Old 11-03-2010, 06:48 AM
Coert Waagmeester

Default local USE flags and ufed

Hello all,

Just installed ufed. handy.

I see that ufed places local USE flags with global flags in /etc/make.conf

Is this normal/does it matter?
I always set local flags in /etc/portage/package.use as I read in the
Handbook

Regards,
Coert

Old 11-03-2010, 08:03 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 09:48:08 +0200, Coert Waagmeester wrote:

> I see that ufed places local USE flags with global flags
> in /etc/make.conf
>
> Is this normal/does it matter?

It is potentially problematic. Local USE flags are defined per-package.
You may have multiple packages using the same flag, but the meaning is
not necessarily the same, so there is a slight risk in using such flags
locally. Once a flag is used by several packages with the same meaning,
it is usually made global.

--
Neil Bothwick

Q. How many radical feminists does it take to change a light bulb?
A. Two - one to change the bulb and one to write a book about the passive
role of the socket.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Stroller

On 3/11/2010, at 7:48am, Coert Waagmeester wrote:
> Just installed ufed. handy.

Am I correct in recalling ufed as the curses USE flag manager?

> I see that ufed places local USE flags with global flags in /etc/make.conf
>
> Is this normal/does it matter?
> I always set local flags in /etc/portage/package.use as I read in the Handbook

I believe flagedit sets local flags in /etc/portage/package.use.

Uses euses to see a flag's description.

Stroller.