Old 10-27-2010, 03:21 AM
Vincent Launchbury

Default Fluxbox and using kdm

On 2010/10/26 07:29PM, Dale wrote:
> Is starting fluxbox without kdm as easy as typing "startfluxbox" in a
> console as a user? Surely it can't be that easy.

No, since X has to be started first. X creates windows, but just puts
them all on top of each other, with no way to move them, and no way to
switch between them except by clicking. Fluxbox just runs ontop of X,
and manages it's windows, adding decorations and a sane way to control
them. For example, try doing:
xinit "xterm -e /bin/bash" -- /usr/bin/X -nolisten tcp
and run fluxbox from the xterm. It's just a layer ontop of an already
running X.

You should be able to start fluxbox from a console with just:
startx /usr/bin/startfluxbox
which overrides the default /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc script. That should
basically create an xauthority file and run xinit, which in turn starts
X, then fluxbox, and waits for fluxbox to exit so it can shutdown X
nicely.

Regards,
Vincent.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:52 AM
Dale

Vincent Launchbury wrote:

[...]

I'll give that a try. That is what I am looking for. I once had kdm to
fail on me during a KDE upgrade. I think it was a version mismatch of
some kind because later on as it emerged more packages, ir worked fine.
So, I'm looking to make sure it works with kdm, which it does, and
without kdm, which I am about to find out.

Thanks much.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 10-27-2010, 07:30 AM
Dale

Philip Webb wrote:

101026 Dale wrote:

I'm installing fluxbox, got it emerged.
I use KDE but want a back up in case a upgrade goes bad.
I want to select fluxbox in kdm when I login
but also know how to start fluxbox even if kdm doesn't work.

Why not eschew Kdm altogether ? -- just use 'startx' + ~/.xinitrc :

# PP 091002 : for Fluxbox-1.1.1 + KDE 4
xscreensaver&
kdeinit4&
startfluxbox

Fluxbox mb the most under-rated piece of software in the Linux universe.

I'm only going to use fluxbox on occasion. I'm a KDE user for the most
part, all I have had for several years actually. Someone did post a way
to start fluxbox even if kdm won't start tho. I guess as long as X
works, I can start fluxbox to at least be able to use google, forums and
the mailing list for help.

That said, I do like some things about fluxbox. It is seriously fast.
I have a AMD 2500+ CPU with 2Gbs of ram so you can imagine how fast it
is. It's fast on a 400MHz machine with a small amount of ram much less
this rig. lol I may work on getting my slideshow to work on the
desktop background and who knows, may have a convert. ;-)

Thanks.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 10-27-2010, 07:34 AM
Dale

Dale wrote:

Vincent Launchbury wrote:

[...]

Just to confirm the results. The command startx /usr/bin/startfluxbox
worked fine here. I forgot to do this at first so I will add this. You
have to stop xdm/kdm first. I guess xdm/kdm locks the process.

Other than forgetting to stop xdm, it worked fine. Thanks much. I now
have a backup GUI. So now a KDE upgrade can bork on me and I can still
have something.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 10-27-2010, 03:44 PM
Peter Humphrey

On Wednesday 27 October 2010 06:52:10 Dale wrote:

> I once had kdm to fail on me during a KDE upgrade. I think it was a
> version mismatch of some kind because later on as it emerged more
> packages, it worked fine.

Whenever I have a wholesale upgrade of KDE to do, I restart with no X*
(just the six VTs) and do the upgrade from there. Much safer.

* I keep a no-X startup profile in grub.conf. It omits the extra things
that KDE needs, like HAL and consolekit, and includes gpm. Occasionally
handy, and well worth the effort of maintaining grub.conf.

--
Rgds
Peter. Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:21 PM
Dale

Peter Humphrey wrote:

I once had kdm to fail on me during a KDE upgrade. I think it was a
version mismatch of some kind because later on as it emerged more
packages, it worked fine.

Whenever I have a wholesale upgrade of KDE to do, I restart with no X*
(just the six VTs) and do the upgrade from there. Much safer.

* I keep a no-X startup profile in grub.conf. It omits the extra things
that KDE needs, like HAL and consolekit, and includes gpm. Occasionally
handy, and well worth the effort of maintaining grub.conf.

It's sort of hard to check my email with no GUI tho. Seamonkey seems to
need a GUI of some kind to work right. ;-) I usually start a upgrade
just before I take a nap. Now, if I need to I can use Fluxbox while KDE
upgrades.

I might also add, if I hadn't logged out of KDE while the upgrade was in
progress, it would have kept working since it was already loaded. I
think the problem was that kdelibs had upgraded but the other stuff was
still the previous version and they just didn't like each other.

I'm hoping to build me another rig pretty soon. Then I will have a back
up. May have to get me one of those keyboard/monitor switch thingys.

Are you also saying you reboot when you upgrade KDE? Why? This is
Linux. Rebooting after or before a GUI upgrade is not needed. At worst
a /etc/init.d/xdm restart would reload the GUI stuff.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 10-28-2010, 01:12 AM
Philip Webb

101027 Dale wrote:
> It's sort of hard to check my email with no GUI tho.

Have you looked at Mutt ?

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 10-28-2010, 03:43 AM
Dale

Philip Webb wrote:

101027 Dale wrote:

It's sort of hard to check my email with no GUI tho.

Have you looked at Mutt ?

I'm guessing it is a command line thing. I like a GUI. I could have
used Lynx to access my email and not even have fluxbox. ^_^ Gmail has
web access so I could do it that way I guess.

Notice I said it was hard not impossible? I think impossible for me
would have been more accurate tho. Lynx is not on my list of things I
like and I suspect mutt would be second. lol

I got KDE, I got Fluxbox. As long as X itself is working, I'm good to
go. I hope anyway.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 10-28-2010, 09:24 AM
Peter Humphrey

On Thursday 28 October 2010 00:21:25 Dale wrote:

> It's sort of hard to check my email with no GUI tho.

I didn't suggest you should run without X all the time :-)

Old 10-28-2010, 09:33 AM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 11:24 on Thursday 28 October 2010, Peter
Humphrey did opine thusly:

> On Thursday 28 October 2010 00:21:25 Dale wrote:
> > It's sort of hard to check my email with no GUI tho.
>
> I didn't suggest you should run without X all the time :-)

Why not? If he was using my mail stuff, the machine that sent him his mail
would never run X at all. If it works on the start side, it should work just
as well as the end side too, right?......

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com