Old 02-01-2008, 12:39 PM
Grant

Default Process on server, print on client

I'm currently processing orders one by one and I'd like to increase
automation. I'm currently submitting an order number from my desktop
to my server via firefox, and manually opening and printing the
resultant receipt and shipping label. How would you guys suggest I
set this up to batch so that I can process all orders with one click
and have the resultant receipts and shipping labels print
automatically, all at once? The printing part is what I'm having
difficulty conceptualizing because I do all of my programming on the
server side and the printing needs to happen on the client side. Not
sure how to get those two working together. Both systems run Gentoo.

- Grant

Old 02-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Qian Qiao

Old 02-01-2008, 01:35 PM
Uwe Thiem

On Friday 01 February 2008, Grant wrote:
> I'm currently processing orders one by one and I'd like to increase
> automation. I'm currently submitting an order number from my
> desktop to my server via firefox, and manually opening and printing
> the resultant receipt and shipping label. How would you guys
> suggest I set this up to batch so that I can process all orders
> with one click and have the resultant receipts and shipping labels
> print
> automatically, all at once? The printing part is what I'm having
> difficulty conceptualizing because I do all of my programming on
> the server side and the printing needs to happen on the client
> side. Not sure how to get those two working together. Both
> systems run Gentoo.

Printing always on the same client? That's easy. CUPS can print over
the network. Configure a queue for that client on the server.

If printing is supposed to happen on a variety of clients, that's a
wee bit more complex. Configure a queue for each client. Now you must
use some middleware (cgi, php, ...) on the server that figures out
from which client (IP) the request has come. Use the appropriate
queue. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Uwe

--
Informal Linux Group Namibia:
http://www.linux.org.na/

Old 02-01-2008, 01:55 PM
Grant

> > I'm currently processing orders one by one and I'd like to increase
> > automation. I'm currently submitting an order number from my
> > desktop to my server via firefox, and manually opening and printing
> > the resultant receipt and shipping label. How would you guys
> > suggest I set this up to batch so that I can process all orders
> > with one click and have the resultant receipts and shipping labels
> > print
> > automatically, all at once? The printing part is what I'm having
> > difficulty conceptualizing because I do all of my programming on
> > the server side and the printing needs to happen on the client
> > side. Not sure how to get those two working together. Both
> > systems run Gentoo.
>
> Printing always on the same client? That's easy. CUPS can print over
> the network. Configure a queue for that client on the server.

Yeah, always on the same client. So I would set up cups on the remote
server and fill up its queue with files to be printed, and set my
local Gentoo firewall/printserver to monitor the server's cups queue?

Could I instead have the server do something like 'lpr my.ip.address:631'?

- Grant

Old 02-01-2008, 05:40 PM
Grant

> > > I'm currently processing orders one by one and I'd like to increase
> > > automation. I'm currently submitting an order number from my
> > > desktop to my server via firefox, and manually opening and printing
> > > the resultant receipt and shipping label. How would you guys
> > > suggest I set this up to batch so that I can process all orders
> > > with one click and have the resultant receipts and shipping labels
> > > print
> > > automatically, all at once? The printing part is what I'm having
> > > difficulty conceptualizing because I do all of my programming on
> > > the server side and the printing needs to happen on the client
> > > side. Not sure how to get those two working together. Both
> > > systems run Gentoo.
> >
> > Printing always on the same client? That's easy. CUPS can print over
> > the network. Configure a queue for that client on the server.

Got it. I just needed to set up the remote server like any other
client trying to use the cups print server. Thanks a lot.

- Grant

Old 02-01-2008, 05:44 PM
Grant

> > I'm currently processing orders one by one and I'd like to increase
> > automation. I'm currently submitting an order number from my
> > desktop to my server via firefox, and manually opening and printing
> > the resultant receipt and shipping label. How would you guys
> > suggest I set this up to batch so that I can process all orders
> > with one click and have the resultant receipts and shipping labels
> > print
> > automatically, all at once? The printing part is what I'm having
> > difficulty conceptualizing because I do all of my programming on
> > the server side and the printing needs to happen on the client
> > side. Not sure how to get those two working together. Both
> > systems run Gentoo.
>
> Printing always on the same client? That's easy. CUPS can print over
> the network. Configure a queue for that client on the server.

What if Cox changes my IP? The ServerName directive in client.conf on
my server won't be pointing to the right place in that case. Any way
to allow for that?

- Grant