Old 10-30-2010, 11:55 AM

Default How to record a dvb-t stream for a specific time ?

Hi,

I am looking for a way to record from a dvb-t card a stream of a
certain channel fpr a specific time.

Is there any tool of application to do this from the commandline
so that there is no additional mousclick is needed?

Best regards,
mcc

Old 10-30-2010, 01:33 PM
Fatih Tümen

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 14:55, <meino.cramer@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> *I am looking for a way to record from a dvb-t card a stream of a
> *certain channel fpr a specific time.
>
> *Is there any tool of application to do this from the commandline
> *so that there is no additional mousclick is needed?
>
> *Best regards,
> *mcc

I know that mplayer can do it but I did not try it myself.
mplayer record dvb gives these

[MPlayer-dvb] Record dvb-t on Ubuntu linux
I want to record my favorite dvb-t channels and I found in docs the > > way ...
http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-dvb/2007-March/001911.html

Record dvb-t at night - Ubuntu Forums
I want to record my favorite dvb-t channels and I found in docs the
way to do it : mplayer -dumpfile r1.ts -dumpstream dvb://CHANNEL ...

* *Fatih

Old 10-30-2010, 01:54 PM

Fatih T??men <fthtmn+gentoo@gmail.com> [10-10-30 15:36]:
> On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 14:55, <meino.cramer@gmx.de> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >

> > *I am looking for a way to record from a dvb-t card a stream of a
> > *certain channel fpr a specific time.
> >
> > *Is there any tool of application to do this from the commandline
> > *so that there is no additional mousclick is needed?
> >
> > *Best regards,
> > *mcc
> >

> I know that mplayer can do it but I did not try it myself.
> mplayer record dvb gives these
>
> [MPlayer-dvb] Record dvb-t on Ubuntu linux
> I want to record my favorite dvb-t channels and I found in docs the > > way ...
> http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-dvb/2007-March/001911.html
>
> Record dvb-t at night - Ubuntu Forums
> I want to record my favorite dvb-t channels and I found in docs the
> way to do it : mplayer -dumpfile r1.ts -dumpstream dvb://CHANNEL ...

> * *Fatih

Hi Fatih,

oh thanks a LOT! Great! "mplayer" was the keyword I missed while
googling. I did a more general search and may overlooked those!

Thats helps me a lot!

Have a nice weekend!
Best regards,
mcc

Old 10-31-2010, 10:38 AM
pk

On 2010-10-30 13:55, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:

> I am looking for a way to record from a dvb-t card a stream of a
> certain channel fpr a specific time.
>
> Is there any tool of application to do this from the commandline
> so that there is no additional mousclick is needed?

I assume you have a video device (dev/video0)? If so, you should be able
to capture it by doing 'cat > video_filename.(mpg or whatever format is
used)' . It's what I do for my recordings (v4l2, analog video)...

MfG

Peter K

Old 10-31-2010, 11:30 AM

pk <peterk2@coolmail.se> [10-10-31 12:40]:
> On 2010-10-30 13:55, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
>
> > I am looking for a way to record from a dvb-t card a stream of a
> > certain channel fpr a specific time.
> >
> > Is there any tool of application to do this from the commandline
> > so that there is no additional mousclick is needed?
>
> I assume you have a video device (dev/video0)? If so, you should be able
> to capture it by doing 'cat > video_filename.(mpg or whatever format is
> used)' . It's what I do for my recordings (v4l2, analog video)...
>
> MfG
>
> Peter K

...cat has no timing parameter (see mail)...

Best regards,
mcc

Old 11-01-2010, 05:19 PM
pk

On 2010-10-31 13:30, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:

> ...cat has no timing parameter (see mail)...

Yes, but I put it in a sub shell (cat ... &) and then kill it (using a
very rough script that loops date). Basically what I do is:

1. set channel for a certain video adapter (I have two).
2. Use a script that loops date (with a 5 second interval) and when it
hits the threshold starts a sub shell with 'cat /dev/video0 >
filmname.mpg' and saves the PID in a filename with the same name but
with a .pid ending instead.
3. Use a script that loops date and when it hits the threshold reads the
PID of the cat process from the .pid file and kills it.

Perhaps not the ideal way to solve a problem but it works for me without
having to mess with something that can sing & dance while (hopefully)
doing whatever I want it to do... and needing the kitchen sink for a
minimal install.

MfG

Peter K

Old 11-01-2010, 10:36 PM

pk <peterk2@coolmail.se> [10-11-02 00:24]:
> On 2010-10-31 13:30, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
>
> > ...cat has no timing parameter (see mail)...
>
> Yes, but I put it in a sub shell (cat ... &) and then kill it (using a
> very rough script that loops date). Basically what I do is:
>
> 1. set channel for a certain video adapter (I have two).
> 2. Use a script that loops date (with a 5 second interval) and when it
> hits the threshold starts a sub shell with 'cat /dev/video0 >
> filmname.mpg' and saves the PID in a filename with the same name but
> with a .pid ending instead.
> 3. Use a script that loops date and when it hits the threshold reads the
> PID of the cat process from the .pid file and kills it.
>
> Perhaps not the ideal way to solve a problem but it works for me without
> having to mess with something that can sing & dance while (hopefully)
> doing whatever I want it to do... and needing the kitchen sink for a
> minimal install.
>
> MfG
>
> Peter K

Hi Peter,

yes, the "killing thing" was my first idea also. But since it is
not that gentleman like, I asked here for another solution.
In the meanwhile I found this:

tzap -r -H -t <duration in seconds> -o - <channelname from ~/.tzap/channels.conf > "filename"

records the stream into "filename". The redirection is necassary,
since tzap gets problems when trying to write more than 2Gigs of
streamed data.

I start this via fcron.

MfG
mcc