Old 10-22-2010, 01:11 AM
James

Default bluetooth audio

All,

Anyone have experience with a2dp + bluetooth? I've been Googling this
for quite a while and have not really gotten lucky with setting this
up.

First off, I'm running xfce4 and find that most of the tools don't
work very well with this window manager. For example, the Gentoo
documentation is fairly specific to Gnome and KDE. Is Blueman the only
non-Gnome and non-KDE tool that works well with xfce4?

Also, the a2dp thing has me pulling my hair out. Is the *only* way to
use a2dp with pulseaudio? Is there no way to simply redirect all audio
to the bluetooth headset?

Anyone who can toss some experience in my direction would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks!
-james

Old 10-24-2010, 05:07 AM
James

Thoughts?

-james

Old 10-26-2010, 09:23 AM
Christian Apeltauer

Am Fri, 22 Oct 2010 01:11:35 +0000
schrieb James <jtp@nc.rr.com>:

> Also, the a2dp thing has me pulling my hair out. Is the *only* way to
> use a2dp with pulseaudio? Is there no way to simply redirect all audio
> to the bluetooth headset?
>
> Anyone who can toss some experience in my direction would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
> -james

It is possible to setup alsa using bluetooth:
Add to ~/.asoundrc (if it doesn't exist just create it)

pcm.bluetooth {
type bluetooth
device "11:22:33:44:55:66"
}

(replace 11:22:33:44:55:66 with the actual
address of the bluetooth headset). Sound can now be directed to the
headset via the alsa device "bluetooth", e.g.:

ogg123 -d alsa -o dev:bluetooth

Some GUI application doesn't show that device in their configuration
dialogue. vlc is an example of this behaviour, but it is possible to
make vlc use it by manually editing the configuration file.

You can also make the bluetooth device the standard device by

pcm.!default {
type bluetooth
device "11:22:33:44:55:66"
}

It is a long time since I made that setup, so I can't say if it will
work out of the box. But it is possible to avoid pulseaudio. I hope it
will help.
Best regards
Christian