Old 10-19-2010, 05:45 PM
Jarry

Default gcc upgrade: Active gcc profile is invalid!

Hi,
I just tried to upgrade gcc (stable amd64, from 4.4.3-r2
to 4.4.4-r2) following the procedure recommended in Gentoo
GCC Upgrade Guide:

emerge -uav gcc

At the end of compilation, I got these strange messages:

* gcc-config: Could not locate 'x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.3'
in '/etc/env.d/gcc/'
!
* Running 'fix_libtool_files.sh 4.4.3'
* Scanning libtool files for hardcoded gcc library paths...
cat: ld.so.conf.d/*.conf: No such file or directory
* gcc-config: Active gcc profile is invalid!
gcc-config: error: could not run/locate 'gcc'
:0: assertion failed: (gcc -dumpversion) | getline NEWVER)
>>> Original instance of package unmerged safely.
* Switching native-compiler to x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.4 ...
* gcc-config: Active gcc profile is invalid!
* Your gcc has a bug with GCC_SPECS.
* Please re-emerge gcc.
* http://bugs.gentoo.org/68395

>>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
[ ok ]

* If you intend to use the gcc from the new profile in an already
* running shell, please remember to do:

* # source /etc/profile

* If you have issues with packages unable to locate libstdc++.la,
* then try running 'fix_libtool_files.sh' on the old gcc versions.
* You might want to review the GCC upgrade guide when moving between
* major versions (like 4.2 to 4.3):
* http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-upgrading.xml

>>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
>>> Recording sys-devel/gcc in "world" favorites file...
>>> Auto-cleaning packages...
>>> No outdated packages were found on your system.

* Regenerating GNU info directory index...
* Processed 7 info files.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:02 PM
Zeerak Mustafa Waseem

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 07:45:58PM +0200, Jarry wrote:
> Hi,
> I just tried to upgrade gcc (stable amd64, from 4.4.3-r2
> to 4.4.4-r2) following the procedure recommended in Gentoo
> GCC Upgrade Guide:
>
> emerge -uav gcc
>
> At the end of compilation, I got these strange messages:
> ================================================== ==
>
> * gcc-config: Could not locate 'x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.3'
> in '/etc/env.d/gcc/'
> !

<snip>

> * Please re-emerge gcc.
> * http://bugs.gentoo.org/68395

<snip>

That should do it

--
Zeerak Waseem

Old 10-19-2010, 06:57 PM
Jarry

I just tried to upgrade gcc (stable amd64, from 4.4.3-r2
to 4.4.4-r2) following the procedure recommended in Gentoo
GCC Upgrade Guide:

emerge -uav gcc

At the end of compilation, I got these strange messages:
* gcc-config: Could not locate 'x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.3'
in '/etc/env.d/gcc/'
!

<snip>

* Please re-emerge gcc.
* http://bugs.gentoo.org/68395

<snip>

That should do it

Thanks, "emerge --oneshot gcc" really seems to have fixed it.
I just think it is somehow time-consuming, emerging gcc two times.
Especially when I have to repeat it with my 12 gentoo servers.
Sequentially, unfortunatally, as they share the same hardware...

Jarry

Old 10-19-2010, 06:59 PM
Tanstaafl

On 2010-10-19 1:45 PM, Jarry wrote:
> Hi,
> I just tried to upgrade gcc (stable amd64, from 4.4.3-r2
> to 4.4.4-r2) following the procedure recommended in Gentoo
> GCC Upgrade Guide:

? Current stable gcc is 4.4.3-r2 on amd64?

Old 10-19-2010, 07:02 PM
Andrea Conti

On 19/10/2010 19:45, Jarry wrote:
> Hi,
> I just tried to upgrade gcc (stable amd64, from 4.4.3-r2
> to 4.4.4-r2) following the procedure recommended in Gentoo
> GCC Upgrade Guide:
>
> emerge -uav gcc
>
> At the end of compilation, I got these strange messages:
> ================================================== ==
>

> in '/etc/env.d/gcc/'
> !
> * Running 'fix_libtool_files.sh 4.4.3'
> * Scanning libtool files for hardcoded gcc library paths...
> cat: ld.so.conf.d/*.conf: No such file or directory

> :0: assertion failed: (gcc -dumpversion) | getline NEWVER)
> * Switching native-compiler to x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.4 ...
> * gcc-config: Active gcc profile is invalid!
> * Your gcc has a bug with GCC_SPECS.
> * Please re-emerge gcc.
> * http://bugs.gentoo.org/68395

> * If you intend to use the gcc from the new profile in an already
> * running shell, please remember to do:
>

> * If you have issues with packages unable to locate libstdc++.la,
> * then try running 'fix_libtool_files.sh' on the old gcc versions.
> * You might want to review the GCC upgrade guide when moving between
> * major versions (like 4.2 to 4.3):
> * http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-upgrading.xml

> * Regenerating GNU info directory index...
> * Processed 7 info files.
> ================================================== ==
>
> What does that "invalid profile" mean, and how can I fix it?

Well... it means that the active gcc profile is invalid

You can have several gcc versions installed on your system for a given
target arch; each version has an associated profile and you can choose
the active one (i.e. which version is run when you type "gcc") by using
gcc-config.

When you do a regular (i.e. -multislot) gcc upgrade, the active profile
must be changed from the old version to the new one; the ebuild should
take care of this for you but sometimes it chokes in the process.

First you have some warnings about the old profile being broken -- which
is expected as you just uninstalled the old gcc version:

> * gcc-config: Could not locate 'x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.3'
[...]
> * gcc-config: Active gcc profile is invalid!
> gcc-config: error: could not run/locate 'gcc'

Then the new profile is correctly selected:

> * Switching native-compiler to x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.4 ...

It's not clear to me whether the following warnings (let alone the whole
"your gcc is broken" scary thing) are caused by the new profile being
actually broken or -- more likely -- by the problems encountered when
trying to do something with the old profile.

Try a simple "gcc -v" in a new shell. If it works, you are fine.
If it does not work, try again after doing "gcc-config 1".
If it still does not work, well, you're in for lots of fun.

HTH,
andrea

Old 10-19-2010, 07:04 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

I just tried to upgrade gcc (stable amd64, from 4.4.3-r2
to 4.4.4-r2) following the procedure recommended in Gentoo
GCC Upgrade Guide:

emerge -uav gcc

At the end of compilation, I got these strange messages:
* gcc-config: Could not locate 'x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.3'
in '/etc/env.d/gcc/'
!

<snip>

* Please re-emerge gcc.
* http://bugs.gentoo.org/68395

<snip>

That should do it

Thanks, "emerge --oneshot gcc" really seems to have fixed it.

What he meant was the link to bugs.gentoo.org, where it is explained
that you don't need to do anything and all is fine; the message that
tells you to re-emerge gcc is bogus; you do not need to re-emerge it.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:07 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 20:57:18 +0200, Jarry wrote:

> I just think it is somehow time-consuming, emerging gcc two times.
> Especially when I have to repeat it with my 12 gentoo servers.
> Sequentially, unfortunatally, as they share the same hardware...

Why not use --buildpkg the first time and --usepkg the other 11 times?

--
Neil Bothwick

deja vous - the act of forgetting someone's name /again/ despite being
introduced to them several times.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:10 AM
李健

+1

2010/10/20 Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk>

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 20:57:18 +0200, Jarry wrote:

> I just think it is somehow time-consuming, emerging gcc two times.

> Especially when I have to repeat it with my 12 gentoo servers.

> Sequentially, unfortunatally, as they share the same hardware...

Why not use --buildpkg the first time and --usepkg the other 11 times?

--

Neil Bothwick

deja vous - the act of forgetting someone's name /again/ despite being

introduced to them several times.

--
Jian Li

Old 10-21-2010, 05:35 PM
Jarry

Especially when I have to repeat it with my 12 gentoo servers.
Sequentially, unfortunatally, as they share the same hardware...

Why not use --buildpkg the first time and --usepkg the other 11 times?

They have slightly different use-flags. But I do not know if some
of them might have impact on gcc too...

Jarry

Old 10-21-2010, 06:38 PM
Dale

Jarry wrote:

Especially when I have to repeat it with my 12 gentoo servers.
Sequentially, unfortunatally, as they share the same hardware...

Why not use --buildpkg the first time and --usepkg the other 11 times?

They have slightly different use-flags. But I do not know if some
of them might have impact on gcc too...

Jarry

Just do a emerge -pv gcc and see if the USE flag is listed there. If it
is, then this may not work. If it is not, you should be able to use the
--buildpkg feature.

Dale

:-) :-)