using "root=LABEL=xxxx" in grub.conf` for more details of that. I seem to rather have an aversion to initramfses.

Stroller.