Old 11-03-2010, 01:15 AM
CJoeB

Default HP C4795 All-in-One Att'n Neil Bothwick

On 11/02/10 07:27, Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
> 2010/11/2 CJoeB <colleen.beamer@gmail.com>:
>> Hi,
>>

>> The current problem is related to the scanner. My previous post was
>> about not being able to use xsane as a normal user, it would only work
>> as root. Since posting that, I've done upgrades to my system and for
>> months, the scanner won't work at all - not as a normal user nor as root.
>>

> The sane project has a pretty good search engine [1] where you can
> find the needed driver.
> Hint: Try hpaio PS: Your internet search engine of choice is your friend.
>
> http://www.sane-project.org/cgi-bin/driver.pl?manu=Hewlett-Packard&model=Photosmart&bus=any&v=&p=

Thanks for the link. I got the scanner working and BTW, I did do a
google search, but the search parameters I used only returned stuff from
my previous posts.

The reason for the "Att'n Neil Bothwick" in the subject line is because
Neil responded months ago when I had the scanner working the first time,
but could only run xsane as root, not as a normal user. Neil responded
suggesting that I write a udev rule and gave me an example:

SYSFS{product}=="CanoScan", SYSFS{manufacturer}=="Canon",
GROUP:="scanner", MODE:="0660"

I used this to write a udev rule after reading some documentation. Of
course I changed the product and manufacturer in the above line to what
is applicable to my HP C4795. After rebooting, I was able to run xsane
as a normal user. However, when I run it from the command line, a bunch
of messages appear and I'm not sure if there is a problem or if I didn't
write the rule correctly.

This is the message that repeats itself in the terminal window:

(xsane:10566): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with
non-zero page size is deprecated

Do I need to be concerned about this?

Regards,

Colleen

--

Registered Linux User #411143 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org

Old 11-03-2010, 06:16 AM
Daniel Pielmeier

2010/11/3 CJoeB <colleen.beamer@gmail.com>:

> Thanks for the link. *I got the scanner working and BTW, I did do a
> google search, but the search parameters I used only returned stuff from
> my previous posts.

Good to hear!

> The reason for the "Att'n Neil Bothwick" in the subject line is because
> Neil responded months ago when I had the scanner working the first time,
> but could only run xsane as root, not as a normal user. *Neil responded
> suggesting that I write a udev rule and gave me an example:
>
> SYSFS{product}=="CanoScan", SYSFS{manufacturer}=="Canon",
> GROUP:="scanner", MODE:="0660"
>
> I used this to write a udev rule after reading some documentation. *Of
> course I changed the product and manufacturer in the above line to what
> is applicable to my HP C4795. *After rebooting, I was able to run xsane
> as a normal user.

sane-backends should provide udev rules maybe there is something
wrong/missing for your scanner.

> However, when I run it from the command line, a bunch
> of messages appear and I'm not sure if there is a problem or if I didn't
> write the rule correctly.
>
> This is the message that repeats itself in the terminal window:
>
> (xsane:10566): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with
> non-zero page size is deprecated
>
> Do I need to be concerned about this?

Don't think so. It's just some gtk deprecation warnings. The xsane
developers should be concerned about this messages though.

--
Daniel Pielmeier