Old 11-01-2010, 09:28 AM
Harry Putnam

Default When ls command fails but only on $HOME

Something I have not run into before.

Following a major update still in progress I find the ls command will
not run on $HOME.

I can view the directory with emacs in dired mode but `ls' simply will
not complete... never shows anything and stays hung indefinitely.

Top shows 94% idle so its not from heavy system usage.

The ls command seems to work anywhere else, and I see nothing peculiar
when viewing $HOME with emacs.

Running `ls' from a root shell against my user $HOME, is the same story,
indefinite hang, nothing listed.

I've let it run from both user and root shell for upwards of 1/2 hr.
Still just sets there.

I've killed the terminal and restarted both user and root shells. But
still the same result... a `ls' against my user $HOME will just hang.

In both root shell and user shell, once `ls' is run against my user
$HOME, the command hangs but also cannot by interrupted. Ctrl-c will
not stop it.

It only seem to happen on $HOME.... how very odd.
Anyone else seen that or have an idea what might be the cause?

Old 11-01-2010, 09:49 AM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 12:28 on Monday 01 November 2010, Harry Putnam
did opine thusly:

> Something I have not run into before.
>
> Following a major update still in progress I find the ls command will
> not run on $HOME.
>
> I can view the directory with emacs in dired mode but `ls' simply will
> not complete... never shows anything and stays hung indefinitely.
>
> Top shows 94% idle so its not from heavy system usage.
>
> The ls command seems to work anywhere else, and I see nothing peculiar
> when viewing $HOME with emacs.
>
> Running `ls' from a root shell against my user $HOME, is the same story,
> indefinite hang, nothing listed.
>
> I've let it run from both user and root shell for upwards of 1/2 hr.
> Still just sets there.
>
> I've killed the terminal and restarted both user and root shells. But
> still the same result... a `ls' against my user $HOME will just hang.
>
> In both root shell and user shell, once `ls' is run against my user
> $HOME, the command hangs but also cannot by interrupted. Ctrl-c will
> not stop it.
>
> It only seem to happen on $HOME.... how very odd.
> Anyone else seen that or have an idea what might be the cause?

By the time the command hits ls itself, the shell has already expanded the
HOME variable. So it's unlikely to be the command and more something dodgy
with your shell.

What shell are you using?
What is the output of "echo $HOME"?

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 11-01-2010, 09:56 AM
Harry Putnam

Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> writes:

> Apparently, though unproven, at 12:28 on Monday 01 November 2010, Harry Putnam
> did opine thusly:
>
>> Something I have not run into before.
>>
>> Following a major update still in progress I find the ls command will
>> not run on $HOME.
>>
>> I can view the directory with emacs in dired mode but `ls' simply will
>> not complete... never shows anything and stays hung indefinitely.
>>
>> Top shows 94% idle so its not from heavy system usage.
>>
>> The ls command seems to work anywhere else, and I see nothing peculiar
>> when viewing $HOME with emacs.
>>
>> Running `ls' from a root shell against my user $HOME, is the same story,
>> indefinite hang, nothing listed.
>>
>> I've let it run from both user and root shell for upwards of 1/2 hr.
>> Still just sets there.
>>
>> I've killed the terminal and restarted both user and root shells. But
>> still the same result... a `ls' against my user $HOME will just hang.
>>
>> In both root shell and user shell, once `ls' is run against my user
>> $HOME, the command hangs but also cannot by interrupted. Ctrl-c will
>> not stop it.
>>
>> It only seem to happen on $HOME.... how very odd.
>> Anyone else seen that or have an idea what might be the cause?
>
> By the time the command hits ls itself, the shell has already expanded the
> HOME variable. So it's unlikely to be the command and more something dodgy
> with your shell.
>
> What shell are you using?
> What is the output of "echo $HOME"?

My shell is xterm... and was just updated to:
Wed Oct 27 10:15:06 2010 >>> x11-terms/xterm-262

echo $HOME
/home/reader

That recent update may be the problem. I'll back that out later to
see, but right now have a bigger and more urgent problem getting mail
back in order following a major update.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:07 AM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 12:56 on Monday 01 November 2010, Harry Putnam
did opine thusly:

> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> writes:
> > Apparently, though unproven, at 12:28 on Monday 01 November 2010, Harry
> > Putnam
> >
> > did opine thusly:
> >> Something I have not run into before.
> >>
> >> Following a major update still in progress I find the ls command will
> >> not run on $HOME.
> >>
> >> I can view the directory with emacs in dired mode but `ls' simply will
> >> not complete... never shows anything and stays hung indefinitely.
> >>
> >> Top shows 94% idle so its not from heavy system usage.
> >>
> >> The ls command seems to work anywhere else, and I see nothing peculiar
> >> when viewing $HOME with emacs.
> >>
> >> Running `ls' from a root shell against my user $HOME, is the same story,
> >> indefinite hang, nothing listed.
> >>
> >> I've let it run from both user and root shell for upwards of 1/2 hr.
> >> Still just sets there.
> >>
> >> I've killed the terminal and restarted both user and root shells. But
> >> still the same result... a `ls' against my user $HOME will just hang.
> >>
> >> In both root shell and user shell, once `ls' is run against my user
> >> $HOME, the command hangs but also cannot by interrupted. Ctrl-c will
> >> not stop it.
> >>
> >> It only seem to happen on $HOME.... how very odd.
> >> Anyone else seen that or have an idea what might be the cause?
> >
> > By the time the command hits ls itself, the shell has already expanded
> > the HOME variable. So it's unlikely to be the command and more something
> > dodgy with your shell.
> >
> > What shell are you using?
> > What is the output of "echo $HOME"?
>
> My shell is xterm... and was just updated to:
> Wed Oct 27 10:15:06 2010 >>> x11-terms/xterm-262

That's the terminal.

What shell do you use/

Old 11-01-2010, 11:01 AM
Willie Wong

On Mon, Nov 01, 2010 at 01:07:34PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> > > By the time the command hits ls itself, the shell has already expanded
> > > the HOME variable. So it's unlikely to be the command and more something
> > > dodgy with your shell.
> > >
> > > What shell are you using?
> > > What is the output of "echo $HOME"?
> >
> > My shell is xterm... and was just updated to:
> > Wed Oct 27 10:15:06 2010 >>> x11-terms/xterm-262
>
> That's the terminal.
>
> What shell do you use/
>
> > echo $HOME
> > /home/reader

Before we go further, when you said `ls' will not complete against
$HOME, which of the following scenario did you mean?

a) you typed `ls $HOME' as a user (the one I think Alan thinks you
mean)
b) you type `ls' while in your home directory (/home/reader)
c) you typed `ls /home/reader' ?

Willie W. Wong wwong@math.princeton.edu
et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton

Old 11-01-2010, 11:51 AM
Harry Putnam

Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

>> > What shell are you using?
>> > What is the output of "echo $HOME"?
>>
>> My shell is xterm... and was just updated to:
>> Wed Oct 27 10:15:06 2010 >>> x11-terms/xterm-262
>
> That's the terminal.
>
> What shell do you use/

Sorry... still asleep... bash-4.1_p9

Willie Wong <wwong@Math.Princeton.EDU> writes:

[...]

> Before we go further, when you said `ls' will not complete against
> $HOME, which of the following scenario did you mean?
>
> a) you typed `ls $HOME' as a user (the one I think Alan thinks you
> mean)
> b) you type `ls' while in your home directory (/home/reader)
> c) you typed `ls /home/reader' ?

All three of those produce the same effect. Also if run from root
shell against my users home `# ls /home/reader'

The command just hangs there as described.

However, as indicated earlier... my user or root can run `ls' against
any other directory like normal.

ls /etc

Shows the content of /etc

ls /home/reader

Hangs eternally.

Also, as mentioned, I can view /home/reader with emacs in dired
(directory) mode, Which oddly enough uses ls and ls switches for that
display far as I know.

However, vim will not display /home/reader... and
hangs eternally... requiring the shell to be killed.

Viewing $HOME with emacs shows nothing untoward that I see. I thought
maybe I'd somehow acquired thousands of files and `ls' was just taking
forever to display the list... but no... nothing unusual in $HOME.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:06 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 01 Nov 2010 07:51:50 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:

> However, as indicated earlier... my user or root can run `ls' against
> any other directory like normal.
>
> ls /etc
>
> Shows the content of /etc
>
> ls /home/reader

What about ls /home/reader/somedir ?

--
Neil Bothwick

A friend of mine sent me a postcard with a satellite photo of the
entire planet on it, and on the back he wrote, "Wish you were here."

Old 11-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 14:51 on Monday 01 November 2010, Harry Putnam
did opine thusly:

> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> writes:
>

> [...]
> >>
> >> My shell is xterm... and was just updated to:
> >> Wed Oct 27 10:15:06 2010 >>> x11-terms/xterm-262
> >
> > That's the terminal.
> >
> > What shell do you use/
>
> Sorry... still asleep... bash-4.1_p9
>

> Willie Wong <wwong@Math.Princeton.EDU> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> > Before we go further, when you said `ls' will not complete against
> > $HOME, which of the following scenario did you mean?
> >
> > a) you typed `ls $HOME' as a user (the one I think Alan thinks you
> >
> > mean)
> >
> > b) you type `ls' while in your home directory (/home/reader)
> > c) you typed `ls /home/reader' ?
>
> All three of those produce the same effect. Also if run from root
> shell against my users home `# ls /home/reader'
>
> The command just hangs there as described.
>
> However, as indicated earlier... my user or root can run `ls' against
> any other directory like normal.
>
> ls /etc
>
> Shows the content of /etc
>
> ls /home/reader
>
> Hangs eternally.
>
> Also, as mentioned, I can view /home/reader with emacs in dired
> (directory) mode, Which oddly enough uses ls and ls switches for that
> display far as I know.
>
> However, vim will not display /home/reader... and
> hangs eternally... requiring the shell to be killed.
>
> Viewing $HOME with emacs shows nothing untoward that I see. I thought
> maybe I'd somehow acquired thousands of files and `ls' was just taking
> forever to display the list... but no... nothing unusual in $HOME.

I suspect directory corruption in /home - is it a separate partition?

I don't recall if you mentioned this or not, do you get the same result if you
run "ls $HOME" as root? root's home dir is not on /home so that will vbe a
valuable clue. If that command works, do an fsck on /home

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 11-01-2010, 12:30 PM
alex

Am 01.11.2010 14:13, schrieb Alan McKinnon:
> Apparently, though unproven, at 14:51 on Monday 01 November 2010, Harry Putnam
> did opine thusly:
>
>> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> writes:
>>

>> [...]
>>>
>>> That's the terminal.
>>>
>>> What shell do you use/
>>
>> Sorry... still asleep... bash-4.1_p9
>>

>> Willie Wong <wwong@Math.Princeton.EDU> writes:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> Before we go further, when you said `ls' will not complete against
>>> $HOME, which of the following scenario did you mean?
>>>
>>> a) you typed `ls $HOME' as a user (the one I think Alan thinks you
>>>
>>> mean)
>>>
>>> b) you type `ls' while in your home directory (/home/reader)
>>> c) you typed `ls /home/reader' ?
>>
>> All three of those produce the same effect. Also if run from root
>> shell against my users home `# ls /home/reader'
>>
>> The command just hangs there as described.
>>
>> However, as indicated earlier... my user or root can run `ls' against
>> any other directory like normal.
>>
>> ls /etc
>>
>> Shows the content of /etc
>>
>> ls /home/reader
>>
>> Hangs eternally.
>>
>> Also, as mentioned, I can view /home/reader with emacs in dired
>> (directory) mode, Which oddly enough uses ls and ls switches for that
>> display far as I know.
>>
>> However, vim will not display /home/reader... and
>> hangs eternally... requiring the shell to be killed.
>>
>> Viewing $HOME with emacs shows nothing untoward that I see. I thought
>> maybe I'd somehow acquired thousands of files and `ls' was just taking
>> forever to display the list... but no... nothing unusual in $HOME.
>

> I suspect directory corruption in /home - is it a separate partition?
>
> I don't recall if you mentioned this or not, do you get the same result if you
> run "ls $HOME" as root? root's home dir is not on /home so that will vbe a
> valuable clue. If that command works, do an fsck on /home

Could also some problem with the inodes, could't?

Old 11-01-2010, 01:11 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 15:30 on Monday 01 November 2010, alex did
opine thusly:

> > I suspect directory corruption in /home - is it a separate partition?
> >
> > I don't recall if you mentioned this or not, do you get the same result
> > if you run "ls $HOME" as root? root's home dir is not on /home so that
> > will vbe a valuable clue. If that command works, do an fsck on /home
>
> Could also some problem with the inodes, could't?

Yes. Doesn't matter if it's inodes or blocks, it's still corruption.
inodes are just blocks that the fs drivers understands to treat specially.
--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com