FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-19-2010, 08:51 AM
Florian Philipp
 
Default Upgrading from FX-5200 to a GeForce 6200 512MB

Am 19.10.2010 09:45, schrieb Dale:
> Hi,
>
> I am thinking of upgrading from a FX-5200 with 128Mb video card to a
> GeForce 6200 with 512MB. It will be AGP since this is a older rig. My
> system is something like this:
>
> Mobo: Abit NF7 2.0
> CPU: AMD 2500+ No overclocking
> Memory: 2Gbs of 333Mhz.
> Monitor: Gateway 19" running 1280 x 1024
>
> I think my memory is fine, it never uses all of it, or even half of it,
> except for caching stuff. I may try to get a 3000+ or 3200+ CPU if I
> can run up on a good deal. I'm thinking of doing the video card first
> because it is cheaper. I have also noticed that playing movies on here
> is getting a bit slow if I go full screen or close to full screen. I'm
> bad to download from youtube and then play them locally full screen or
> as close as it will allow.
>
> I do use the nvidia drivers. Currently:
>
> nvidia-drivers-173.14.25
>
> I'm on that one because I think I need to upgrade my kernel to use the
> latest one that was recently put in the tree. I'm looking at this card:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133328
>
> What kind of improvement can I expect from this video card upgrade?
> While I am at it, the CPU upgrade won't make that much difference
> right? Maybe 20% or so faster or something like that?
>

Hi Dale,

first and foremost, a newer card will allow you to use the newest driver
series (195.*.*) which is always a good thing

It also gives you more texture units. You can use these to transfer more
work to your GPU (mostly scaling and such). Take a look at `man mplayer`
section '-vo gl' for a list of options.
VLC has similar options, I think. I don't know about gstreamer or xine.

I could be wrong but I don't think that adobe-flash uses these options.
That is probably part of the problem why flash is so much slower on
GNU/Linux than on Windows. If my assumption is true, you are better off
buying a faster CPU.

You could also test how gnash performs. Since it uses ffmpeg (AFAIK) it
might be worth a try.

Please take my advices with a big dose of salt. While I still run an old
desktop with nearly identical specs, I almost never use Youtube and
therefore have no experience with that.

Hope this helps,
Florian Philipp
 
Old 10-19-2010, 11:38 AM
David W Noon
 
Default Upgrading from FX-5200 to a GeForce 6200 512MB

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 09:50:02 +0200, Dale wrote about [gentoo-user]
Upgrading from FX-5200 to a GeForce 6200 512MB:

>I am thinking of upgrading from a FX-5200 with 128Mb video card to a
>GeForce 6200 with 512MB. It will be AGP since this is a older rig.

From where does one obtain an AGP card these days? I have 4
motherboards with AGP or AGP Pro slots, and I'm damned if I can find
decent video cards for them.

>Monitor: Gateway 19" running 1280 x 1024

Why do you need a slick card on a monitor of that age, or are you
upgrading the monitor too?

Last week bought a Hanns.G HH251 24" monitor that does Full HD. I plan
to install it today, after I have calculated the mode lines for the
X.Org configuration. I'll report back when it is running, if anybody is
interested.

Incidentally, is anybody interested in a mode line calculator program?
I'll be writing it later today, and I'll make it open source if there
is any interest.
--
Regards,

Dave [RLU #314465]
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
dwnoon@ntlworld.com (David W Noon)
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
 
Old 10-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Dale
 
Default Upgrading from FX-5200 to a GeForce 6200 512MB

David W Noon wrote:

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 09:50:02 +0200, Dale wrote about [gentoo-user]
Upgrading from FX-5200 to a GeForce 6200 512MB:



I am thinking of upgrading from a FX-5200 with 128Mb video card to a
GeForce 6200 with 512MB. It will be AGP since this is a older rig.


From where does one obtain an AGP card these days? I have 4
motherboards with AGP or AGP Pro slots, and I'm damned if I can find
decent video cards for them.



Monitor: Gateway 19" running 1280 x 1024


Why do you need a slick card on a monitor of that age, or are you
upgrading the monitor too?



There is a link in the original message to where I found this one. They
had more cords to that are AGP. I may get a monitor one day but not
sure what king. I like the CRT's for my puter tho.




Last week bought a Hanns.G HH251 24" monitor that does Full HD. I plan
to install it today, after I have calculated the mode lines for the
X.Org configuration. I'll report back when it is running, if anybody is
interested.

Incidentally, is anybody interested in a mode line calculator program?
I'll be writing it later today, and I'll make it open source if there
is any interest.



Dale

:-) :-)
 
Old 10-19-2010, 12:23 PM
Dale
 
Default Upgrading from FX-5200 to a GeForce 6200 512MB

Florian Philipp wrote:

Am 19.10.2010 09:45, schrieb Dale:


Hi,

I am thinking of upgrading from a FX-5200 with 128Mb video card to a
GeForce 6200 with 512MB. It will be AGP since this is a older rig. My
system is something like this:

Mobo: Abit NF7 2.0
CPU: AMD 2500+ No overclocking
Memory: 2Gbs of 333Mhz.
Monitor: Gateway 19" running 1280 x 1024

I think my memory is fine, it never uses all of it, or even half of it,
except for caching stuff. I may try to get a 3000+ or 3200+ CPU if I
can run up on a good deal. I'm thinking of doing the video card first
because it is cheaper. I have also noticed that playing movies on here
is getting a bit slow if I go full screen or close to full screen. I'm
bad to download from youtube and then play them locally full screen or
as close as it will allow.

I do use the nvidia drivers. Currently:

nvidia-drivers-173.14.25

I'm on that one because I think I need to upgrade my kernel to use the
latest one that was recently put in the tree. I'm looking at this card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133328

What kind of improvement can I expect from this video card upgrade?
While I am at it, the CPU upgrade won't make that much difference
right? Maybe 20% or so faster or something like that?



Hi Dale,

first and foremost, a newer card will allow you to use the newest driver
series (195.*.*) which is always a good thing

It also gives you more texture units. You can use these to transfer more
work to your GPU (mostly scaling and such). Take a look at `man mplayer`
section '-vo gl' for a list of options.
VLC has similar options, I think. I don't know about gstreamer or xine.

I could be wrong but I don't think that adobe-flash uses these options.
That is probably part of the problem why flash is so much slower on
GNU/Linux than on Windows. If my assumption is true, you are better off
buying a faster CPU.

You could also test how gnash performs. Since it uses ffmpeg (AFAIK) it
might be worth a try.

Please take my advices with a big dose of salt. While I still run an old
desktop with nearly identical specs, I almost never use Youtube and
therefore have no experience with that.

Hope this helps,
Florian Philipp




This particular card I think uses the latest 260.* drivers. That's
according to the nvidia site but sometimes that is not correct either.


Anyway, I always download the videos off youtube or where ever and then
watch them with smplayer locally. It generally works better for the
most part. I just have the slow DSL so it skips a bit on some if I
don't download it first. I do need a faster CPU but want to get the
card first. I do sometimes max out the CPU when watching a video but I
think most of the time it is the card that is just getting old and needs
a new one that is a little faster at least. For the price, I was going
to get a card that is a good bit faster.


You are right about the flash thingy. It is a lot slower on this rig.
It even slows scrolling down the web pages. It sort of ticks me off
sometimes. It is slow on my brothers system to tho. He has windoze XP
still. I'm working on putting Linux on there.


Work on the CPU next I hope. ;-)

Dale

:-) :-)
 
Old 10-19-2010, 12:30 PM
András Csányi
 
Default Upgrading from FX-5200 to a GeForce 6200 512MB

On 19 October 2010 13:38, David W Noon <dwnoon@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 09:50:02 +0200, Dale wrote about [gentoo-user]
> Upgrading from FX-5200 to a GeForce 6200 512MB:
>
>>I am thinking of upgrading from a FX-5200 with 128Mb video card to a
>>GeForce 6200 with 512MB. *It will be AGP since this is a older rig.
>
> From where does one obtain an AGP card these days? *I have 4
> motherboards with AGP or AGP Pro slots, and I'm damned if I can find
> decent video cards for them.

A month ago I bought new video card and I was totaly surprised because
the store pricelist were AGP cards. Few year ago I spoke with my
former boss that to buy AGP video card is impossible. It looks like we
were wrong...

--
- -
--* Csanyi Andras (Sayusi Ando)* -- http://sayusi.hu --
http://facebook.com/andras.csanyi
--* ""Trust in God and keep your gunpowder dry!" - Cromwell
 
Old 10-19-2010, 12:42 PM
Florian Philipp
 
Default Upgrading from FX-5200 to a GeForce 6200 512MB

Am 19.10.2010 14:23, schrieb Dale:
> Florian Philipp wrote:
>> Am 19.10.2010 09:45, schrieb Dale:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am thinking of upgrading from a FX-5200 with 128Mb video card to a
>>> GeForce 6200 with 512MB. It will be AGP since this is a older rig. My
>>> system is something like this:
>>>
>>> Mobo: Abit NF7 2.0
>>> CPU: AMD 2500+ No overclocking
>>> Memory: 2Gbs of 333Mhz.
>>> Monitor: Gateway 19" running 1280 x 1024
>>>
>>> I think my memory is fine, it never uses all of it, or even half of it,
>>> except for caching stuff. I may try to get a 3000+ or 3200+ CPU if I
>>> can run up on a good deal. I'm thinking of doing the video card first
>>> because it is cheaper. I have also noticed that playing movies on here
>>> is getting a bit slow if I go full screen or close to full screen. I'm
>>> bad to download from youtube and then play them locally full screen or
>>> as close as it will allow.
>>>
>>> I do use the nvidia drivers. Currently:
>>>
>>> nvidia-drivers-173.14.25
>>>
>>> I'm on that one because I think I need to upgrade my kernel to use the
>>> latest one that was recently put in the tree. I'm looking at this card:
>>>
>>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133328
>>>
>>> What kind of improvement can I expect from this video card upgrade?
>>> While I am at it, the CPU upgrade won't make that much difference
>>> right? Maybe 20% or so faster or something like that?
>>>
>>>
>> Hi Dale,
>>
>> first and foremost, a newer card will allow you to use the newest driver
>> series (195.*.*) which is always a good thing
>>
>> It also gives you more texture units. You can use these to transfer more
>> work to your GPU (mostly scaling and such). Take a look at `man mplayer`
>> section '-vo gl' for a list of options.
>> VLC has similar options, I think. I don't know about gstreamer or xine.
>>
>> I could be wrong but I don't think that adobe-flash uses these options.
>> That is probably part of the problem why flash is so much slower on
>> GNU/Linux than on Windows. If my assumption is true, you are better off
>> buying a faster CPU.
>>
>> You could also test how gnash performs. Since it uses ffmpeg (AFAIK) it
>> might be worth a try.
>>
>> Please take my advices with a big dose of salt. While I still run an old
>> desktop with nearly identical specs, I almost never use Youtube and
>> therefore have no experience with that.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Florian Philipp
>>
>>
>
> This particular card I think uses the latest 260.* drivers. That's
> according to the nvidia site but sometimes that is not correct either.
>
> Anyway, I always download the videos off youtube or where ever and then
> watch them with smplayer locally. It generally works better for the
> most part. I just have the slow DSL so it skips a bit on some if I
> don't download it first. I do need a faster CPU but want to get the
> card first. I do sometimes max out the CPU when watching a video but I
> think most of the time it is the card that is just getting old and needs
> a new one that is a little faster at least. For the price, I was going
> to get a card that is a good bit faster.
>
[...]

Ah, in that case tweaking your mplayer config might really help. Look at
the man page for options (-vo gl:...).

You really have to try every option and sometimes reasonable
combinations. I've found that even if the man page says it is a slow
option, sometimes it's the fastest. As I've said before, you will reach
the maximum number of texture units in your card, therefore certain
options will not work together but the man page tells you how many
texture units each option needs. With that info it should be easy to
tweak your settings.

To get you going, try mplayer -vo gl:yuv=2:lscale=1:cscale=1 <file>
Don't forget to test it in fullscreen mode.

You can later apply these options either in /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf or
in ~/.mplayer/config like this: "vo=gl:yuv=2:lscale=1:cscale=1"

Hope this helps,
Florian Philipp
 
Old 10-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Peter Humphrey
 
Default Upgrading from FX-5200 to a GeForce 6200 512MB

On Tuesday 19 October 2010 12:38:35 David W Noon wrote:

> Incidentally, is anybody interested in a mode line calculator
> program? I'll be writing it later today, and I'll make it open
> source if there is any interest.

Someone posted a link to one of those just the other day.

--
Rgds
Peter. Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.
 
Old 10-19-2010, 03:02 PM
Paul Hartman
 
Default Upgrading from FX-5200 to a GeForce 6200 512MB

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 8:44 AM, Peter Humphrey
<peter@humphrey.ukfsn.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 October 2010 12:38:35 David W Noon wrote:
>
>> Incidentally, is anybody interested in a mode line calculator
>> program? I'll be writing it later today, and I'll make it open
>> source if there is any interest.
>
> Someone posted a link to one of those just the other day.

Maybe it was me mentioning x11-apps/amlc

 
Old 10-19-2010, 03:44 PM
Paul Hartman
 
Default Upgrading from FX-5200 to a GeForce 6200 512MB

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 2:45 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am thinking of upgrading from a FX-5200 with 128Mb video card to a GeForce
> 6200 with 512MB. *It will be AGP since this is a older rig. *My system is
> something like this:
>
> Mobo: *Abit NF7 2.0
> CPU: AMD 2500+ *No overclocking
> Memory: *2Gbs of 333Mhz.
> Monitor: *Gateway 19" running 1280 x 1024

Based on the selection at Newegg, I would highly recommend going with
one of the Radeon HD 3650 or 4650 cards which only cost a little more
than the one you're looking at. HD3650 is going to be 5x faster than
GeForce 6200 and HD4650 probably 10x faster.

I think your motherboard supports AGP 8x, and I'm not sure if there
are any power supply considerations or other features (number of DVI
heads, etc) but anyway that's my 2 cents.

I am an Nvidia video card guy through and through, but in this case
the AGP Nvidia cards on offer there are ancient and slow compared to
their ATI counterparts.
 
Old 10-19-2010, 08:27 PM
Dale
 
Default Upgrading from FX-5200 to a GeForce 6200 512MB

Paul Hartman wrote:

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 2:45 AM, Dale<rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:


I am thinking of upgrading from a FX-5200 with 128Mb video card to a GeForce
6200 with 512MB. It will be AGP since this is a older rig. My system is
something like this:

Mobo: Abit NF7 2.0
CPU: AMD 2500+ No overclocking
Memory: 2Gbs of 333Mhz.
Monitor: Gateway 19" running 1280 x 1024


Based on the selection at Newegg, I would highly recommend going with
one of the Radeon HD 3650 or 4650 cards which only cost a little more
than the one you're looking at. HD3650 is going to be 5x faster than
GeForce 6200 and HD4650 probably 10x faster.

I think your motherboard supports AGP 8x, and I'm not sure if there
are any power supply considerations or other features (number of DVI
heads, etc) but anyway that's my 2 cents.

I am an Nvidia video card guy through and through, but in this case
the AGP Nvidia cards on offer there are ancient and slow compared to
their ATI counterparts.




I'm a nvidia guy. I'm not big on ATI at all. Just sort of not my cup
of tea. I have read they have better Linux support than a long time ago
but they came in a little to late for me.


I just wish that thing had a bigger heat sink on it with fans. I may
change that thing pretty quick.


Thanks.

Dale

:-) :-)
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:39 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org