Old 10-22-2010, 02:02 AM
James

Default baselayout --> openrc ?

Hello,

Well here it seems that openrc is going ~arch

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-688090.html

So has it been decided that openrc is the way forward?

Any caveats with openrc we should be aware of?

James

Old 10-22-2010, 02:18 AM
Beau Henderson

That post is 2 years old. IMHO something that's not been stabalized in that long of a period of time
is worth waiting for unless you full on ~arch already.

That said, I use Calculate linux which is mostly stable but has OpenRC by default and I don't have
any issues.

--
Kind Regards,
Beau Henderson

Old 10-22-2010, 10:13 AM
Michael Hampicke

> Any caveats with openrc we should be aware of?

# genlop -l | grep openrc
Thu Apr 24 14:05:53 2008 >>> sys-apps/openrc-0.2.2

I've been running baselayout2/openrc oder 2.5 years now without any
problems. Of course this does not mean it will run smoothly on your
gentoo box.

As I recall upgrading to b2/openrc involves lots of changed config files
(mostly conf.d init init.d), so you have to be a little careful.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:18 AM
David Relson

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 12:13:16 +0200
Michael Hampicke wrote:

> > Any caveats with openrc we should be aware of?
>
> # genlop -l | grep openrc
> Thu Apr 24 14:05:53 2008 >>> sys-apps/openrc-0.2.2
>
> I've been running baselayout2/openrc oder 2.5 years now without any
> problems. Of course this does not mean it will run smoothly on your
> gentoo box.
>
> As I recall upgrading to b2/openrc involves lots of changed config
> files (mostly conf.d init init.d), so you have to be a little careful.

My recollection was of

(1) being scared that I'd get the changes wrong for baselayout2
(2) the changes were easy and went smoothly
(3) no problems!

FWIW, i've been using baselayout2/openrc since August 2008.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:29 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 07:18:38 -0400, David Relson wrote:

> > As I recall upgrading to b2/openrc involves lots of changed config
> > files (mostly conf.d init init.d), so you have to be a little
> > careful.
>
> My recollection was of
>
> (1) being scared that I'd get the changes wrong for baselayout2
> (2) the changes were easy and went smoothly
> (3) no problems!

I have a similar recollection. Openrc will be stabilised at some time,
so you may as well do the upgrade when you feel like it rather that when
the devs decide to flip a keyword.

--
Neil Bothwick

It's not a bug, it's tradition!

Old 10-22-2010, 03:06 PM
Paul Hartman

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 5:13 AM, Michael Hampicke <gentoo-user@hadt.biz> wrote:
>> Any caveats with openrc we should be aware of?
>
> # genlop -l | grep openrc
> * * Thu Apr 24 14:05:53 2008 >>> sys-apps/openrc-0.2.2
>
> I've been running baselayout2/openrc oder 2.5 years now without any
> problems. Of course this does not mean it will run smoothly on your
> gentoo box.
>
> As I recall upgrading to b2/openrc involves lots of changed config files
> (mostly conf.d init init.d), so you have to be a little careful.

Same here, no problems since day 1 in fully ~amd64 Gentoo system.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:19 PM
Stroller

On 22 Oct 2010, at 12:29, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> ... Openrc will be stabilised at some time,
> so you may as well do the upgrade when you feel like it rather that when
> the devs decide to flip a keyword.

I thought this was a matter of debate - Openrc was IIRC the creation of Roy Marples, who was originally a Gentoo dev and the baselayout maintainer.

As Roy developed baselayout 2 (or "baselayout - The Next Generation", as you might call it) he decided to generalise it, AFAICT, in order to make it useful to other distros or unices (e.g. the BSDs).

Roy is no longer a Gentoo dev and is no longer maintaining Openrc:
http://roy.marples.name/projects/openrc

I understood the future of Openrc within Gentoo to be in question:
http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_ce55de133ca592b638db758c9e457370.xml
or http://tinyurl.com/3xglcqb

Roy is the author, his own words:
The fact that several people said they would attempt a
stable push and then gave up (I was one - lol) says quite a
bit really.

That Gentoo-dev thread was 3 or 4 months ago, and I haven't read all of it today. But based on my understanding, I would discourage anyone in stable from migrating to Openrc unless they need to, or unless they're deciding to run entirely ~arch packages on their system. From my understanding I would "wait and see", and migrate when the devs decide the time is right for a mass migration of stable users.

Stroller.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:54 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 17:19:51 +0100, Stroller wrote:

> > ... Openrc will be stabilised at some time,
> > so you may as well do the upgrade when you feel like it rather that
> > when the devs decide to flip a keyword.
>
> I thought this was a matter of debate - Openrc was IIRC the creation of
> Roy Marples, who was originally a Gentoo dev and the baselayout
> maintainer.
>
> As Roy developed baselayout 2 (or "baselayout - The Next Generation",
> as you might call it) he decided to generalise it, AFAICT, in order to
> make it useful to other distros or unices (e.g. the BSDs).

> Roy is no longer a Gentoo dev and is no longer maintaining Openrc:
> http://roy.marples.name/projects/openrc

I sit corrected.

> I understood the future of Openrc within Gentoo to be in question:
> http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_ce55de133ca592b638db758c9e457370.xml

An interesting read, until the rants start, we'll just have to wait and
see.

--
Neil Bothwick

If you consult enough experts, you can confirm any opinion.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:12 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 22.10.2010 17:06, schrieb Paul Hartman:

> Same here, no problems since day 1 in fully ~amd64 Gentoo system.

Same here (just for the records).

Old 10-22-2010, 08:32 PM
Alan McKinnon

Apparently, though unproven, at 18:19 on Friday 22 October 2010, Stroller did
opine thusly:

> On 22 Oct 2010, at 12:29, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > ... Openrc will be stabilised at some time,
> > so you may as well do the upgrade when you feel like it rather that when
> > the devs decide to flip a keyword.
>
> I thought this was a matter of debate - Openrc was IIRC the creation of Roy
> Marples, who was originally a Gentoo dev and the baselayout maintainer.
>
> As Roy developed baselayout 2 (or "baselayout - The Next Generation", as
> you might call it) he decided to generalise it, AFAICT, in order to make
> it useful to other distros or unices (e.g. the BSDs).
>
> Roy is no longer a Gentoo dev and is no longer maintaining Openrc:
> http://roy.marples.name/projects/openrc
>
> I understood the future of Openrc within Gentoo to be in question:
> http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_ce55de133ca592b638db758c9e457370.
> xml or http://tinyurl.com/3xglcqb

Did you and I read the same mail thread? I read all of it - did you?

The end result of that is not that there is a question over openrc, it is that
openrc will proceed. And anyone else that wants to pursue systemd or any other
init system is free to go ahead and show up on gentoo-dev with running code.
Meanwhile, openrc is where it's going.

The thread started with someone wondering about openrc; I disagree with your
conclusion about where it ended.

> Roy is the author, his own words:
> The fact that several people said they would attempt a
> stable push and then gave up (I was one - lol) says quite a
> bit really.
>
> That Gentoo-dev thread was 3 or 4 months ago, and I haven't read all of it
> today. But based on my understanding, I would discourage anyone in stable
> from migrating to Openrc unless they need to, or unless they're deciding
> to run entirely ~arch packages on their system. From my understanding I
> would "wait and see", and migrate when the devs decide the time is right
> for a mass migration of stable users.

That's a straw man argument. Roy left Gentoo because of conflicts between his
wish to be 100% POSIX compliant and most everyone else thinking they should
just stick with bashisms and gentooisms. Which is kinda reasonable considering
that portage REQUIRES bash.

Roy did not leave openrc development becuase it's a lost cause. He left
apparently because it stopped being fun - the usual (and often only valid)
case for such things.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com