Old 02-01-2008, 08:01 AM
Dave Jones

Default gentoo rebuild, cups won't work

Hi Kevin

Kevin O'Gorman wrote on 27/01/08 19:58:
> I've installed cups and hplip. I cannot follow the Gentoo printing
> guide, because that worthy document requires me to add hplip to the
> default runlevel, but hplip does not put anything in /etc/init.d. My
> printer is an old HP Laserjet 4M, which I usually run as a Postscrpt
> printer.

> What have I missed?

Run hp-setup

You'll probably need to rework your cups config files if you've retained
them from the broken install. hp-setup should enable local printing OK.

/etc/init.d/hplip is no longer necessary with recent hplip ebuilds.

Cheers, Dave

Old 02-01-2008, 08:01 AM
Dave Jones

Old 02-01-2008, 09:26 AM
Dale

Dave Jones wrote:
> Hi Kevin
>
> Kevin O'Gorman wrote on 27/01/08 19:58:
>
>> I've installed cups and hplip. I cannot follow the Gentoo printing
>> guide, because that worthy document requires me to add hplip to the
>> default runlevel, but hplip does not put anything in /etc/init.d. My
>> printer is an old HP Laserjet 4M, which I usually run as a Postscrpt
>> printer.
>>

>> What have I missed?
>>

> Run hp-setup
>
> You'll probably need to rework your cups config files if you've retained
> them from the broken install. hp-setup should enable local printing OK.
>
> /etc/init.d/hplip is no longer necessary with recent hplip ebuilds.
>
> Cheers, Dave

And if it still gives you problems, delete /etc/cups then reemerge
cups. I had to do that last part too.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 02-02-2008, 05:18 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Feb 1, 2008 2:26 AM, Dale <dalek1967@bellsouth.net> wrote:

Dave Jones wrote:
> Hi Kevin
>
> Kevin O'Gorman wrote on 27/01/08 19:58:
>
>> I've installed cups and hplip. *I cannot follow the Gentoo printing

>> guide, because that worthy document requires me to add hplip to the
>> default runlevel, but hplip does not put anything in /etc/init.d. *My
>> printer is an old HP Laserjet 4M, which I usually run as a Postscrpt

>> printer.
>>

>> What have I missed?
>>

> Run hp-setup
>
> You'll probably need to rework your cups config files if you've retained
> them from the broken install. *hp-setup should enable local printing OK.

> /etc/init.d/hplip is no longer necessary with recent hplip ebuilds.
>
> Cheers, Dave

And if it still gives you problems, delete /etc/cups then reemerge
cups. *I had to do that last part too.

Dale

The problem is that my printer is on the LPT port (/dev/lp0), and hp-setup does
not find it.* In fact it has an option for LPT printers, but it is greyed out.

*
The printer is really there: I can print by "cat printme >/dev/lp0" with a
suitably formed "printme" file (lines need CR, file ends with ^L^D).

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 02-02-2008, 05:31 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Dave Jones wrote:
> Hi Kevin
>
> Kevin O'Gorman wrote on 27/01/08 19:58:
>
>> I've installed cups and hplip. *I cannot follow the Gentoo printing

>> guide, because that worthy document requires me to add hplip to the
>> default runlevel, but hplip does not put anything in /etc/init.d. *My
>> printer is an old HP Laserjet 4M, which I usually run as a Postscrpt

>> printer.
>>

>> What have I missed?
>>

> Run hp-setup
>
> You'll probably need to rework your cups config files if you've retained
> them from the broken install. *hp-setup should enable local printing OK.

> /etc/init.d/hplip is no longer necessary with recent hplip ebuilds.
>
> Cheers, Dave

And if it still gives you problems, delete /etc/cups then reemerge
cups. *I had to do that last part too.

Dale

The problem is that my printer is on the LPT port (/dev/lp0), and hp-setup does
not find it.* In fact it has an option for LPT printers, but it is greyed out.

*
The printer is really there: I can print by "cat printme >/dev/lp0" with a
suitably formed "printme" file (lines need CR, file ends with ^L^D).

++ kevin

Hmmm.* Digging slightly deeper, I found the /usr/bin/hp-probe program.* It lets me
specifically request a probe of LPT, but finds nothing there.* The printer remains
attached.* I'm even more deeply stumped than before.

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 02-02-2008, 08:01 PM
Dave Jones

Hi Kevin

Kevin O'Gorman wrote on 02/02/08 19:31:

>>> Run hp-setup

>>> You'll probably need to rework your cups config files if you've
>>> retained them from the broken install. hp-setup should enable
>>> local printing OK.

>> And if it still gives you problems, delete /etc/cups then reemerge
>> cups. I had to do that last part too.

> The problem is that my printer is on the LPT port (/dev/lp0), and
> hp-setup does not find it. In fact it has an option for LPT
> printers, but it is greyed out.

> The printer is really there: I can print by "cat printme >/dev/lp0"
> with a suitably formed "printme" file (lines need CR, file ends with
> ^L^D).

> Hmmm. Digging slightly deeper, I found the /usr/bin/hp-probe
> program. It lets me specifically request a probe of LPT, but finds
> nothing there. The printer remains attached. I'm even more deeply
> stumped than before.

Try: hp-setup -i /dev/parport0

See if that helps.

Try hp-setup -h for other options.

I take it that your kernel has parallel port support generated, and that
you have file permission to access /dev/lp0 ?

Cheers, Dave

Old 02-02-2008, 08:26 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Feb 2, 2008 1:01 PM, Dave Jones <Dave.Jones@xs4all.nl> wrote:

Hi Kevin

>>> Run hp-setup

>>> You'll probably need to rework your cups config files if you've
>>> retained them from the broken install. *hp-setup should enable

>>> local printing OK.

>> And if it still gives you problems, delete /etc/cups then reemerge
>> cups. *I had to do that last part too.

> The problem is that my printer is on the LPT port (/dev/lp0), and
> hp-setup does not find it. *In fact it has an option for LPT
> printers, but it is greyed out.

> The printer is really there: I can print by "cat printme >/dev/lp0"

> with a suitably formed "printme" file (lines need CR, file ends with
> ^L^D).

> Hmmm. *Digging slightly deeper, I found the /usr/bin/hp-probe
> program. It lets me specifically request a probe of LPT, but finds

> nothing there. *The printer remains attached. *I'm even more deeply
> stumped than before.

Try: hp-setup -i /dev/parport0

See if that helps.

Try hp-setup -h * *for other options.

I take it that your kernel has parallel port support generated, and that
you have file permission to access /dev/lp0 ?

Cheers, Dave

It runs, but only gives me options for usb and net.* This makes some sense since there
are no /dev/parport* entries in my system.

Nevertheless, I have parallel port support as I understand it.* From my kernel (2.6.22-gentoo-r6) .config file:

#
# Generic Driver Options
#
CONFIG_STANDALONE=y
CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD=y
CONFIG_FW_LOADER=m
# CONFIG_SYS_HYPERVISOR is not set
# CONFIG_CONNECTOR is not set
# CONFIG_MTD is not set
CONFIG_PARPORT=y********************** <<<< parallel port

CONFIG_PARPORT_PC=y**************** <<<< PC style
# CONFIG_PARPORT_SERIAL is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_FIFO is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_SUPERIO is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_GSC is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_AX88796 is not set

CONFIG_PARPORT_1284=y
CONFIG_PNP=y
# CONFIG_PNP_DEBUG is not set

Thanks for the help.
--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 02-03-2008, 06:58 AM
Dale

Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> It runs, but only gives me options for usb and net. This makes some
> sense since there
> are no /dev/parport* entries in my system.
>
> Nevertheless, I have parallel port support as I understand it. From
> my kernel (2.6.22-gentoo-r6) .config file:
>
> #
> # Generic Driver Options
> #
> CONFIG_STANDALONE=y
> CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD=y
> CONFIG_FW_LOADER=m
> # CONFIG_SYS_HYPERVISOR is not set
> # CONFIG_CONNECTOR is not set
> # CONFIG_MTD is not set
> CONFIG_PARPORT=y <<<< parallel port
> CONFIG_PARPORT_PC=y <<<< PC style
> # CONFIG_PARPORT_SERIAL is not set
> # CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_FIFO is not set
> # CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_SUPERIO is not set
> # CONFIG_PARPORT_GSC is not set
> # CONFIG_PARPORT_AX88796 is not set
> CONFIG_PARPORT_1284=y
> CONFIG_PNP=y
> # CONFIG_PNP_DEBUG is not set
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> --
> Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

My printer is on my USB port now. It used to be on parport tho. Here
is my kernel config, shortened version:

root@smoker / # cat /usr/src/linux/.config | grep PARPORT
CONFIG_PARPORT=y
CONFIG_PARPORT_PC=y
CONFIG_PARPORT_SERIAL=y
# CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_FIFO is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_SUPERIO is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_GSC is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_AX88796 is not set
CONFIG_PARPORT_1284=y
# CONFIG_I2C_PARPORT is not set
# CONFIG_I2C_PARPORT_LIGHT is not set
root@smoker / #

Looks like you have the same two I have. Mine did used to work anyway.
Not real sure on that one. You check your USE flags for the HP
package? Here is mine:

root@smoker / # emerge -pv hplip

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R ] net-print/hplip-2.7.10 USE="X ppds -doc -fax -minimal
-parport -scanner -snmp" 14,104 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 14,104 kB
root@smoker / #

Note the parport option? Mine is disabled, by default I guess. You
can add it to the package.use file if yours is disabled too.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 02-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Dave Jones

Kevin O'Gorman wrote on 02/02/08 22:26:

> >> And if it still gives you problems, delete /etc/cups then reemerge
> >> cups. I had to do that last part too.
>
> > The problem is that my printer is on the LPT port (/dev/lp0), and
> > hp-setup does not find it. In fact it has an option for LPT
> > printers, but it is greyed out.
>
> > The printer is really there: I can print by "cat printme >/dev/lp0"
> > with a suitably formed "printme" file (lines need CR, file ends with
> > ^L^D).
>
> > Hmmm. Digging slightly deeper, I found the /usr/bin/hp-probe
> > program. It lets me specifically request a probe of LPT, but finds
> > nothing there. The printer remains attached. I'm even more deeply
> > stumped than before.
>
> Try: hp-setup -i /dev/parport0
>
> See if that helps.
>
> Try hp-setup -h for other options.
>
> I take it that your kernel has parallel port support generated, and that
> you have file permission to access /dev/lp0 ?

> It runs, but only gives me options for usb and net. This makes some
> sense since there are no /dev/parport* entries in my system.

> Nevertheless, I have parallel port support as I understand it. From my
> kernel (2.6.22-gentoo-r6) .config file:

> #
> # Generic Driver Options
> #
> CONFIG_STANDALONE=y
> CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD=y
> CONFIG_FW_LOADER=m
> # CONFIG_SYS_HYPERVISOR is not set
> # CONFIG_CONNECTOR is not set
> # CONFIG_MTD is not set
> CONFIG_PARPORT=y <<<< parallel port
> CONFIG_PARPORT_PC=y <<<< PC style
> # CONFIG_PARPORT_SERIAL is not set
> # CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_FIFO is not set
> # CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_SUPERIO is not set
> # CONFIG_PARPORT_GSC is not set
> # CONFIG_PARPORT_AX88796 is not set
> CONFIG_PARPORT_1284=y
> CONFIG_PNP=y
> # CONFIG_PNP_DEBUG is not set

Your kernel set-up looks reasonable to me.

I don't have parallel port support generated into my system, as I don't
have a parallel printer.

On a Centos host with parallel port support, 2.6.18 kernel:

CONFIG_PARPORT=m
CONFIG_PARPORT_PC=m
CONFIG_PARPORT_SERIAL=m
# CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_FIFO is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_SUPERIO is not set
CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_PCMCIA=m
CONFIG_PARPORT_NOT_PC=y
# CONFIG_PARPORT_GSC is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_AX88796 is not set
CONFIG_PARPORT_1284=y
CONFIG_PARIDE_PARPORT=m
CONFIG_I2C_PARPORT=m
CONFIG_I2C_PARPORT_LIGHT=m

ls /dev/par* shows:

/dev/par0 /dev/parport0 /dev/parport1 /dev/parport2 /dev/parport3

Do you have a standard parallel port, or a special IO card?

Have you modified /etc/udev.d rules? I have these (unmodified) entries:

rules.d/50-udev.rules:KERNEL=="lp*", NAME="%k", GROUP="lp"
rules.d/50-udev.rules:KERNEL=="parport*", NAME="%k", GROUP="lp"

I'm puzzled by this, as your /dev/lp0 print test worked.

The only other suggestion I have would be to try:

hp-setup -i /dev/lp0

Don't know if hp-setup will accept this, might be worth having a go.

Cheers, Dave