Old 10-21-2010, 12:18 PM

Default emerge depclean gcc

Hi
I have upgraded my gentoo recently.
New version of gcc-4.4.3-r2 has been emerged.
Now I have 2 versions of gcc:
gcc-4.3.4
gcc-4.4.3-r2

There are still many packages compiled with the old version of gcc and
now I don't want to rebuild them all with a new version.
emerge --depclean wants to unemerge my old version of gcc.

May I just unmerge my old gcc ?
Is it save ?

Old 10-21-2010, 01:24 PM
Michael Hampicke

> May I just unmerge my old gcc ?
> Is it save ?

Yes it's save to unmerge your old gcc.
You could also - using quickpkg - create a binary package of your old
gcc before unmerging (for backup puropses).

Old 10-21-2010, 02:17 PM
Paul Hartman

2010/10/21 <fajfusio@wp.pl>:
> Hi
> I have upgraded my gentoo recently.
> New version of gcc-4.4.3-r2 has been emerged.
> Now I have 2 versions of gcc:
> gcc-4.3.4
> gcc-4.4.3-r2
>
> There are still many packages compiled with the old version of gcc and
> now I don't want to rebuild them all with a new version.
> emerge --depclean wants to unemerge my old version of gcc.
>
> May I just unmerge my old gcc ?
> Is it save ?

use gcc-config to select the new gcc as your default compiler

env-update

source /etc/profile

fix_libtool_files.sh 4.3.4

emerge --oneshot libtool

then unmerge the old version of gcc

revdep-rebuild just to be safe

I think that should be all that's needed. I don't think there's any
reason to recompile world or anything like this.