Old 11-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Alan McKinnon

Default Upgrading from FX-5200 to a GeForce 6200 512MB

Apparently, though unproven, at 18:49 on Thursday 11 November 2010, Dale did
opine thusly:

> Dale wrote:
> > I did a test just then and my video was slow again. This is what I
> > get now.
> >
> > root@smoker / # glxgears
> > Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
> > approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
> > 677 frames in 5.6 seconds = 120.183 FPS
> > 1 frames in 7.6 seconds = 0.132 FPS
> > 1 frames in 7.6 seconds = 0.132 FPS
> > 1 frames in 8.2 seconds = 0.122 FPS
> > 1 frames in 7.6 seconds = 0.131 FPS
> > 1 frames in 7.6 seconds = 0.132 FPS
> > XIO: fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server
> > ":0.0"
> >
> > after 46 requests (46 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
> >
> > root@smoker / #
> >

> > So, looks like emerge -e world didn't help after all. So what should
> > I check now? Do I need to get my hammer out?
> >
> > Dale
> >
> > :-) :-)
>
> False alarm. I looked at top and noticed that that stupid hp-systray
> was using about 90% of my CPU. I killed that thing and now it plays
> fine again.
>
> I do wish they would fix that thing. For some reason hp-systray does
> that from time to time. It is usually after dbus has a hiccup. Logging
> out of KDE and back in again usually fixes it tho.
>
> Anyway, back to normal. Well, normal for me anyway. ;-)

Whatever hp-systray is, I'd dump it.

When a single app or feature kills the entire machine and it's ability to draw
on the screen, it's time to find a way to do without the app.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 11-12-2010, 12:46 AM
Dale

Dale wrote:

[...]

Well, it makes my printer print. That's what I *think* anyway. I may
not need it anymore. I need to check on that. It has been doing that
once in a blue moon for a long time. Usually, it is after I upgrade
dbus and the config file changes and I haven't restarted both dbus and
KDE. There seems to be some sort of clash between the two, or three,
and the race is on and my CPU is the gas pedal. I didn't pay much
attention this very last time but once before it was dbus, hp-systray
and something KDE that was fighting. Bad thing is, it started last
night and raced all night long and I didn't notice it. My eyes were
closed. I'm trying to run folding since it is cool now and it wasted
all my folding time on worthless crap. :-@

I just wish it would suicide itself instead of making my CPU go nuts.
Glad I have a HUGE CPU heat sink too.

Dale

:-) :-)