Old 10-27-2010, 09:06 PM
Harry Putnam

Default scrapping hal

I've been off the list a good while and wondered if there is some kind
of guide to scrap hal.

I understand it is being done away with upstream and will probably
require some changes on users part.

I'm also guessing there is some kind of replacement that I need to
learn about if it effects my longtime reliance on xorg.conf to keep
using my huge desktops I like to use. For yrs I've
used.

Subsection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1280x1024" #"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
Virtual 2048 1536
ViewPort 0 0
EndSubsection
EndSection

in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
To get a 2048x1536 desktop to flop around on.

I've never seen or heard of a way to get that without using xorg.conf.

Other things, I noticed was the onetime I did try to dump hal I ended
up with no mouse or keyboard and fiddled with that a couple days,
finally going back to hal.

That has been probably a yr or more ago now.

Back to the point: Can anyone provide some URLS that will help me
form a battle plan or even better a brief outline of (generally) how
to proceed with more or less painlessly dumping hal?

Old 10-27-2010, 09:23 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 23:06 on Wednesday 27 October 2010, Harry
Putnam did opine thusly:

> I've been off the list a good while and wondered if there is some kind
> of guide to scrap hal.
>
> I understand it is being done away with upstream and will probably
> require some changes on users part.
>
> I'm also guessing there is some kind of replacement that I need to
> learn about if it effects my longtime reliance on xorg.conf to keep
> using my huge desktops I like to use. For yrs I've
> used.
>
> Subsection "Display"
> Depth 24
> Modes "1280x1024" #"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
> Virtual 2048 1536
> ViewPort 0 0
> EndSubsection
> EndSection
>
> in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> To get a 2048x1536 desktop to flop around on.
>
> I've never seen or heard of a way to get that without using xorg.conf.
>
> Other things, I noticed was the onetime I did try to dump hal I ended
> up with no mouse or keyboard and fiddled with that a couple days,
> finally going back to hal.
>
> That has been probably a yr or more ago now.
>
> Back to the point: Can anyone provide some URLS that will help me
> form a battle plan or even better a brief outline of (generally) how
> to proceed with more or less painlessly dumping hal?

It should all just work automagically with no real effort from you.

However, you cannot just unmerge hal and expect stuff to work, you might still
need it, as in:

$ emerge -pv --depclean hal

Calculating dependencies... done!
sys-apps/hal-0.5.14-r3 pulled in by:
app-cdr/k3b-2.0.1
app-emulation/virtualbox-ose-3.2.10
app-misc/hal-info-20091130
dev-libs/e_dbus-9999
kde-base/solid-4.5.2
media-gfx/gimp-2.6.10
media-libs/libgphoto2-2.4.9

Recent xorg-server (i.e. 1.9.1 do not have hal in USE anymore. For earlier
versions, you may still need to set USE=-hal udev for xorg-server in
package.use. Then rebuild xorg-server. If you are *updating* xorg-server while
doing this, then you might need to rebuild mesa and all the drivers as usual
for an xorg update.

As for xorg.conf. It's not quite true that you don't need an xorg.conf - this
is still needed to define Screens and Devices if you have more than just one
video adapter at native resolution. The part you don't need without hal is the
Input section.

Once you have rebuilt xorg-server and made sure you run a recent udev plus
evdev in the kernel, comment out ALL Input sections in xorg.conf and all
references to them. Restart X.

It should all JustWork(tm). In the rare event it doesn't, post back with logs
etc and we'll take it from there.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 10-27-2010, 09:31 PM
Paul Hartman

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
> I'm also guessing there is some kind of replacement that I need to
> learn about if it effects my longtime reliance on xorg.conf to keep
> using my huge desktops I like to use. *For yrs I've
> used.
>
> * *Subsection "Display"
> * * * *Depth * * * 24
> * * * *Modes * * * "1280x1024" #"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
> * * * *Virtual * * 2048 1536
> * * * *ViewPort * *0 0
> * *EndSubsection
> EndSection
>
> in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> To get a 2048x1536 desktop to flop around on.
>
> I've never seen or heard of a way to get that without using xorg.conf.

I think you would use xrandr to set it, or your desktop environment's
GUI settings panel (or equivalent).

Old 10-27-2010, 09:35 PM
Paul Hartman

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 4:31 PM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
>> I'm also guessing there is some kind of replacement that I need to
>> learn about if it effects my longtime reliance on xorg.conf to keep
>> using my huge desktops I like to use. *For yrs I've
>> used.
>>
>> * *Subsection "Display"
>> * * * *Depth * * * 24
>> * * * *Modes * * * "1280x1024" #"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
>> * * * *Virtual * * 2048 1536
>> * * * *ViewPort * *0 0
>> * *EndSubsection
>> EndSection
>>
>> in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>> To get a 2048x1536 desktop to flop around on.
>>
>> I've never seen or heard of a way to get that without using xorg.conf.
>
> I think you would use xrandr to set it, or your desktop environment's
> GUI settings panel (or equivalent).

Also, I think if you still need to use an xorg.conf file if you want
to use the proprietary NVIDIA or ATI drivers. If you're using the
standard xorg drivers then it should all probe and configure
automagically. In theory.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:23 AM
Philip Webb

101027 Harry Putnam wrote:
> I wondered if there is some kind of guide to scrap hal.

From my notes, having done it on 2 desktops machines + 1 netbook :

To remove Hal : drop '-hal' flag, add 'udev' flag ;
update to Xorg-server >= 1.8.0 -drivers >= 1.8
Xinit >= 1.2.1 + drivers ;
re-merge Exo Thunar ;
delete refs to 'mouse' 'keyboard' in xorg.conf ;
remove 'hald' fr /etc/runlevels/default/ .

IIRC Hal is needed to the KDE desktop, but not for most KDE apps;
I use Fluxbox + quite a few KDE apps; Exo Thunar belong to Xfce.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 10-28-2010, 03:20 AM
Harry Putnam

Philip Webb <purslow@ca.inter.net> writes:

> 101027 Harry Putnam wrote:
>> I wondered if there is some kind of guide to scrap hal.
>
> From my notes, having done it on 2 desktops machines + 1 netbook :

Nice .. many thanks but one question....

> To remove Hal : drop '-hal' flag, add 'udev' flag ;

So no kind of hal flag in make.conf, or is `-hal' a typo that
should be `drop 'hal' flag?

Old 10-28-2010, 03:22 AM
Harry Putnam

Old 10-28-2010, 03:50 AM
Dale

Philip Webb wrote:

101027 Harry Putnam wrote:

I wondered if there is some kind of guide to scrap hal.

> From my notes, having done it on 2 desktops machines + 1 netbook :

To remove Hal : drop '-hal' flag, add 'udev' flag ;
update to Xorg-server>= 1.8.0 -drivers>= 1.8
Xinit>= 1.2.1 + drivers ;
re-merge Exo Thunar ;
delete refs to 'mouse' 'keyboard' in xorg.conf ;
remove 'hald' fr /etc/runlevels/default/ .

IIRC Hal is needed to the KDE desktop, but not for most KDE apps;
I use Fluxbox + quite a few KDE apps; Exo Thunar belong to Xfce.

I think KDE is moving away from hal to tho. I read somewhere the switch
is coming. I think it is switching to policykit at some point. I
notice it is already in the USE flags for kdelibs here, disabled here at
the moment tho. That would be if it doesn't change again.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 10-28-2010, 03:54 AM
Harry Putnam

Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
>> I'm also guessing there is some kind of replacement that I need to
>> learn about if it effects my longtime reliance on xorg.conf to keep
>> using my huge desktops I like to use. *For yrs I've
>> used.
>>
>> * *Subsection "Display"
>> * * * *Depth * * * 24
>> * * * *Modes * * * "1280x1024" #"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
>> * * * *Virtual * * 2048 1536
>> * * * *ViewPort * *0 0
>> * *EndSubsection
>> EndSection
>>
>> in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>> To get a 2048x1536 desktop to flop around on.
>>
>> I've never seen or heard of a way to get that without using xorg.conf.
>
> I think you would use xrandr to set it, or your desktop environment's
> GUI settings panel (or equivalent).

I may be using xrandr wrong but it doesn't do the trick used like
this:

I'm running an `emerge world' so didn't want to close down X so I used
Ctrl-alt F1 to leave X and then Ctrl-alt F2 to login on a different
virtual terminal.

Then commented out the `Virtual' line in xorg.conf:

EndSubsection
Subsection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1280x1024" #"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
# Virtual 2048 1536
ViewPort 0 0
EndSubsection
EndSection

Then startx on a different display.

startx -- :1

Once X is up:

xrandr <no args>
shows 1280x1024 as being the highest resolution.

xrandr -s 2048x1536 shows:

Size 2048x1536 not found in available modes

The xfce display setting tool also shows 1280 as the highest possible
setting.

I've asked before where else this might be set... in more than 1
forum. I think you may find its not all that easy to set a Resolution
way higher than your card supports.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:46 AM
Paul Colquhoun

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 14:54:51 Harry Putnam wrote:
> Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> writes:
> > On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
> >> I'm also guessing there is some kind of replacement that I need to
> >> learn about if it effects my longtime reliance on xorg.conf to keep
> >> using my huge desktops I like to use. For yrs I've
> >> used.
> >>
> >> Subsection "Display"
> >> Depth 24
> >> Modes "1280x1024" #"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
> >> Virtual 2048 1536
> >> ViewPort 0 0
> >> EndSubsection
> >> EndSection
> >>
> >> in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> >> To get a 2048x1536 desktop to flop around on.
> >>
> >> I've never seen or heard of a way to get that without using xorg.conf.
> >
> > I think you would use xrandr to set it, or your desktop environment's
> > GUI settings panel (or equivalent).
>
> I may be using xrandr wrong but it doesn't do the trick used like
> this:
>
> I'm running an `emerge world' so didn't want to close down X so I used
> Ctrl-alt F1 to leave X and then Ctrl-alt F2 to login on a different
> virtual terminal.
>
> Then commented out the `Virtual' line in xorg.conf:
>
> EndSubsection
> Subsection "Display"
> Depth 24
> Modes "1280x1024" #"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
> # Virtual 2048 1536
> ViewPort 0 0
> EndSubsection
> EndSection
>

> Then startx on a different display.
>
> startx -- :1
>
> Once X is up:
>
> xrandr <no args>
> shows 1280x1024 as being the highest resolution.
>

> xrandr -s 2048x1536 shows:
>
> Size 2048x1536 not found in available modes
>
> The xfce display setting tool also shows 1280 as the highest possible
> setting.
>
> I've asked before where else this might be set... in more than 1
> forum. I think you may find its not all that easy to set a Resolution
> way higher than your card supports.

Did you look at the man page for xrandr?

I think you need the "--fb" & "--panning" options. There is even an example
towards the end of the man page.

--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC. http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.