Old 11-03-2010, 10:53 AM
Markus Oehme

Default Setup for two graphical logins on one machine

Hi everybody,

I've got a somewhat exotic wish: I want to have two graphical logins on my
box. Currently I'm using /etc/init.d/xdm to start slim which in turn starts
an XFce session after login. All of this happens on vt7 (reachable via
ctrl-alt-f7). Now I wish for a second graphical login on vt8.

I can get a second graphical desktop by running 'startx -- :1' in a root
shell, but this looses all advantages of management through init-scripts.

What I currently hope for is a way to tell /etc/init.d/xdm to start two
instances of slim, one on vt7 and one on vt8. Bonus points if the second
instance of slim starts a fluxbox session instead of an XFce session upon
login. Do you think this is possible?

Thanks in advance

Markus

--
Aoccdrnig to a threoy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod
are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer are in the

Old 11-03-2010, 09:48 PM
Albert Hopkins

On Wed, 2010-11-03 at 12:53 +0100, Markus Oehme wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I've got a somewhat exotic wish: I want to have two graphical logins on my
> box. Currently I'm using /etc/init.d/xdm to start slim which in turn starts
> an XFce session after login. All of this happens on vt7 (reachable via
> ctrl-alt-f7). Now I wish for a second graphical login on vt8.

I don't know about slim, but some dm's (xdm, gdm) allow you to manage
multiple servers if/when set up that way.

> I can get a second graphical desktop by running 'startx -- :1' in a root
> shell, but this looses all advantages of management through init-scripts.

> What I currently hope for is a way to tell /etc/init.d/xdm to start two
> instances of slim, one on vt7 and one on vt8. Bonus points if the second
> instance of slim starts a fluxbox session instead of an XFce session upon
> login. Do you think this is possible?

I have no experience with slim, but this should be possible if slim
isn't bone-headed (well you'd still have to select your session from the
menu).

Old 11-04-2010, 11:50 AM
Robin Atwood

On Thursday 04 November 2010, Albert Hopkins wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-11-03 at 12:53 +0100, Markus Oehme wrote:
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > I've got a somewhat exotic wish: I want to have two graphical logins on
> > my box. Currently I'm using /etc/init.d/xdm to start slim which in turn
> > starts an XFce session after login. All of this happens on vt7
> > (reachable via ctrl-alt-f7). Now I wish for a second graphical login on
> > vt8.
> > What I currently hope for is a way to tell /etc/init.d/xdm to start two
> > instances of slim, one on vt7 and one on vt8. Bonus points if the second
> > instance of slim starts a fluxbox session instead of an XFce session upon
> > login. Do you think this is possible?

AFAIK, you must poke around in /etc/X11/ where the xserver config files are.
XAccess seems to ring a bell! I have kdm here which does it all in one big
kdmrc file, so I can't tell you exactly.

HTH
-Robin
Robin Atwood.

from "Mandalay" by Rudyard Kipling

Old 11-09-2010, 08:24 AM
Markus Oehme

Hi everybody,

I managed to get it running as I wished. The only thing, that I couldn't
solve in a nice way was using fluxbox instead of Xfce upon login in xdm, but
a little hack did the trick.

I left my setup as described and added an init-script /etc/init.d/xdm2 which
is mostly copy and paste from /etc/init.d/xdm trimmed down to what I
actually need. It simply starts xdm, which does the Right Things(tm) after
configuration. I edited /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers to account for the allready
running X. Then I hacked /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config to point to fluxbox in a
hard-coded way.

That's it. Works fine

Markus