Old 11-03-2010, 03:25 PM
James

Default ldap client authentication

Folks,

I'm attempting to set up LDAP authentication against my OpenDS server on a Gentoo box. I've been struggling with this for several days now with no progress.

Here's the rundown of how things are configured (fairly straight forward):

- OpenDS server has the following entry (gathered directly from ldapsearch output), below. Note that clearly the LDAP server is properly configured if it's responding to an ldapsearch on the client with no problems.

ldap ~ # ldapsearch -H ldap://auth.whatever.com "objectclass=posixAccount"
dn: cn=tb,ou=it,dc=whatever,dc=com
uid: tb
initials: tb
objectClass: person

objectClass: inetOrgPerson
objectClass: organizationalPerson
objectClass: posixAccount
objectClass: top
givenName: Thomas
cn: tb
sn: Bellview
telephoneNumber: 333.555.3333
homeDirectory: /home/tb

uidNumber: 10001
mail: tb@whatever.com
gidNumber: 10001

- /etc/ldap.conf
base ou=it,dc=whatever,dc=com
uri ldaps://auth.whatever.com

ldap_version 3
tls_reqcert allow
pam_password exop
pam_filter objectclass=posixAccount
pam_login_attribute uid
pam_member_attribute memberUid
nss_base_passwd ou=it,dc=whatever,dc=com
nss_base_shadow ou=it,dc=whatever,dc=com

nss_initgroups_ignoreusers avahi,avahi-autoipd,backup,bin,couchdb,daemon,games,gdm,gnats, hplip,irc,kernoops,libuuid,list,lp,mail,man,messag ebus,news,proxy,pulse,root,rtkit,saned,speech-dispatcher,sshd,sync,sys,syslog,usbmux,uucp,www-data

timelimit 5
bind_timelimit 5

- Likewise, /etc/openldap/ldap.conf
BASE** ou=it,dc=whatever,dc=com
URI**** ldaps://auth.whatever.com
TLS_REQCERT allow
#SIZELIMIT***** 12

#TIMELIMIT***** 15
#DEREF********* never

Simple problem: authentication fails. On the CLIENT I see the following in the log files:

==> auth.log <==
Nov* 3 06:26:03 s_dgram@client.whatever.com sshd[2650]: error: PAM: Authentication failure for tb from blah.whatever.com

On the SERVER I see the following:

[03/Nov/2010:06:27:05 -0400] CONNECT conn=314 from=10.1.1.166:44879 to=10.1.1.115:389 protocol=LDAP

[03/Nov/2010:06:27:05 -0400] BIND REQ conn=314 op=0 msgID=1 type=SIMPLE dn=""
[03/Nov/2010:06:27:05 -0400] BIND RES conn=314 op=0 msgID=1 result=0 authDN="" etime=0
[03/Nov/2010:06:27:05 -0400] SEARCH REQ conn=314 op=1 msgID=2 base="ou=it,dc=whatever,dc=com" scope=wholeSubtree filter="(&(objectClass=posixAccount)(uid=tb))" attrs="uid,userPassword,uidNumber,gidNumber,cn,hom eDirectory,loginShell,gecos,description,objectClas s"

[03/Nov/2010:06:27:05 -0400] SEARCH RES conn=314 op=1 msgID=2 result=0 nentries=1 etime=1
[03/Nov/2010:06:27:05 -0400] SEARCH REQ conn=314 op=2 msgID=3 base="ou=it,dc=whatever,dc=com" scope=wholeSubtree filter="(&(objectClass=posixAccount)(uid=tb))" attrs="uid,userPassword,uidNumber,gidNumber,cn,hom eDirectory,loginShell,gecos,description,objectClas s"

[03/Nov/2010:06:27:05 -0400] SEARCH RES conn=314 op=2 msgID=3 result=0 nentries=1 etime=1
[03/Nov/2010:06:27:05 -0400] CONNECT conn=315 from=10.1.1.166:44879 to=10.1.1.115:389 protocol=LDAP

[03/Nov/2010:06:27:05 -0400] BIND REQ conn=315 op=0 msgID=1 type=SIMPLE dn=""
[03/Nov/2010:06:27:05 -0400] BIND RES conn=315 op=0 msgID=1 result=0 authDN="" etime=0
[03/Nov/2010:06:27:05 -0400] SEARCH REQ conn=315 op=1 msgID=2 base="ou=it,dc=whatever,dc=com" scope=wholeSubtree filter="(&(objectclass=posixAccount)(uid=tb))" attrs="ALL"

[03/Nov/2010:06:27:05 -0400] SEARCH RES conn=315 op=1 msgID=2 result=0 nentries=1 etime=0
[03/Nov/2010:06:27:05 -0400] BIND REQ conn=315 op=2 msgID=3 type=SIMPLE dn=""
[03/Nov/2010:06:27:05 -0400] BIND RES conn=315 op=2 msgID=3 result=0 authDN="" etime=0

[03/Nov/2010:06:27:07 -0400] DISCONNECT conn=315 reason="Client Disconnect"
[03/Nov/2010:06:27:07 -0400] DISCONNECT conn=314 reason="Client Disconnect"
[03/Nov/2010:06:27:07 -0400] DISCONNECT conn=309 reason="Client Disconnect"

Looks fine, right? Well not really. If I run an ldapsearch *exactly* as it appears in the SERVER's log, it returns the user.

ldap ~ # ldapsearch -H ldap://auth.whatever.com -b "ou=it,dc=whatever,dc=com" "(&(objectclass=posixAccount)(uid=tb))"

# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <ou=it,dc=whatever,dc=com> with scope subtree
# filter: (&(objectclass=posixAccount)(uid=tb))
# requesting: ALL
#

# tb, it, whatever.com

dn: cn=tb,ou=it,dc=whatever,dc=com
uid: tb
initials: tb
objectClass: person
objectClass: inetOrgPerson
objectClass: organizationalPerson
objectClass: posixAccount
objectClass: top
givenName: Thomas

cn: tb
sn: Bellview
telephoneNumber: 333.555.3333
homeDirectory: /home/tb
uidNumber: 10001
mail: tb@whatever.com
gidNumber: 10001

# search result
search: 2

result: 0 Success

# numResponses: 2
# numEntries: 1

This has me pulling my hairs out. Clearly the manual ldapsearch works. The only thing I can think of is the "scope=wholeSubtree" or the "attrs=ALL" breaking the query; clearly the applied filters work without any issues.

Thoughts / ideas would be greatly appreciated.

-james

Old 11-03-2010, 06:13 PM
Stroller

I'm attempting to set up LDAP authentication against my OpenDS server on a Gentoo box. I've been struggling with this for several days now with no progress.

Here's the rundown of how things are configured (fairly straight forward):
...==> auth.log <==
Nov* 3 06:26:03 s_dgram@client.whatever.com sshd[2650]: error: PAM: Authentication failure for tb from blah.whatever.com

You've shown us all about your LDAP configuration, but nothing about your PAM configuration, or whether sshd or IMAP are configured to use PAM.
Stroller.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:26 PM
James

Straight from the Gentoo + LDAP page.

# pam ldap stuff
auth*********** sufficient***** pam_ldap.so use_first_pass
account******** sufficient***** pam_ldap.so
password******* sufficient***** pam_ldap.so use_authtok use_first_pass

session******** optional******* pam_ldap.so

-james

Old 11-04-2010, 02:51 PM
James

Bump -- any ideas?

In a tough spot right now trying to wrap this LDAP project up and I'm stuck.

-james

Old 11-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Adam Carter