Old 10-27-2010, 01:40 PM
Kfir Lavi

Default How should I keep my contacts ?

Hi,
I'm looking for a way to keep my contacts.
What I prefer is a server with database, lets say sqlite, and a front end.
I need to read again the LDAP configuration, but wanted to know if there is something similar but less tedious.

Regards,
Kfir

Old 10-27-2010, 02:00 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 15:40 on Wednesday 27 October 2010, Kfir Lavi
did opine thusly:

> Hi,
> I'm looking for a way to keep my contacts.
> What I prefer is a server with database, lets say sqlite, and a front end.
> I need to read again the LDAP configuration, but wanted to know if there is
> something similar but less tedious.

akonadi

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 10-27-2010, 02:13 PM
Kfir Lavi

Apparently, though unproven, at 15:40 on Wednesday 27 October 2010, Kfir Lavi

did opine thusly:

> Hi,

> I'm looking for a way to keep my contacts.

> What I prefer is a server with database, lets say sqlite, and a front end.

> I need to read again the LDAP configuration, but wanted to know if there is

> something similar but less tedious.

akonadi

--

alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Is there something that don't involve kde or gnome? I'm running a clean fluxbox.

Tnx,
Kfir

Old 10-27-2010, 03:03 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 16:13 on Wednesday 27 October 2010, Kfir Lavi
did opine thusly:

> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 4:00 PM, Alan McKinnon
<alan.mckinnon@gmail.com>wrote:
> > Apparently, though unproven, at 15:40 on Wednesday 27 October 2010, Kfir
> > Lavi
> >
> > did opine thusly:
> > > Hi,
> > > I'm looking for a way to keep my contacts.
> > > What I prefer is a server with database, lets say sqlite, and a front
> >
> > end.
> >
> > > I need to read again the LDAP configuration, but wanted to know if
> > > there
> >
> > is
> >
> > > something similar but less tedious.
> >
> > akonadi
> >

> > --
> > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
>
> Is there something that don't involve kde or gnome? I'm running a clean
> fluxbox.

I'm going to answer your exact question with the only answer it deserves:

text file with vi frontend

To get a better answer, compose a better mail. To find out how to do that,
google "how to ask questions" by Eric S.Raymond, read his essay, then come
back and try again.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 10-27-2010, 03:42 PM
Kfir Lavi

Apparently, though unproven, at 16:13 on Wednesday 27 October 2010, Kfir Lavi

did opine thusly:

> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 4:00 PM, Alan McKinnon

<alan.mckinnon@gmail.com>wrote:

> > Apparently, though unproven, at 15:40 on Wednesday 27 October 2010, Kfir

> > Lavi

> > did opine thusly:

> > > Hi,

> > > I'm looking for a way to keep my contacts.

> > > What I prefer is a server with database, lets say sqlite, and a front

> > end.

> > > I need to read again the LDAP configuration, but wanted to know if

> > > there

> > is

> > > something similar but less tedious.

> > akonadi

> > --

> > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

> Is there something that don't involve kde or gnome? I'm running a clean

> fluxbox.

I'm going to answer your exact question with the only answer it deserves:

text file with vi frontend

To get a better answer, compose a better mail. To find out how to do that,

google "how to ask questions" by Eric S.Raymond, read his essay, then come

back and try again.

--

alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Ok I will,
Tnx for your help,
Kfir

Old 10-27-2010, 10:11 PM
Mick

On Wednesday 27 October 2010 16:42:16 Kfir Lavi wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 5:03 PM, Alan McKinnon
<alan.mckinnon@gmail.com>wrote:
> > Apparently, though unproven, at 16:13 on Wednesday 27 October 2010, Kfir
> > Lavi
> >
> > did opine thusly:

> > Kfir

> > > Is there something that don't involve kde or gnome? I'm running a clean
> > > fluxbox.
> >
> > I'm going to answer your exact question with the only answer it deserves:
> >
> > text file with vi frontend
> >

> > To get a better answer, compose a better mail. To find out how to do
> > that, google "how to ask questions" by Eric S.Raymond, read his essay,
> > then come back and try again.
> >

> > --
> > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
> >
> > Ok I will,
>
> Tnx for your help,

I need to read this too one day.

If a front end to sqlite is needed then you can use sqlite on the CLI and
brush up on the different commands available (man sqlite), or if you are
looking for a GUI editor, you may want to consider sqlitebrowser:

$ eix -l sqlitebrowser
[i] dev-db/sqlitebrowser
Available versions:
(~) 2.00_beta1 "~amd64 ~x86"
Installed versions: 2.00_beta1(10:25:20 18/07/10)
Homepage: http://sqlitebrowser.sourceforge.net/

Also, I understand that iPhone uses sqlite to manage address book entries, so
you may find something which will also work on your desktop - have a look in
Google. I came across these pages as a starter for 10:

http://probertson.com/projects/addressbook/

http://www.dprogramming.com/enticeaddrbook.html

HTH.
Mick

Old 10-27-2010, 10:34 PM
Stroller

On 27 Oct 2010, at 14:40, Kfir Lavi wrote:
> I'm looking for a way to keep my contacts.
> What I prefer is a server with database, lets say sqlite, and a front end.
> I need to read again the LDAP configuration, but wanted to know if there is something similar but less tedious.

AIUI CardDAV is supposed to be the new way to do this.

AIUI the idea is that you don't want users modifying LDAP data, but they might want to add notes for their contacts, and two users may have different notes, or even different phone numbers for the same contact (the person entrusts only one of the employees with their home phone number, for example).

In the Windows ecosystem Exchange handles mail, calendaring and contacts. I think the idea is that CardDAV joins IMAP and CalDAV and in offering an open-standards answer to the same problems.

Stroller.