Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Gentoo User (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/)
-   -   Setting up two monitors (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/447730-setting-up-two-monitors.html)

Mick 11-03-2010 07:51 PM

Setting up two monitors
 
Hi All,

I am trying to set up two monitors, but have next to no experience on
the subject. Last time I set up two monitors on a machine was years
ago and I recall using xinerama and xorg.conf. Now I do not use
xorg.conf and I'm still running x11-base/xorg-server-1.7.7-r1

Upon booting up this machine showed both monitors with the same
resolution and cloning each other.

$ xrandr -q
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 1920 x 1920
VGA-0 connected 1280x1024+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
axis) 359mm x 287mm
1280x1024 75.0*+ 60.0
1152x864 75.0
1024x768 85.0 75.0 70.1 60.0
832x624 74.6
800x600 85.1 72.2 75.0 60.3 56.2
640x480 85.0 75.0 72.8 66.7 59.9
720x400 70.1
DVI-0 connected 1280x1024+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
axis) 509mm x 286mm
1920x1080 60.0 +
1280x1024 75.0 60.0*
1152x864 75.0
1024x768 75.0 60.0
800x600 75.0 60.3
640x480 75.0 59.9
720x400 70.1

To change the new larger monitor connected on the DVI port, I ran:

$ xrandr --output DVI-0 --auto

and that gave me:

$ xrandr -q
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 1920 x 1920
VGA-0 connected 1280x1024+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
axis) 359mm x 287mm
1280x1024 75.0*+ 60.0
1152x864 75.0
1024x768 85.0 75.0 70.1 60.0
832x624 74.6
800x600 85.1 72.2 75.0 60.3 56.2
640x480 85.0 75.0 72.8 66.7 59.9
720x400 70.1
DVI-0 connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
axis) 509mm x 286mm
1920x1080 60.0*+
1280x1024 75.0 60.0
1152x864 75.0
1024x768 75.0 60.0
800x600 75.0 60.3
640x480 75.0 59.9
720x400 70.1

Is there some invocation to allow me to set this up like <aheam!>
MSWindows does? I mean, in WinXP all desktop icons and toolbar stays
at the bottom of the DVI monitor. The VGA monitor on the left just
shows the desktop background, but has no toolbar or desktop icons.
The user can however drag application windows from the DVI monitor to
the VGA monitor, seamlessly between the two. On this machine I can't
- they are just clones of each other ...
--
Regards,
Mick

Alan McKinnon 11-03-2010 07:55 PM

Setting up two monitors
 
Apparently, though unproven, at 22:51 on Wednesday 03 November 2010, Mick did
opine thusly:

> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to set up two monitors, but have next to no experience on
> the subject. Last time I set up two monitors on a machine was years
> ago and I recall using xinerama and xorg.conf. Now I do not use
> xorg.conf and I'm still running x11-base/xorg-server-1.7.7-r1
>
> Upon booting up this machine showed both monitors with the same
> resolution and cloning each other.

What video driver?




>
> $ xrandr -q
> Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 1920 x 1920
> VGA-0 connected 1280x1024+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
> axis) 359mm x 287mm
> 1280x1024 75.0*+ 60.0
> 1152x864 75.0
> 1024x768 85.0 75.0 70.1 60.0
> 832x624 74.6
> 800x600 85.1 72.2 75.0 60.3 56.2
> 640x480 85.0 75.0 72.8 66.7 59.9
> 720x400 70.1
> DVI-0 connected 1280x1024+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
> axis) 509mm x 286mm
> 1920x1080 60.0 +
> 1280x1024 75.0 60.0*
> 1152x864 75.0
> 1024x768 75.0 60.0
> 800x600 75.0 60.3
> 640x480 75.0 59.9
> 720x400 70.1
>
> To change the new larger monitor connected on the DVI port, I ran:
>
> $ xrandr --output DVI-0 --auto
>
> and that gave me:
>
> $ xrandr -q
> Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 1920 x 1920
> VGA-0 connected 1280x1024+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
> axis) 359mm x 287mm
> 1280x1024 75.0*+ 60.0
> 1152x864 75.0
> 1024x768 85.0 75.0 70.1 60.0
> 832x624 74.6
> 800x600 85.1 72.2 75.0 60.3 56.2
> 640x480 85.0 75.0 72.8 66.7 59.9
> 720x400 70.1
> DVI-0 connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
> axis) 509mm x 286mm
> 1920x1080 60.0*+
> 1280x1024 75.0 60.0
> 1152x864 75.0
> 1024x768 75.0 60.0
> 800x600 75.0 60.3
> 640x480 75.0 59.9
> 720x400 70.1
>
> Is there some invocation to allow me to set this up like <aheam!>
> MSWindows does? I mean, in WinXP all desktop icons and toolbar stays
> at the bottom of the DVI monitor. The VGA monitor on the left just
> shows the desktop background, but has no toolbar or desktop icons.
> The user can however drag application windows from the DVI monitor to
> the VGA monitor, seamlessly between the two. On this machine I can't
> - they are just clones of each other ...

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Florian Philipp 11-04-2010 06:37 AM

Setting up two monitors
 
Am 03.11.2010 21:51, schrieb Mick:

> Is there some invocation to allow me to set this up like <aheam!>
> MSWindows does? I mean, in WinXP all desktop icons and toolbar stays
> at the bottom of the DVI monitor. The VGA monitor on the left just
> shows the desktop background, but has no toolbar or desktop icons.
> The user can however drag application windows from the DVI monitor to
> the VGA monitor, seamlessly between the two. On this machine I can't
> - they are just clones of each other ...

Don't you have one of the major desktop environments like Gnome or KDE
running? There are graphical XRandr-Wrapper for most of them:
x11-misc/arandr, x11-apps/grandr, rox-extra/resolution,
lxde-base/lxrandr and kde-base/kephal, just to name a few. That would
spare us from testing and providing command line options for you.

Anyway, try something like:
xrandr --output DVI-0 --right-of VGA-0

Hope this helps,
Florian Philipp

Mick 11-04-2010 06:38 AM

Setting up two monitors
 
Oops! This didn't make it to the list. Answer to Alan half way down
and more info on card at the bottom.

On 3 November 2010 22:20, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 November 2010 20:55:01 you wrote:
>> Apparently, though unproven, at 22:51 on Wednesday 03 November 2010, Mick
>> did
>>
>> opine thusly:
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > I am trying to set up two monitors, but have next to no experience on
>> > the subject. *Last time I set up two monitors on a machine was years
>> > ago and I recall using xinerama and xorg.conf. *Now I do not use
>> > xorg.conf and I'm still running x11-base/xorg-server-1.7.7-r1
>> >
>> > Upon booting up this machine showed both monitors with the same
>> > resolution and cloning each other.
>>
>> What video driver?
>
> x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati
>
>
>> > $ xrandr -q
>> > Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 1920 x 1920
>> > VGA-0 connected 1280x1024+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
>> > axis) 359mm x 287mm
>> >
>> > * *1280x1024 * * *75.0*+ * 60.0
>> > * *1152x864 * * * 75.0
>> > * *1024x768 * * * 85.0 * * 75.0 * * 70.1 * * 60.0
>> > * *832x624 * * * *74.6
>> > * *800x600 * * * *85.1 * * 72.2 * * 75.0 * * 60.3 * * 56.2
>> > * *640x480 * * * *85.0 * * 75.0 * * 72.8 * * 66.7 * * 59.9
>> > * *720x400 * * * *70.1
>> >
>> > DVI-0 connected 1280x1024+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
>> > axis) 509mm x 286mm
>> >
>> > * *1920x1080 * * *60.0 +
>> > * *1280x1024 * * *75.0 * * 60.0*
>> > * *1152x864 * * * 75.0
>> > * *1024x768 * * * 75.0 * * 60.0
>> > * *800x600 * * * *75.0 * * 60.3
>> > * *640x480 * * * *75.0 * * 59.9
>> > * *720x400 * * * *70.1
>> >
>> > To change the new larger monitor connected on the DVI port, I ran:
>> >
>> > $ xrandr --output DVI-0 --auto
>> >
>> > and that gave me:
>> >
>> > $ xrandr -q
>> > Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 1920 x 1920
>> > VGA-0 connected 1280x1024+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
>> > axis) 359mm x 287mm
>> >
>> > * *1280x1024 * * *75.0*+ * 60.0
>> > * *1152x864 * * * 75.0
>> > * *1024x768 * * * 85.0 * * 75.0 * * 70.1 * * 60.0
>> > * *832x624 * * * *74.6
>> > * *800x600 * * * *85.1 * * 72.2 * * 75.0 * * 60.3 * * 56.2
>> > * *640x480 * * * *85.0 * * 75.0 * * 72.8 * * 66.7 * * 59.9
>> > * *720x400 * * * *70.1
>> >
>> > DVI-0 connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
>> > axis) 509mm x 286mm
>> >
>> > * *1920x1080 * * *60.0*+
>> > * *1280x1024 * * *75.0 * * 60.0
>> > * *1152x864 * * * 75.0
>> > * *1024x768 * * * 75.0 * * 60.0
>> > * *800x600 * * * *75.0 * * 60.3
>> > * *640x480 * * * *75.0 * * 59.9
>> > * *720x400 * * * *70.1
>> >
>> > Is there some invocation to allow me to set this up like <aheam!>
>> > MSWindows does? *I mean, in WinXP all desktop icons and toolbar stays
>> > at the bottom of the DVI monitor. *The VGA monitor on the left just
>> > shows the desktop background, but has no toolbar or desktop icons.
>> > The user can however drag application windows from the DVI monitor to
>> > the VGA monitor, seamlessly between the two. *On this machine I can't
>> > - they are just clones of each other ...

From lshw:

*-display:0 UNCLAIMED
description: VGA compatible controller
product: RV380 0x3e50 [Radeon X600]
vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
version: 00
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=0
resources: memory:d0000000-dfffffff
ioport:b000(size=256) memory:cfee0000-cfeeffff
memory:cfec0000-cfedffff
*-display:1 UNCLAIMED
description: Display controller
product: RV380 [Radeon X600] (Secondary)
vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
physical id: 0.1
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.1
version: 00
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm pciexpress bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=0
resources: memory:cfef0000-cfefffff

From lspci -v

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV380 0x3e50
[Radeon X600] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 0328
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
I/O ports at b000 [size=256]
Memory at cfee0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
Expansion ROM at cfec0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
Capabilities: [58] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting

01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV380 [Radeon X600] (Secondary)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 0329
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
Memory at cfef0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
Capabilities: [58] Express Endpoint, MSI 00

Please ask if you need more.

PS. Another thing I noticed with the WinXP setup is that the
application windows seem to be screen aware. On the left monitor they
will maximise only to cover fully the left hand screen not the right
hand. The same happens when maximising an application window on the
right. I don't remember seeing this in Linux - applications I think
maximised across both screens.
--
Regards,
Mick

Florian Philipp 11-04-2010 06:43 AM

Setting up two monitors
 
Am 04.11.2010 08:38, schrieb Mick:
>
> PS. Another thing I noticed with the WinXP setup is that the
> application windows seem to be screen aware. On the left monitor they
> will maximise only to cover fully the left hand screen not the right
> hand. The same happens when maximising an application window on the
> right. I don't remember seeing this in Linux - applications I think
> maximised across both screens.

Again, I don't know what desktop environment you are using but that
works flawlessly on KDE.

Alan McKinnon 11-04-2010 07:22 AM

Setting up two monitors
 
Apparently, though unproven, at 09:38 on Thursday 04 November 2010, Mick did
opine thusly:

> PS. Another thing I noticed with the WinXP setup is that the
> application windows seem to be screen aware. On the left monitor they
> will maximise only to cover fully the left hand screen not the right
> hand. The same happens when maximising an application window on the
> right. I don't remember seeing this in Linux - applications I think
> maximised across both screens.


nvidia-drivers does this by default with Twinview.

Those drivers rip out vast sections of the OpenGL libs and who knows what
else, replacing it with an NVidia version. Lots of their code is in the core,
intended to be used cross-platform, which probably explains the default
behaviour being the same as on windows.



--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

YoYo Siska 11-04-2010 08:24 AM

Setting up two monitors
 
On Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 08:43:25AM +0100, Florian Philipp wrote:
> Am 04.11.2010 08:38, schrieb Mick:
> >
> > PS. Another thing I noticed with the WinXP setup is that the
> > application windows seem to be screen aware. On the left monitor they
> > will maximise only to cover fully the left hand screen not the right
> > hand. The same happens when maximising an application window on the
> > right. I don't remember seeing this in Linux - applications I think
> > maximised across both screens.
>
> Again, I don't know what desktop environment you are using but that
> works flawlessly on KDE.
>

Just to make it a bit more clear:
xrandr is used to setup the resolution and position of the monitors
(you can make them clone each other, overlap, be alongside / above /
below the other...)

How the windows / panels behave depends on your windows manager/desktop
environment (or on the panels themselves). X server provides them with
enough information about the layout of the monitors, and they have to
use it. So it depends on which DE or window manager you use...

In kde3, there was a configuration option for kwin, whether windows
should be maximized across all screens or on single screen...
I can't find it in kde4 settings right now, but I have only single head
card here and I guess it would be under "Multiple Monitors" option in
settings, which just says "You don't appear to have this configuration"
for me ;)

Plasma in kde4 manages things per monitor, so panels should be only
on one monitor (and you can't get them across multiple monitors, you
have to have a separate panel on each)...

Recent versions of fluxbox allow you to have the toolbar on a certain
monitor (head) or across all heads... Don't know how it is when maximizing
windows (some time ago I used to patch it to make it an option, didn't
play with it lately...)

I can't say anything for gnome or other DEs/WMs...

yoyo

Mick 11-04-2010 02:36 PM

Setting up two monitors
 
On 4 November 2010 09:24, YoYo Siska <yoyo@gl.ksp.sk> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 08:43:25AM +0100, Florian Philipp wrote:
>> Am 04.11.2010 08:38, schrieb Mick:
>> >
>> > PS. *Another thing I noticed with the WinXP setup is that the
>> > application windows seem to be screen aware. *On the left monitor they
>> > will maximise only to cover fully the left hand screen not the right
>> > hand. The same happens when maximising an application window on the
>> > right. *I don't remember seeing this in Linux - applications I think
>> > maximised across both screens.
>>
>> Again, I don't know what desktop environment you are using but that
>> works flawlessly on KDE.
>>
>
> Just to make it a bit more clear:
> xrandr is used to setup the resolution and position of the monitors
> (you can make them clone each other, overlap, be alongside / above /
> below the other...)
>
> How the windows / panels behave depends on your windows manager/desktop
> environment (or on the panels themselves). X server provides them with
> enough information about the layout of the monitors, and they have to
> use it. So it depends on which DE or window manager you use...
>
> In kde3, *there was a configuration option for kwin, whether windows
> should be maximized across all screens *or on single screen...
> I can't find it in kde4 settings right now, but I have only single head
> card here and I guess it would be under "Multiple Monitors" option in
> settings, which just says "You don't appear to have this configuration"
> for me ;)
>
> Plasma in kde4 manages things per monitor, so panels should be only
> on one monitor (and you can't get them across multiple monitors, you
> have to have a separate panel on each)...
>
> Recent versions of fluxbox allow you to have the toolbar on a certain
> monitor (head) or across all heads... Don't know how it is when maximizing
> windows (some time ago I used to patch it to make it an option, didn't
> play with it lately...)
>
> I can't say anything for gnome or other DEs/WMs...

Thank you all for your responses!

The box in question is running KDE.

The first thing I tried was to go into Systemsettings and play with
Display settings in there. Nothing I tried would take. Only xranrd
on the CLI brought some results. Even so, rebooting means that I have
to rerun the stanza to make the new large monitor on the DVI port
auto-adjust. It seems that the card sees the VGA as the primary
monitor and the DVI as the secondary monitor, when I really want them
the other way around.

Any way, I'll have another go at the Display settings in the KDE
Systemsettings and see if I am missing something in there.
--
Regards,
Mick

Mick 11-04-2010 07:17 PM

Setting up two monitors
 
On Thursday 04 November 2010 15:36:37 you wrote:
> On 4 November 2010 09:24, YoYo Siska <yoyo@gl.ksp.sk> wrote:

> > Just to make it a bit more clear:
> > xrandr is used to setup the resolution and position of the monitors
> > (you can make them clone each other, overlap, be alongside / above /
> > below the other...)
> >
> > How the windows / panels behave depends on your windows manager/desktop
> > environment (or on the panels themselves). X server provides them with
> > enough information about the layout of the monitors, and they have to
> > use it. So it depends on which DE or window manager you use...
> >
> > In kde3, there was a configuration option for kwin, whether windows
> > should be maximized across all screens or on single screen...
> > I can't find it in kde4 settings right now, but I have only single head
> > card here and I guess it would be under "Multiple Monitors" option in
> > settings, which just says "You don't appear to have this configuration"
> > for me ;)
> >
> > Plasma in kde4 manages things per monitor, so panels should be only
> > on one monitor (and you can't get them across multiple monitors, you
> > have to have a separate panel on each)...
> >
> > Recent versions of fluxbox allow you to have the toolbar on a certain
> > monitor (head) or across all heads... Don't know how it is when
> > maximizing windows (some time ago I used to patch it to make it an
> > option, didn't play with it lately...)
> >
> > I can't say anything for gnome or other DEs/WMs...
>
> Thank you all for your responses!
>
> The box in question is running KDE.
>
> The first thing I tried was to go into Systemsettings and play with
> Display settings in there. Nothing I tried would take. Only xranrd
> on the CLI brought some results. Even so, rebooting means that I have
> to rerun the stanza to make the new large monitor on the DVI port
> auto-adjust. It seems that the card sees the VGA as the primary
> monitor and the DVI as the secondary monitor, when I really want them
> the other way around.
>
> Any way, I'll have another go at the Display settings in the KDE
> Systemsettings and see if I am missing something in there.

OK, I had some more time to look at this. As I said above, systemsettings
changes won't take. Having set the DVI at 1920x1080(auto) and to be on the
right of VGA-0, I click on Apply and the DVI on the right of VGA reverts to
'Clone of' and the size stays the same as the VGA (1280x1024).

Then I ran xrandr again as Florian suggested and this is what it shows:

$ xrandr --output DVI-0 --auto <--this gives 1920x1080
$ xrandr --output DVI-0 --right-of-VGA-0 --verbose
xrandr: screen cannot be larger than 1920x1920 (desired size 3200x1080)

As a result it does not place the DVI on the right of the VGA driven monitor.
Can you please explain this error to me - why does it complain?
--
Regards,
Mick

Florian Philipp 11-04-2010 08:36 PM

Setting up two monitors
 
Am 04.11.2010 21:17, schrieb Mick:
[...]
>
> Then I ran xrandr again as Florian suggested and this is what it shows:
>
> $ xrandr --output DVI-0 --auto <--this gives 1920x1080
> $ xrandr --output DVI-0 --right-of-VGA-0 --verbose
> xrandr: screen cannot be larger than 1920x1920 (desired size 3200x1080)
>
> As a result it does not place the DVI on the right of the VGA driven monitor.
> Can you please explain this error to me - why does it complain?

Hmm, do you still have an xorg.conf file or changed settings in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d? If you have, can you post it please?

I think it is related to the
'SubSection "Device"
Virtual xdim ydim'
setting but I'm not sure. In any case, if I were you, I'd try running
without any xorg.conf and see whether auto-configuration can handle it.
Oh, and if you are still on x11-base/xorg-server-1.7.*, please try
x11-base/xorg-server-1.8.2 with USE="udev -hal"

Hope this helps,
Florian Philipp


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:07 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.