Old 11-03-2010, 01:15 PM
James

Default eMerge gone commercial?

Hello,

Curiously, I just got this information, from a vendor:

eMerge is a configurable, integrated security management and access control
system that can be managed from anywhere there is a network connection and
access to a standard Internet browser. It is based on the industry-standard
Linux operating system and requires no server or client software to be installed
because it is a browser based and managed platform. This ensures there are no
software compatibility issues with existing network equipment and computers.

Sounds familiar to our emerge and (gentoo) Linux?
Is "emerge" protected by the Gentoo Foundation?
Are they using Gentoo linux?

http://www.ieib.com/product_detail.php?productId=1267

????
James

Old 11-03-2010, 01:40 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2010-11-03, James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> Curiously, I just got this information, from a vendor:
>
> eMerge is a configurable, integrated security management and access
> control system that can be managed from anywhere [...]

> Sounds familiar to our emerge and (gentoo) Linux?

No, not at all. Other than the name of the program and the fact that
they both run on linux, I don't see any similarities between eMerge
and Gentoo's emerge.

> Is "emerge" protected by the Gentoo Foundation?

No. There are dozens of tradmarks for the word "emerge". Several of
them are software-related. None of them are Gentoo's "emerge".

> Are they using Gentoo linux?

No. They're running RedHat.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! PEGGY FLEMMING is
at stealing BASKET BALLS to

Old 11-03-2010, 01:43 PM
Paul Hartman

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 9:15 AM, James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>

> Curiously, I just got this information, from a vendor:
>
> eMerge is a configurable, integrated security management and access control
> system that can be managed from anywhere there is a network connection and
> access to a standard Internet browser. *It is based on the industry-standard
> Linux operating system and requires no server or client software to be installed
> because it is a browser based and managed platform. This ensures there are no
> software compatibility issues with existing network equipment and computers.
>

> Sounds familiar to our emerge and (gentoo) Linux?

Seems to be completely unrelated to me.

> Is "emerge" protected by the Gentoo Foundation?

Not as far as I can tell. I just did a USPTO lookup and the name
Gentoo & the Gentoo logo are the only trademarked items belonging to
Gentoo Foundation.

> Are they using Gentoo linux?

The eMerge seem to be based on S2 NetBox which is a web server running
some kind of embedded linux, no idea what distro they may have based
it on.

There are a couple of published vulnerabilities with these devices
(eMerge and NetBox). For example this one sounds interesting:
"S2 NetBox allows unauthenticated HTTP access to node logs, backups,
and employee photographs"

Old 11-03-2010, 04:09 PM
James

Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo <at> gmail.com> writes:

> There are a couple of published vulnerabilities with these devices
> (eMerge and NetBox). For example this one sounds interesting:
> "S2 NetBox allows unauthenticated HTTP access to node logs, backups,
> and employee photographs"

Well, your google is more powerful than mine, I did
not the hacks.........

curious world of names....

cheers,
James