Old 10-19-2010, 07:45 AM
Dale

Default Upgrading from FX-5200 to a GeForce 6200 512MB

Hi,

I am thinking of upgrading from a FX-5200 with 128Mb video card to a
GeForce 6200 with 512MB. It will be AGP since this is a older rig. My
system is something like this:

Mobo: Abit NF7 2.0
CPU: AMD 2500+ No overclocking
Memory: 2Gbs of 333Mhz.
Monitor: Gateway 19" running 1280 x 1024

I think my memory is fine, it never uses all of it, or even half of it,
except for caching stuff. I may try to get a 3000+ or 3200+ CPU if I
can run up on a good deal. I'm thinking of doing the video card first
because it is cheaper. I have also noticed that playing movies on here
is getting a bit slow if I go full screen or close to full screen. I'm
bad to download from youtube and then play them locally full screen or
as close as it will allow.

I do use the nvidia drivers. Currently:

nvidia-drivers-173.14.25

I'm on that one because I think I need to upgrade my kernel to use the
latest one that was recently put in the tree. I'm looking at this card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133328

What kind of improvement can I expect from this video card upgrade?
While I am at it, the CPU upgrade won't make that much difference
right? Maybe 20% or so faster or something like that?

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks.

Dale

:-) :-)