Old 11-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Kfir Lavi

Default Search for a file that is not installed in the system?

Hi,
Is there a way to search for a file that I can install, but is not currently installed in the system?
For example:
$ equery belongs zzdir
[ Searching for file(s) zzdir in *... ]
dev-libs/zziplib-0.13.59-r1 (/usr/bin/zzdir)

$ eix -I zziplib
[i] dev-libs/zziplib
**** Available versions:* 0.13.58-r1 0.13.59-r1 {doc sdl static-libs test}
**** Installed versions:* 0.13.59-r1(09:22:31 10/30/10)(sdl -doc -static-libs -test)
**** Homepage:*********** http://zziplib.sourceforge.net/

Here zziplib is installed.
I would like equery return the same output when zziplib is not installed.

Is it possible?

Regards,
Kfir

Old 11-02-2010, 04:37 PM
Dale

Kfir Lavi wrote:

Hi,
Is there a way to search for a file that I can install, but is not
currently installed in the system?

For example:
$ equery belongs zzdir
[ Searching for file(s) zzdir in *... ]
dev-libs/zziplib-0.13.59-r1 (/usr/bin/zzdir)

$ eix -I zziplib
[i] dev-libs/zziplib
Available versions: 0.13.58-r1 0.13.59-r1 {doc sdl static-libs test}
Installed versions: 0.13.59-r1(09:22:31 10/30/10)(sdl -doc
-static-libs -test)

Homepage: http://zziplib.sourceforge.net/
data from files archived in a single zip file

Here zziplib is installed.
I would like equery return the same output when zziplib is not installed.

Is it possible?

Regards,
Kfir

Well, this is not something you install but you can use this site to
look for files that some unknown package provides.

http://www.portagefilelist.de/index.php/Special:PFLQuery2

Just type in the name and see what package it shows providing that file.

If you can, install app-portage/pfl and you can help build the list of
files as well. I run mine every few weeks or when I install something new.

Hope that helps.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 11-02-2010, 04:39 PM
Alex Schuster

Kfir Lavi writes:

> Is there a way to search for a file that I can install, but is not
> currently installed in the system?

Have a look here:

http://www.portagefilelist.de/index.php/Special:PFLQuery2

This is not 100% reliable, as sometimes the files that get installed
depend on USE flags and such. But it worked well for me in the past.

Wonko

Old 11-02-2010, 07:27 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 19:25 on Tuesday 02 November 2010, Kfir Lavi
did opine thusly:

> Hi,
> Is there a way to search for a file that I can install, but is not
> currently installed in the system?
> For example:
> $ equery belongs zzdir
> [ Searching for file(s) zzdir in *... ]
> dev-libs/zziplib-0.13.59-r1 (/usr/bin/zzdir)
>
> $ eix -I zziplib
> [i] dev-libs/zziplib
> Available versions: 0.13.58-r1 0.13.59-r1 {doc sdl static-libs test}
> Installed versions: 0.13.59-r1(09:22:31 10/30/10)(sdl -doc
> -static-libs -test)
> Homepage: http://zziplib.sourceforge.net/
> from files archived in a single zip file
>

> Here zziplib is installed.
> I would like equery return the same output when zziplib is not installed.

It's not totally possible as Dale and Alex said. The site they gave works well
fpr the most part. But there's another way -

just ask here :-)

Seriously, it works. Someone is bound to have what you need and will run an
equery depends for you. Luckily, the question you ask is actually quite rare.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 11-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2010-11-02, Kfir Lavi <lavi.kfir@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to search for a file that I can install, but is not
> currently installed in the system?

With a meta-distribution, that's not quite possible to do in a
definitive way. With a binarydistribution like Fedora or Ubuntu, you
know what files are going to be installed by any given package, since
the files are already there inside the package file.

With a distro like Gentoo, the files aren't there -- only the
instructions for building them are present, and you don't really know
exactly what files are going to get installed until after you've built
the package from the source code.

If you can find a system that already has the package installed with
all of the USE flags enable, then you can look at that system and be
pretty confident that the same files would be installed on your system
should you install that program with the same USE flags.

So if you install all packages with all USE flags set, you can then
search that system to find out who owns a particular file.

Somebody's already posted a link to a site that attempts to do
something like that, but there's always the possibility that your USE
flags will cause a slightly different set of files to be installed
(IOW you may already have the package installed, but you don't have
the required USE flag).

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! The Osmonds! You are
at all Osmonds!! Throwing up

Old 11-03-2010, 01:03 PM
Joseph

Is there a way to search for a file that I can install, but is not currently
installed in the system?
For example:
$ equery belongs zzdir
[ Searching for file(s) zzdir in *... ]
dev-libs/zziplib-0.13.59-r1 (/usr/bin/zzdir)

$ eix -I zziplib
[i] dev-libs/zziplib
Available versions: 0.13.58-r1 0.13.59-r1 {doc sdl static-libs test}
Installed versions: 0.13.59-r1(09:22:31 10/30/10)(sdl -doc
-static-libs -test)
Homepage: http://zziplib.sourceforge.net/
from files archived in a single zip file

Here zziplib is installed.
I would like equery return the same output when zziplib is not installed.

How about without the '-I"

eix zziplib

--
Joseph

Old 11-03-2010, 01:33 PM
Sebastian Beßler

Available versions: 0.13.58-r1 0.13.59-r1 {doc sdl static-libs test}
Installed versions: 0.13.59-r1(09:47:38 13.10.2010)(sdl -doc
-static-libs -test)

Homepage: http://zziplib.sourceforge.net/
data from files archived in a single zip file

So it is nothing near the wanted result.

Greetings

Sebastian Beßler

Old 11-03-2010, 01:41 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 16:33 on Wednesday 03 November 2010, Sebastian
Beßler did opine thusly:

> Am 03.11.2010 15:03, schrieb Joseph:
> > How about without the '-I"
> >
> > eix zziplib
>
> That gives:
>
> Shao ~ # eix zziplib
> [i] dev-libs/zziplib
> Available versions: 0.13.58-r1 0.13.59-r1 {doc sdl static-libs test}
> Installed versions: 0.13.59-r1(09:47:38 13.10.2010)(sdl -doc
> -static-libs -test)
> Homepage: http://zziplib.sourceforge.net/
> data from files archived in a single zip file
>
> So it is nothing near the wanted result.

Using eix to find anything you don't have is a waste of time.

eix indexes stuff you DO have or is in the tree. It does not index files you
do not have.

Doh.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com