Old 02-01-2008, 09:00 PM
maxim wexler

Default emerge -uD world: another obstacle

--- Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> wrote:

> maxim wexler writes:
>
> > Configuring qca-tls ...
> > Verifying Qt 3.x Multithreaded (MT) build
> environment
> > ... fail
> >
> > Unable to find Qt mkspecs. Please set QTDIR
> > manually. Perhaps you need to install Qt 3
> > development utilities. You may download them
> either
> > from the vendor of your operating system or from
> > www.trolltech.com
> >
> > I have /usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/...
> >
> /usr/include/qt/4.../usr/include/qt4.../usr/lib/qt4.
>
> I guess you need Qt version 3 for that, which is not
> onstalled, according
> to your emerge output: emerge -a <qt-4

localhost ~ # emerge -a <qt-4
^^
what does this do?

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild NS ] x11-libs/qt-3.3.8-r4 USE="cups gif
ipv6 opengl -debug -doc -examples -firebird -immqt
-immqt-bc -mysql -nas -nis -odbc -postgres -sqlite
-xinerama"

> Maybe you can also re-build Qt 4 with the qt3support
> USE flag, but I guess
> this would not help.

How do v4 and v3 differ? If I'm in the midst of -uD
world would one be preferable?

> > Hmm, interesting, /usr/bin/qt3to4. Dare I run it?
>
> That's only for converting you own Qt 3 projects to
> Qt 4.

Very useful info.

mw

Old 02-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Alex Schuster

maxim wexler writes:

> --- Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> wrote:
> > maxim wexler writes:

> > I guess you need Qt version 3 for that, which is not
> > onstalled, according
> > to your emerge output: emerge -a <qt-4
>
> localhost ~ # emerge -a <qt-4
> ^^
> what does this do?

It emerges Qt with a version lower than 4.

The backslash "" escapes the "<", because the shell would take it as
redirection character.

wonko@knork ~ --> emerge -p <qt-4
bash: qt-4: No such file or directory

You could also write "emerge -a '<qt-4'". In a shell script, the escaping
with or ' is not necessary.

> Calculating dependencies... done!
> [ebuild NS ] x11-libs/qt-3.3.8-r4 USE="cups gif
> ipv6 opengl -debug -doc -examples -firebird -immqt
> -immqt-bc -mysql -nas -nis -odbc -postgres -sqlite
> -xinerama"
>
> > Maybe you can also re-build Qt 4 with the qt3support
> > USE flag, but I guess
> > this would not help.
>
> How do v4 and v3 differ? If I'm in the midst of -uD
> world would one be preferable?

No worries, you can have both at the same time. See the [ebuild NS] output
above? This tells that this package is new. If it would downgrade your
Qt-4, you would see [ebuild UD]: something is updated to another version,
and this will be a downgrade. The S tells this package is slotted,
meaning that different versions may co-exist.

I would emerge Qt-3. You may continue your world update with
emerge --resume afterwards.

In case another package fails, you can add the --skipfirst option to
emerge, this will skip it and continue with the rest of the world update.
This may, however, introduce later problems, if another package needs the
failed one.

Wonko