Old 10-28-2010, 07:18 AM
Helmut Jarausch

Default Tracing use flags - how to?

Hi,

this might well we a FAQ but I couldn't find it.

In the process of upgrading to xorg-server-1.8.2 I'd like to remove
the 'hal' use flag.
I have removed it in /etc/make.conf and added 'udev' instead.
The xorg-server definitely doesn't have this use flag set in
/etc/portage/package.use

Still, emerge -vp x11-base/xorg-server shows that it is going to use
the 'hal' but not the 'udev' flag.

How to find out where this comes from.

I haven't found anything in 'use.mask' in my profile
default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop

Many thanks for a hint,
Helmut.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:22 AM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 09:18 on Thursday 28 October 2010, Helmut
Jarausch did opine thusly:

> Hi,
>
> this might well we a FAQ but I couldn't find it.
>
> In the process of upgrading to xorg-server-1.8.2 I'd like to remove
> the 'hal' use flag.
> I have removed it in /etc/make.conf and added 'udev' instead.

That will remove it globally from the entire system, which might not be what
you want. IIRC k3b needs hal for instance to work correctly.

> The xorg-server definitely doesn't have this use flag set in
> /etc/portage/package.use
>
> Still, emerge -vp x11-base/xorg-server shows that it is going to use
> the 'hal' but not the 'udev' flag.
>
> How to find out where this comes from.

I usually read the ebuilds and grep directly through files to find this kind
of stuff :-) I find it easier than remembering commands.

The xorg-server ebuild says:
IUSE_SERVERS="dmx kdrive xorg"
IUSE="${IUSE_SERVERS} doc hal ipv6 minimal nptl tslib +udev"

So it uses all those flags, and "udev" is on by default unless you explicitly
say otherwise somewhere.

> I haven't found anything in 'use.mask' in my profile
> default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop

Post the USE section from emerge --info, the output from
emerge -vp x11-base/xorg-server.
the output from
grep -r udev /etc/portage/*
grep -r hal /etc/portage/*

and let's take it from there.

Finding stuff in profiles is tricky, you have to search upwards through the
directories, not downwards.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 10-28-2010, 09:10 AM
Helmut Jarausch

On 10/28/10 10:22:42, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> Apparently, though unproven, at 09:18 on Thursday 28 October 2010,
> Helmut
> Jarausch did opine thusly:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > this might well we a FAQ but I couldn't find it.
> >
> > In the process of upgrading to xorg-server-1.8.2 I'd like to remove
> > the 'hal' use flag.
> > I have removed it in /etc/make.conf and added 'udev' instead.
>
> That will remove it globally from the entire system, which might not
> be what
> you want. IIRC k3b needs hal for instance to work correctly.

Thanks, I've added it again.

> > The xorg-server definitely doesn't have this use flag set in
> > /etc/portage/package.use
> >
> > Still, emerge -vp x11-base/xorg-server shows that it is going to
> use
> > the 'hal' but not the 'udev' flag.
> >
> > How to find out where this comes from.
>
> I usually read the ebuilds and grep directly through files to find
> this kind
> of stuff :-) I find it easier than remembering commands.
>
> The xorg-server ebuild says:
> IUSE_SERVERS="dmx kdrive xorg"
> IUSE="${IUSE_SERVERS} doc hal ipv6 minimal nptl tslib +udev"
>
> So it uses all those flags, and "udev" is on by default unless you
> explicitly
> say otherwise somewhere.
>

> > I haven't found anything in 'use.mask' in my profile
> > default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop
>
> Post the USE section from emerge --info, the output from
> emerge -vp x11-base/xorg-server.

Unfortunately, that's too late now.
Meanwhile I have add
x11-base/xorg-server -hal
to /etc/portage/package.use

> the output from
> grep -r udev /etc/portage/*
> grep -r hal /etc/portage/*

That didn't show any hal entries.

> and let's take it from there.
>
> Finding stuff in profiles is tricky, you have to search upwards
> through the
> directories, not downwards.

Many thanks, Alan.
Meanwhile, upgrading to xorg-server-1.8.2 went smoothly and
I've removed /etc/hal/fdi/policy/x11-input.fdi
where I had some settings for the keyboard and the mouse.

Helmut.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:30 AM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 11:10 on Thursday 28 October 2010, Helmut
Jarausch did opine thusly:

> Many thanks, Alan.
> Meanwhile, upgrading to xorg-server-1.8.2 went smoothly and
> I've removed /etc/hal/fdi/policy/x11-input.fdi
> where I had some settings for the keyboard and the mouse.

Looks like you hit the sweet spot of success :-)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com