Old 10-23-2010, 07:44 PM
James

Default usb stick autodiscovery

Hello,

On most of my kde workstations when I plug in a
usb(memory)stick and popup screen appears
"Devices recently plugged in:"

On one kde system, this does not occur and I
do not know what app/software to install or configure

lsusb shows the device properly, just like the other
system. None of the systems that work correctly use
coldplug, all have the dbus flag set in make.conf.

Any hints are most appreciated.

James

Old 10-23-2010, 07:49 PM
Jacob Todd

Diff your make.conf and package.use files. Somethong is probably missing.

On Oct 23, 2010 3:46 PM, "James" <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:> Hello,

Old 10-23-2010, 11:36 PM
Dale

James wrote:

Hello,

On most of my kde workstations when I plug in a
usb(memory)stick and popup screen appears
"Devices recently plugged in:"

On one kde system, this does not occur and I
do not know what app/software to install or configure

lsusb shows the device properly, just like the other
system. None of the systems that work correctly use
coldplug, all have the dbus flag set in make.conf.

Any hints are most appreciated.

James

On mine, I had to add the "device notifier" widget to the panel. That
is what does the little pop up here. Looks like one of your systems
didn't add that by default, mine didn't either tho.

Oh, the unmount/eject thingy don't work here. Do a sync command
somewhere after copying files over to make sure it didn't cache them
somewhere instead of writing them right then.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 10-24-2010, 01:49 AM
James

Dale <rdalek1967 <at> gmail.com> writes:

Hello Dale,

> On mine, I had to add the "device notifier" widget to the panel. That
> is what does the little pop up here. Looks like one of your systems
> didn't add that by default, mine didn't either tho.

Well device notifier is on the systems that work. somehow it
got deleted off this system....

I missing the 'dolphin file manager' and the 'usb viewer'
from the kde-4.4.2

Hmmmm, somehow this looks strange....

What the best way to rebuild all of the kde packages
on a (kde-meta) system? emerge kde-meta only rebuild the
meta package itself....

Or should I just re_emerge a few selected packages?

(PS, try this command 'lshal') just for grins......

James

Old 10-24-2010, 01:59 AM
Dale

James wrote:

Dale<rdalek1967<at> gmail.com> writes:

Hello Dale,

On mine, I had to add the "device notifier" widget to the panel. That
is what does the little pop up here. Looks like one of your systems
didn't add that by default, mine didn't either tho.

Well device notifier is on the systems that work. somehow it
got deleted off this system....

I missing the 'dolphin file manager' and the 'usb viewer'
from the kde-4.4.2

Hmmmm, somehow this looks strange....

What the best way to rebuild all of the kde packages
on a (kde-meta) system? emerge kde-meta only rebuild the
meta package itself....

Or should I just re_emerge a few selected packages?

(PS, try this command 'lshal') just for grins......

James

Well, I'm sure some guru has a better way to list all the KDE packages
installed but I use this:

qlist -I | grep kde

I then take that list and create a set and just emerge the set. It
worked a while back.

root@smoker / # lshal

Dumping 129 device(s) from the Global Device List:

I didn't know I had 129 devices in this rig. Sort of funny how much
"stuff" it takes to make a puter run nowadays.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 10-24-2010, 02:13 AM
James

James <wireless <at> tampabay.rr.com> writes:

What the heck, I'm rebuidling via:
emerge -D $(qlist -IC kde-base/)

...we'll see in the morning how it works.....

James

Old 10-24-2010, 01:30 PM
James

James <wireless <at> tampabay.rr.com> writes:

> emerge -D $(qlist -IC kde-base/)

Dolphin is back, it show up in the 'lost and found'
submenu in kde4.4.5 and it's icon is now a question
mark, so something is messed up. The kde4 usbviewer
app is missing...

How/what do I emerge to get this back?

Any suggestions are welcome, as googling
has been fruitless, up to this point.

James

Old 10-24-2010, 10:21 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 03:49 on Sunday 24 October 2010, James did
opine thusly:

> Dale <rdalek1967 <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> Hello Dale,
>
> > On mine, I had to add the "device notifier" widget to the panel. That
> > is what does the little pop up here. Looks like one of your systems
> > didn't add that by default, mine didn't either tho.
>
> Well device notifier is on the systems that work. somehow it
> got deleted off this system....
>
> I missing the 'dolphin file manager' and the 'usb viewer'
> from the kde-4.4.2
>
> Hmmmm, somehow this looks strange....
>
> What the best way to rebuild all of the kde packages
> on a (kde-meta) system? emerge kde-meta only rebuild the
> meta package itself....

emerge -avuND world

If that doesn't pull in the missing bits, you have USE flags and/or
package.mask getting in the way.

equery depends might help, but it's only accurate for stuff you already have.
For more complex things, I usually read the ebuild and see what *DEPEND says

You'll have to find what -meta package[1] pulls in dolphin and usb viewer
(grep ... *-meta/*ebuild) comes in handy here and then read those ebuilds to
find themerge conditions.

kde-meta is merely a meta package for other meta packages...

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 10-25-2010, 08:42 AM
Fatih Tümen

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 10:44 PM, James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On most of my kde workstations when I plug in a
> usb(memory)stick and popup screen appears
> "Devices recently plugged in:"
>
> On one kde system, this does not occur and I
> do not know what app/software to install or configure
>

> lsusb shows the device properly, just like the other
> system. None of the systems that work correctly use
> coldplug, all have the dbus flag set in make.conf.
>
> Any hints are most appreciated.
>
> James

Last time device notifier stopped popping up was when I fed up with
hal and built xorg-server without it. This does not seem to be your
case but just for the record...
--
* *Fatih

Old 10-26-2010, 06:35 PM
James

Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:

> emerge -avuND world

rebuild everything related to kde-base.

Device notifier is back, but you have to click
on the icon (on the panel bar) to get it to
'pop up' the app. On all the other system it does
this automatically. Device Notifier configured
the same on all system.....

I cannot find witch ebuild has (plasmoid?) device notifier in it.
part of knotify?....dunno....?

USE flags:

USE="mmx mmxext sse sse2 sse3 3dnow 3dnowext
X alsa amd64 avi berkdb bitmap-fonts cairo cdr cli crypt cups
-arts dbus dlloader dri dvdr eds elibc_glibc emboss encode esd fam
fortran gdbm gif gnome gpm gstreamer gtk gtk2 hal dvd wireshark wddx
input_devices_keyboard input_devices_mouse ipv6 jpeg kde vdr sockets
kernel_linux ldap libg++ mad mikmod mp3 mpeg ncurses nls nptl nptlonly
ogg opengl oss pam pcre pdflib perl png ppds pppd python qt3 qt4 quicktime
readline reflection sdl session spell spl ssl truetype truetype-fonts
type1-fonts udev unicode userland_GNU vorbis xml xorg xv java slp
dvb a52 aac aalib asf dts flac v4l v4l2 vcd win32codecs real x264
ffmpeg xvid acpi divx jack tiff mplayer usb ppds mjpeg lm_sensors xine
libcaca mng snmp imagemagick wmf dvdread lzo bl syslog css musepack
async gimpprint logitech-mouse mysql postgres gd pcre png dv zvbi
gmedia realmedia wmp aiglx pdf seamonkey live theora mozdevelop svg
mp4 wav examples source cddb corba apache2 tk jpeg2k gs pvr nsplugin xvmc
webkit qt3support sql
corefonts wma gnutls "

http://reviewboard.kde.org/r/3895/diff/

Maybe this is my problem? I've rebuild the entire kde/base collection.

Ideas?

James