Old 01-31-2008, 07:42 PM
maxim wexler

Default emerge -uD world: another obstacle

Hi group,

7 more pkgs to fetch -- 42 more to compile

Thanks to everyone's help I'm starting to get the hang
of it. There's been a lot of "die" messages but I've
been able to overcome them, sometimes on my own!

But here's a tangle I can't sort out:

>>> Compiling source in
/var/tmp/portage/app-crypt/qca-tls-1.0-r3/work/qca-tls-1.0
Configuring qca-tls ...
Verifying Qt 3.x Multithreaded (MT) build environment
... fail

There was an error compiling 'conf'. Be sure you have
a proper
Qt 3.x Multithreaded (MT) build environment set up.

One possible reason is that you don't have
libqt-mt.so.3 installed in /usr/qt/3/lib/.

*
* ERROR: app-crypt/qca-tls-1.0-r3 failed.
* Call stack:
* ebuild.sh, line 1701: Called
dyn_compile
* ebuild.sh, line 1039: Called qa_call
'src_compile'
* ebuild.sh, line 44: Called
src_compile
* qca-tls-1.0-r3.ebuild, line 28: Called die
* The specific snippet of code:
* ./configure || die "configure failed"
* The die message:
* configure failed
*
* If you need support, post the topmost build error,
and the call stack
if relevant.

A likely source of the problem could be when I was
advised to "compile qt with thread support" which I
took to mean USE="threads" etc. But when I looked at
the log it just mentions the verbose switch, nothing
about threads. Another might be that qt-4.3.3 is
currently on my system and there's no such thing as
/usr/qt/4...

If anybody needs more to go on I'll attach whatever
log you need in my reply.

Maxim

Old 01-31-2008, 08:39 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 31 January 2008, maxim wexler wrote:
> Hi group,

> /var/tmp/portage/app-crypt/qca-tls-1.0-r3/work/qca-tls-1.0

Here the only thing that depends on qca-tls is kopete with the ssl USE
flag set

> Configuring qca-tls ...
> Verifying Qt 3.x Multithreaded (MT) build environment
> ... fail
>
> There was an error compiling 'conf'. Be sure you have
> a proper
> Qt 3.x Multithreaded (MT) build environment set up.
>
> One possible reason is that you don't have
> libqt-mt.so.3 installed in /usr/qt/3/lib/.

On my system that file comes from qt-3.3.8-r4 which is there because I
have qt3 in my USE

> *
> * ERROR: app-crypt/qca-tls-1.0-r3 failed.
> * Call stack:
> * ebuild.sh, line 1701: Called
> dyn_compile
> * ebuild.sh, line 1039: Called qa_call
> 'src_compile'
> * ebuild.sh, line 44: Called
> src_compile
> * qca-tls-1.0-r3.ebuild, line 28: Called die
> * The specific snippet of code:
> * ./configure || die "configure failed"
> * The die message:
> * configure failed
> *
> * If you need support, post the topmost build error,
> and the call stack
> if relevant.
>
> A likely source of the problem could be when I was
> advised to "compile qt with thread support" which I
> took to mean USE="threads" etc. But when I looked at
> the log it just mentions the verbose switch, nothing
> about threads. Another might be that qt-4.3.3 is
> currently on my system and there's no such thing as
> /usr/qt/4...

"threads" in qt-3 is something I recall from very long ago, and it went
away at some time. It certainly isn't in qt-3.3.8 anymore

> If anybody needs more to go on I'll attach whatever
> log you need in my reply.

What's your USE in make.conf?
I'd like to see your dependency tree. Please post the output
of "emerge -pvuNDt world" so we can figure out what's pulling in what

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 01-31-2008, 08:53 PM

> A likely source of the problem could be when I was
> advised to "compile qt with thread support" which I
> took to mean USE="threads" etc. But when I looked at
> the log it just mentions the verbose switch, nothing
> about threads. Another might be that qt-4.3.3 is
> currently on my system and there's no such thing as
> /usr/qt/4...
>
> If anybody needs more to go on I'll attach whatever
> log you need in my reply.
>
> Maxim

What does 'emerge -p qt' say?
I think it lists the use flags.
I think the 'threads' use flag should be something else.
I have no idea what though.
Maybe I can guess from my use flags.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:32 PM
Dale

bjlockie@lockie.ca wrote:
>> A likely source of the problem could be when I was
>> advised to "compile qt with thread support" which I
>> took to mean USE="threads" etc. But when I looked at
>> the log it just mentions the verbose switch, nothing
>> about threads. Another might be that qt-4.3.3 is
>> currently on my system and there's no such thing as
>> /usr/qt/4...
>>
>> If anybody needs more to go on I'll attach whatever
>> log you need in my reply.
>>
>> Maxim
>>

> What does 'emerge -p qt' say?
> I think it lists the use flags.
> I think the 'threads' use flag should be something else.
> I have no idea what though.
> Maybe I can guess from my use flags.

I think you have to add the -v option too for flags to show up. Keep
the -p tho.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 02-01-2008, 01:02 AM
maxim wexler

> What's your USE in make.conf?
> I'd like to see your dependency tree. Please post
> the output
> of "emerge -pvuNDt world" so we can figure out

29k, I've attached it.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:20 AM
maxim wexler

> What does 'emerge -p qt' say?
> I think it lists the use flags.
> I think the 'threads' use flag should be something
> else.

I guess I wasn't clear. emerge -p qt doesn't mention
'threads' so I added it: USE="threads" emerge -v qt.
According to the HOWTO or wiki or ? USE="threads" is
legit. And portage didn't complain, but in the emerge
log which usually re-iterates every command verbatim,
USE="threads" is nowhere to be found.

-mw

Old 02-01-2008, 03:39 AM
Iain Buchanan

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 18:20 -0800, maxim wexler wrote:
> > What does 'emerge -p qt' say?
> > I think it lists the use flags.
> > I think the 'threads' use flag should be something
> > else.
>
> I guess I wasn't clear. emerge -p qt doesn't mention
> 'threads' so I added it: USE="threads" emerge -v qt.
> According to the HOWTO or wiki or ? USE="threads" is
> legit. And portage didn't complain, but in the emerge
> log which usually re-iterates every command verbatim,
> USE="threads" is nowhere to be found.

$ equery u qt | grep -i thread
<nothing>

I assume therefore that qt doesn't have a threads use flag. Also, a
better way to specify a use flag than on the command line is
in /etc/portage/package.use.

If you say `emerge -va blah` you will see the use flags available, and
get prompted if you want to continue installing. quicker than `emerge
-p blah; emerge blah`

HTH,

Steal my cash, car and TV - but leave the computer!
-- Soenke Lange <soenke@escher.north.de>

Old 02-01-2008, 06:44 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Friday 01 February 2008, maxim wexler wrote:
> > What's your USE in make.conf?
> > I'd like to see your dependency tree. Please post
> > the output
> > of "emerge -pvuNDt world" so we can figure out
>
> 29k, I've attached it.

Hmmm, nothing odd there form what I can see

> > what's pulling in what
>
> From make.conf(Oct 16, 2006!)
>
> <...>
> USE="16bit 3dnow cdparanoia dvd dri dvdread fat
> firefox ftp gdb glx
> ieee1394 javascript lame mmx mozilla mplayer ntfs
> posix reiserfs
> sse svga usb verbose win32codecs wma -berkdb
> -bitmap-fonts -crypt
> -debug
> -eds -emboss -expat -fortran -gnome -gstreamer
> -kde -lcms -mikmod
> -nls -spell"
> <...>

And that looks normal too.

Did qca-tls emerge properly yet?

Old 02-01-2008, 05:19 PM
maxim wexler

> Did qca-tls emerge properly yet?

No, but this bit is new:

Configuring qca-tls ...
Verifying Qt 3.x Multithreaded (MT) build environment
... fail

Unable to find Qt mkspecs. Please set QTDIR
manually. Perhaps you need to install Qt 3
development utilities. You may download them either
from the vendor of your operating system or from
www.trolltech.com

I have /usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/...
/usr/include/qt/4.../usr/include/qt4.../usr/lib/qt4.

Hmm, interesting, /usr/bin/qt3to4. Dare I run it?

What options should I use. I don't want to make a bad
situation worse.

localhost ~ # qt3to4 --help
Tool for porting Qt 3 applications to Qt 4, using the
compatibility library
and compatibility functions in the core library.
Usage: qt3to4 [options] <Infile>, [Infile], ...

Infile can be a source file or a project file.
If you specify a project file, ending with .pro or
.pri,
qt3to4 will port all files specified in that project.

-h Display this help.
-alwaysOverwrite Port all files without
prompting.
-rulesFile Specify the location for
the rules file.
-I Add directory to the
list of directories to be searched for header files.
-disableCppParsing Disable the C++ parsing
component.
-disableBuiltinQt3Headers Do not use the built-in
Qt 3 headers.
-missingFileWarnings Warn about files not
found while searching for header files.
-strict Be stricter when
selecting which tokens to replace.

The porting documentation contains more information on
how
to use qt3to4 as well as general porting information.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:37 PM
Alex Schuster

maxim wexler writes:

> Configuring qca-tls ...
> Verifying Qt 3.x Multithreaded (MT) build environment
> ... fail
>
> Unable to find Qt mkspecs. Please set QTDIR
> manually. Perhaps you need to install Qt 3
> development utilities. You may download them either
> from the vendor of your operating system or from
> www.trolltech.com
>
> I have /usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/...
> /usr/include/qt/4.../usr/include/qt4.../usr/lib/qt4.

I guess you need Qt version 3 for that, which is not onstalled, according
to your emerge output: emerge -a <qt-4

Maybe you can also re-build Qt 4 with the qt3support USE flag, but I guess
this would not help.

> Hmm, interesting, /usr/bin/qt3to4. Dare I run it?

That's only for converting you own Qt 3 projects to Qt 4.

Wonko