Old 10-22-2010, 09:30 AM

Default emerge depclean gcc

Thank you for help.
Everything went smoothly.

To be on a save side I would like to unemerge old version of gcc with
--depclean switch. How can I revert my previous --noreplace operation
cleanly
besides emerge --unemerge =gcc-4.3.4.

Dnia 21-10-2010 o godz. 16:17 Paul Hartman napisaƂ(a):

Old 10-23-2010, 11:59 AM
daid kahl

2010/10/21 Michael Hampicke <gentoo-user@hadt.biz>:

>> May I just unmerge my old gcc ?
>> Is it save ?
>
> Yes it's save to unmerge your old gcc.
> You could also - using quickpkg - create a binary package of your old
> gcc before unmerging (for backup puropses).

From the strictly Gentoo side of things, it's safe (following
instructions already posted).

However, for myself, I use tons of third party physics software, among
other things. A lot of it is not very recent, and sometimes they are
picky about which gcc compiles is (and sometimes I need a shell script
to switch the gcc for execution of those programs and switch back
afterward...joy!)

So if you do a lot of compiling of external programs that are not as
well maintained and updated, there's not a lot of reason to *unmerge*
an old gcc. There are two reasons to actually remove gcc's in my
opinion: revdep-rebuild wants to reinstall all of them, you need the
disk space.

I have 10 options under gcc-config. I'm not at all recommending this
to everyone, but just making the point that, depending on what other
things you have going on, it's a good idea to check any third party
stuff, at the very least, before just removing it, since there's not
much harm in keeping a few extra gccs around for rainy days.

~daid